150 Steps for January '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps for January '10

Postby Mannix » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:54 am

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for January '10

Postby tapit123 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 am

Hey there- back again, though with a slightly different handle, because for some reason I couldn't log on with my old one of just tapit. Thanks for keeping this thread going! I can hardly wait to start checking in tomorrow.
tapit123
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

new year new stuff

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi, Thanks Mannix for keeping this going. My week will be quite tightly scheduled. After an amazing therapy/energy healing session yesterday, I awoke full of vim that I'm striving to sustain. Party tonight, two tomorrow, bridge on Sunday. Can't we stretch these things out over the year? Then, focused on work-hours M-F and coming home to get ready for a consulting project on Friday. If I feel I am getting ahead a bit maybe an energy healing circle on Tuesday. Have been mulling over a new discovery about working Full-Time—my best time of day of work is being lost to productive service! My best time is two-hours after I wake up (whenever that is) and that time is sucked into mundanity 5, 6, or even 7 days every week, you know, shaving, showering, eating, dressing, etc. Themes for 2010-Brave Decisiveness and Year of my Writing. Goals are trying to sneak back in, but I don't do goals anymore. Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:10 am

Happy New Year everyone :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tapit123 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:41 am

Great beginning to the New Year. Husband snoring downstairs in the bedroom. I had the TV on to the Times Square Bash- but mostly on mute. Cat snoozing beside me. I'm the only one who gets totally jazzed about this holiday, so I usually spend it alone or on the phone with my friends these days. But here's what happened. I got off the phone with a friend in HI at about 11.30 and opened up the computer. I began working on a play I've been revising and found myself really immersed in it. At midnight (I turned up the sound at around 11.58) I grabbed the cat and hugged her and kissed her and then went back to the play, which is shaping up slowly. So. I felt great that I began the new year doing what I hope will fill my whole year- creative work- esp. playwriting and giving love to my feline pal! This morning, when I was shoveling the last of yesterday's snow, I realized that Jan. 1 really should be called National Makeover Day. It's the one day of the year that a significant part of the population is doing its best to become their best. Happy New Year!
tapit123
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

InLaws Day 10: Happy New Year!

Postby Mannix » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:01 am

Hi, everybody, happy new year! Tapit123, welcome back! I think at one time there was a comment that old screen names were going to be deleted, so if you didn't use your old name for awhile, that may be what happened. We are almost to the end of the Unbelievably Long InLaw Stay. They are going home Sunday morning. However, it is yet to be determined whether my mother- and father-in-law will be moving in for another week. :!: I don't know what I'm going to do when this is all over. My former routines are going to seem very unfamiliar. Gotta go now, we are all going to breakfast. Have a great day, everyone! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

oh one oh one

Postby Lynx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey team, I'm making decisions! Called a friend and told him I wouldn't make his party (too much to do). Downloaded some programs and started trying to figure them out. Found a binder I need for my consulting project. Accomplished some minor chores I've been avoiding. Started entering my checks again to return to balancing my checkbook. (Usually I give it a careful look over and file). Finding time to rest and read a lot. Welcome back Tapit123 and keep up the writing. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:47 am

Got a lot accomplished yesterday, rent paid, some paperwork organized and mailed out about 10 work/job search related letters. It was a good, productive day. Must do some more organizing today. Getting myself organized for teaching the Spring semester. Made up a list of on-line sites for professional organizations, educational resources, professional magazines, professional support sites for my students (and myself)...found a lot of interesting professional-related sites. Came up with 2 reasonably priced, very interesting, professional organazations to join---will look good on my resume---and on my Grad School applications. Must get myself organized for Grad school. Unfortunately this semester is going to cost much more than I expected...they tack on fees etc..which raises the price. Have to go get the books this week. Work on getting my status changed from 'student-at-large' to actually into the program...have to get some letters of recommendation and mail those in. Also, both teaching at college level, and going to grad school got me thinking of doing something in a new direction this year. They both ask if you are published in any professional publications. I'm thinking I might write an article or two and submit them for publication in some professional publications. Being published would look great/impressive on my resume & perhaps make me a 'better candidate' when I apply for jobs. I'll have to research the various publications first and see what kind of articles they're looking for in their publications. Many of the professional organizations I found in my above mentioned search put out publications, one, a more local, fledgling group, even is looking for presenters to speak at their meetings--that would be unpaid/volunteering, but also a great place to start for developing skills as a presenter/lecturer. I have a couple ideas on subject matter, that even if they don't get published, would still be useful as base material for a term paper or two if needed. This may take a few months. but it's an interesting challenge for 2010. I like this direction. Just in case we have to move when the lease is up in June (the landlord died this past year---they were an elderly couple and they both passed away--the family members that inherited the house want to put it up for sale--they may not want to renew the lease) we've started looking at houses (an on-line search)/ areas to consider moving to....I'd like to stay in this area....but if we find something decent, more reasonably priced in a different suburb, that may be the deciding factor. We're even looking at houses to purchase, just in case we can figure out how to do that (financially). Took a drive yesterday late afternoon to drive past a few we'd found on our search.....found one that was absolutely gorgeous, in a little wooded area, looked like the house I'd always dreamed of living in....well, we'll keep an eye on that one on the market and keep it in mind....then saw a two flat, and a couple others that were OK too....shall keep an eye on those two....and continue to see what comes up. Am saying lots of prayers about help with the financial situation....that, along with hard work, helps a lot. 2009 is 'put to bed' in my mind, and 2010 is started new, afresh with it's hopes/dreams/plans/projects. It will be a positive, productive and good year. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 am

Hi all, Welcome back tapit :D Well, I'm even more confused than I was before :lol: that cousin and the family stuff. In my last email (which I talked about here) I asked yet again, to tell me what she knows and once again she's asking questions but not answering mine. Cowardly way out, I'm not going to reply. I'm not telling my Aunty about it (she's a widow) because she and my cousin have only just started talking again after a very long rift and apart from that, Aunty refuses to talk about the past to the cousin. I wish I had never said anything in the first place now. :bash: As I'm writing this I'm thinking that I've created a rod for my own back. I'm going to email her now and tell her what I know. Hell with the consequences.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Witness

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Sally and Unity, Sally, seems you're getting some momentum going. Way to go. Unity, created a rod for my own back. lite a candle, take a deep breath, hit send! Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi all, Thanks Lynx. I sent it. Didn't expect to hear back for days but I just found her reply and not at all what I was expecting after revealing all that stuff she wanted to know which was upsetting to me and I told her that in advance. She didn't say a word about any of it and told me to leave it alone. To be honest, I'm a bit annoyed and even used, if that's the right word. And will think of this as a lesson not to get involved in something I feel uncomfortable about. I have a habit of offering help to people and regretting it afterwards. Lynx - you were good declining the party invitation. Did you tell the truth or make up an excuse? :D Sally good luck with your plans for new accommodation. A house near the woods sounds lovely. Mannix, I empathise with your current routines out of sync, my son has just gone home today and this now means I can get back to normal so the house won't be full of muddly cycling stuff and I won't be on edge he's gone out and left the front door open - which happens a lot. Even the other day when I was at home talking to him upstairs, I had no idea the door had been left wide open until I felt a very cold draft of air. So you've potentially got another week. So who does all the cooking and looking after them? Tapit, can I ask what's the play about?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Happy New Year One and All: Mannix: Thank you for taking care to repost the monthly success thread. Clearly we have one of the best threads going and always have. I'm on the 15 minute computer here. So, I'm going to log off and log back on. PLG
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi again:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Hello PLG in 2010 :D I was thinking about your comments about how to spend your day without returning to smoking. If you read a similar post to yours and it was written by someone else, what advice would you give them if they asked you to give about 3 suggestions?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tapit123 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Wow- I'm getting dizzy keeping up with everyone's posts. I loved the fact that you declined the invitation, Lynx. I had to do the same earlier in December and was trying to think of all kinds of ways I could do it without hurting anyone's feelings. Finally, I just told the truth (I was feeling overwhelmed with things right then). What a relief. Why was it so hard? And what is your best time of day that you're losing??? Yikes, Unity- sounds like your family communications are really complicated. Hope you can breathe your way through them. But it also seems like you're doing your best to clear the air of negative secrets and miscommunication and that's always a great thing. Hopefully, it will make the rest of the year lighter. I've been shoveling a great deal instead of going to the gym the past few days, and have been eating better. Maybe eventually the scale will start to slide downward. I've signed up for http://weightchart.com which at least lets me see how things are trending. My most important goals this year are to get back into the play writing game (I don't know why, but it really seems important to me- so I'll let that be enough justification for now). There are a lot of calls out for ten minute plays, so I began working on four ideas that are particularly close to my heart. Wrote the rough drafts of all four over the past week, and they were dreadful. But, as they say, it's all in the rewrite. I finished the second drafts of two of them and am beginning on the next one. I also developed a set of questions that cut right to the bone and answering them, (which takes several tries) has really tightened up the work I'm doing. And I'm beginning to find the surprises along the way that make me know I'm on the right track. My first goal is to finish the four plays and get them out to a number of competitions and theatre groups that are looking for scripts. The other goal is to finish at least a section of the documentary about elephants that I started last year. I got most of the research done, lots of footage shot, and now need to shape it and shoot more stuff that I need. For some reason, that paralyzes me. I made some mistakes last year, and I really don't want to repeat them this year. The third thing is that I'm teaching short film classes at the local universities for their "learners over 50" programs and that takes a lot of prep time, but it's oh, so fun. It should be a good creative year.
tapit123
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories