Still studying Mars

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Still studying Mars

Postby jims » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 am

I've always wanted to be an astronaut and walk around on Mars. Yesterday, I found a website that allows me or anyone to do that. Check out http://marspans.com/vr/index.htm You can walk around Spirit Rover on Mars. It is really cool!! Notice that Mars is nice and clean. People are not there yet. I hope when we go to live there we do not litter the beautiful landscape with beer cans, Mountain Dew bottles, cigarette butts, and plastic bags like we do on Earth. There are no mosquitoes on Mars; I hope it always stays that way. Also, I've put together hundreds of pages about Mars for the online encyclopedia Wikipedia. It is fun to live your dreams, even though they may not be popular or sexy. Jim S
jims
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Still studying Mars

Postby Unity » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Jim, You are the same person that wrote about Mars in the past on here am I right? I was telling some of my family about that just the other week during a discussion about astronomy. I was wondering when you were going to give us an update on your experiences.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Very cool. And very cool that you are living your dreams. Did they recover the rover or just leave it there?? If they just left it there then we're already littering Mars. Re: Littering the earth--see the movie Wall-e and notice why they moved off the earth.......and how long Wall-e was there working on cleaning it up & how much was left to do. Did you know that despite all the billions of stars out there that scientists can see with telescopes, they have never actually, physically seen any planets in any solar system except our own. They have seen 'shadows' and noticed 'wobbles' in the pathways of certain stars that they believe are indicators that that star might have a planet or planets orbiting it. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:45 pm

sallypz wrote:Did you know that despite all the billions of stars out there that scientists can see with telescopes, they have never actually, physically seen any planets in any solar system except our own.
They've discover a few hundred, somewhere around high 300's to just over 400 from what I find. Even though the vast majority were discovered with indirect methods (the wobbles, etc.) besides vision, it is possible to see some under exceptional conditions, and usually they are the very, very large ones. Now, the unknown question is are there Earth-like planets that would support life as we know it? The Earth has just the right mass to contain an atmosphere, has water, etc., and is very small relatively. Stars are huge, that's why we see billions of them (many much larger than our sun). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasolar_planet http://exoplanets.org/ http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/ http://www.spacetoday.org/DeepSpace/Sta ... anets.html
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jims » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:17 am

Thanks for the replys. I have continued to study Mars and the rest of the universe for years. I found a site that allows regular people to suggest places to take pictures of with the Mars Odyseey that is orbiting Mars. It is really cool--they have a large goggle globe of Mars that you work with. It feels like you are flying around Mars. You move around then focus down on interesting places. Some places are so well photographed that you could see a Martian if he was lying down for a sun tan. For my work on Wikipedia, I looked at many thousands of Mars images, then picked the best. I use information in press releases and journals to write commentary on the geology in the image. I often add arrows and labels in the images. I'm trying to describe all parts of Mars in such a way that anyone can understand. So far, I've posted many hundreds of photos. I'm especially proud of the article, "Water on Mars," that I just completed. My aim now is to post information about new discoveries within 24 hours of its release. So generally, every week there is some major release. Yes, over 400 planets have been discovered around other stars. Today, I saw pictures of a planet that was with a sun-like star. There was one other picture of a planet taken before, but the planet was quite large. The techniques we are using can only detect very large planets. However, some of these planets probably have moons which might support life. We all have opinions about things, including life in the universe. There is not much evidence either way for other life, so we are all correct in out ideas--we can't prove them no matter what they are. That said, my opinion is that life is common throughout the universe, but intelligent life may be very rare. Our Earth has undergone many extinctions. Nearly all forms of higher life were eliminated many times--sort of like the flood in the Bible. Jim S
jims
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:58 am

jims wrote:That said, my opinion is that life is common throughout the universe, but intelligent life may be very rare. Our Earth has undergone many extinctions.
There was a good article in Skeptic magazine about the chance that humans would have evolved exactly the way we are again, or somewhere else. With all the branches that evolution took for us (and extinctions), it would be very unlikely for it to happen the exact same way somewhere else. Unless of course you believe in the parallel universe theory of time :).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:30 am

Please note in the 1st wikipedia article listed above, the table at the end of the article states 'the first planet seen by visible light was in 2008' . The article I'd read stating that no plant was actually seen via telescope was from before then. It acknowledged the indirect methods, but indirect methods are still suppositions, good indicators but still suppositions, until a planet was actually seen via light telescope. I wasn't doubting that planets exist, just pointing out that planets in solar systems other than our own are a much less proven phenoma than people generally believe. I tend to think that we are such a science fiction soaked society that the general population thinks real science is farther along than it really is. The earth is a much rarer phenoma than the general population believes, especially as a living supporting planet. If we ruin the earth we can't simply move off and go somewhere else. Which, by the way we treat the earth, is what many people seem to believe. My opinion too is that life may be out there somewhere. However, it may not be life like we know it. Life like we have on earth would take a similar set of unique circumstanses that we have here. Which would be statistically almost impossible to recreate. I think it will also be, at least, hundreds of years before we discover other intelligent life in the universe. I also think that if we continue to work to destroy the earth as we are that we aren't quite so intelligent as we think we are. sa;;ypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:31 pm

sallypz wrote:I tend to think that we are such a science fiction soaked society that the general population thinks real science is farther along than it really is.
Maybe in a lot of areas, but what I find amazing is watching Star Trek in the 60's and now seeing people with cell phones. With virtual reality advances, someday we'll be able to experience anything, probably a lot sooner than really finding real stuff "out there".
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Agreed about the cell phones. (love Star Trek). Makes me wonder---did the inventors purposely use that as a guideline for what to invent or was it just coincidence??? Jules Verne and other science fiction writers also predicted a lot of things that have come to pass. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:27 pm

sallypz wrote:Makes me wonder---did the inventors purposely use that as a guideline for what to invent or was it just coincidence???
Well, we did have walkie talkies. I guess the cell phone makes the range a lot bigger and and it seems more like the Star Trek communicators.
Communicators use subspace transmissions that do not conform to normal rules of physics; signals can bypass EM interference, and the devices allow nearly instantaneous communication at distances that would otherwise require more time to traverse.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jims » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:59 am

Our progress in technology is amazing. Some scientists have had subjects control machines with their brain waves. One story on the evening news described reading a person's mind by studying his brain waves. The machine was able to guess how a person would answer multiple choice questions. So we may not even have to type or even talk to robots of the future. They will just do what we want. But, will these advances make us happier? Did the calculators, computers, and cell phones make us happier? get along better? become better people? feel more secure? Jim S
jims
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:31 am

jims wrote: ... Did the calculators, computers, and cell phones make us happier? get along better? become better people? ...
I think it made us more isolated (at least person to person). All I ever see is people on the buses and trains talking on their cell phones instead of talking to the people waiting for the bus or train with them. Computers make it a lot easier to just stay home and be on the computer with virtual people.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:14 am

I agree. It seems people are more isolated than ever. We seem to use these things as a crutch rather than an assistive device. Originally technological advances were called time savers...but if that's so them why did society become more stressful than ever. No, they did not make us happier....happiness does not come from any exterior device. possession or source. Happiness comes from within you. It is actually a decision you make about yourself and your life. If a person decides they are a happy person, or basically a happy person, or going to be happy no matter what, then that is what they, consciously and subconsciously will make themselves be. Even the poor tribesman who lives in a hut and has no modern technology can be a happy person...they are not 'excluded' from happiness just because they don't have modern technology. We have also become extremely dependent on technology. If some disaster were to happen and all the technology all of a sudden, didn't work. Most people would have no idea how to live and how to survive. Most people would have no idea of how to live of the land. (Sorry just saw the movie 2012 so my mind is on disaster thinking....most of the people who 'survived' in that movie would have rapidly died when they landed anyway because they would have no idea how to survive after being dependent on technology and others to take care of their every need. The people who would have done the best after landing were the old Chinese couple who had already lived off the land for their entire lives.) There's a children's toy out that claims it enables the child to move objects with their mind. I havn't purchased it, nor looked at it very closely just saw something like that advertised in a Toys R Us flyer. sallypz (MoxieMe) PS. I like my virtual people. I am(was) very shy in reality and virtual world has helped me learn to speaK my mind freely. It's a new skill for me and the effects have started spilling over into my "real" life.
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories