150 Steps for January '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for January '10

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am

Hi everyone: I've got 3 minutes remaining here at the library.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi everyone: Where have all the steppers gone?
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey, everyone, Hi, PLG, I think the steppers are all still around. This seems to happen for some time most months - everyone goes off then comes back. Hope you were able to get away from the crazy guy. I'm planning to officially catch up with the boards tomorrow. Had my meeting with gig friend and it went well. I think things will work out this summer. Hope everyone is having a good week, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi everyone: I'm feeling a bit nervous.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi all PLG I'm still around, didn't have anything to say. Been in an excessive procrastination mode this week which I'm renaming as a holiday! Mannix, glad you feel positive about your meeting.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 am

Hello, everyone, Not feeling well today. My husband has been home sick all week and it looks like I've caught whatever he has. :( So progress has moved from slow to slower. Met with gig friend last Tuesday about her business. I felt good about the meeting - there isn't anything I don't think I can handle, and most of it I've done before. As for the Celtic band, I'm just going to do the one concert with them that weekend in May. That might actually require the most preparation time since I'll have to memorize a lot of tunes and practice improvising. So my goal is to get started on that now, so I'm not panicking at the end of April. Meanwhile, the other half of the project, looking at non-music interests, has ground to a halt. I'm having difficulty balancing everything. And being sick is not going to help this situation. :? PLG, how are you doing as a non-smoker? You've made so much progress! Sometimes, I think leaving the cellphone off is a good idea in general. (Mine inevitably rings when I'm driving the car.) Don't let someone else take away all the good work you've done for yourself! Lynx, hope the recycling situation is coming to a resolution. I agree - get the stress of the performance review over first, then enjoy lunch! Glad you got a good review! An8el, yes, I 've heard so often that when you're feeling down you should try to get out with friends even if you don't feel like it. It takes you out of yourself for a little while. I'm sorry about your friend. Hope you're feeling better. Sally, I've said it before, but, wow, you've got so much going! I've no doubt you'll get to your final goal. Satellite radio is fun, isn't it? :) OK, I've been awake for an hour. Time for a nap. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:00 am

Mannix--hope you are feeling better. Despite what all the cold capsules say--if what you've got is a cold one of the best things is a cup of hot lemonaide with a small shot of vodka in it---one of those every evening for 7 days---preferably sitting in front of a nice fireplace in your robe and jammies, on a very comfy chair, maybe listening to some good peaceful music---best thing for a cold--actually the lemonaide has vitamin C, the steam from it being hot is for your sinuses, and the little shot of vodka is relaxing------and to tell the truth---most colds go away by themselves after 7 days anyway---but the whole 'hot lemonaide' experience feels good. Got my car back---good bye satellite radio---maybe on the next car I buy---which is planned for after I graduate grad school. I'm enjoying the classes...even though they are hard. I'll have a chance to write a paper and have it assessed by an instructor that has been published. I have some ideas on articles for publication in professional magazines that I'd like to write someday (soon)...this will give me a chance to improve my writing style which will be helpful. We also have to present the paper in front of the class...Good 'Public speaking" practice, too. My own students are doing good. Better than I expected. More homework to look at this week end...but not as much as last week end. Also got the application in to the grad school that should move my status from 'Student at Large" to admitted into the actual program. I had to write a page long "statement of Goals" which I rewrote a few times before I was satisfied. Today have to visit the other school I'll be teaching at...have to use a computer on campus to turn on my email account....am not allowed to do that from my home computer.. Another goal for this next year...get a laptop!! Luckily because I need it for school toward furthering my professional education...it becomes tax deductable...as all my computer expenses have become since going back to school....but I still have to fit it into the budget where it won't be too big of an expense. It is good to feel that I'm working on improving my own future....and the futures of my students....and in the bigger picture..working to improve the health care system. The one blurb I heard on the news about the President's State of the Union address...was that he has given up on the health care bill....how sad...there are so m any people that can't afford health care right now....many of my students don't have health insurance too. (O, Well..that's another thread..) sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Sally, thanks for the tip, that does sound good! I don't think we have any lemonade but I know we have vodka. I wonder how it would work with lemon Thera-Flu? :lol: Your school computer situation seems obsolete. I would think there would be a demand for accounts that could be accessed at home, on a laptop in the coffee shop, etc. because everyone is so busy these days. Are the students at your school mostly residents, or do a lot of them commute? Re health care, I didn't see the State of the Union, but I can't believe Pres. Obama is giving up on health care reform. Maybe just this incarnation. As for me, I'm napping, reading, napping, eating lunch, napping, take a shower, napping, etc. Around 4pm I checked my e-mail for the first time today. Wouldn't you know my gig friend had suggested me for a gig tomorrow? She has gone on vacation. :? I contacted the guy and told him I couldn't do it. It would have meant digging the car out from under a lot of snow, driving to a crowded expo center to play for $30. And dealing with being sick as well. Hopefully, he has made other plans. OK, off to do ... hmmm ... not sure. Something that involves staying awake. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

january close out post

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Steppers, I'm still here. PLG - I feel your challenges with completing a year. About dealing with potential sabotage, I think you're wise to switch off the cell. It's like a personal no contact order. It's odd, I'm cutting out refined sugars and yet when I'm standing by the dessert table and I tell someone this suddenly many people become very effusively pleased with some bonbon they've just tasted. What's that about? It's like I just said I've taken a vow of poverty and then they offer me all their money. I can't remember the healthy things you do (outside of dancing, knitting, helping friends, giving rides, joining us here) that give your spirit a lift, but this is a good time to revive one. Massage? Live music in a smokefree place? A day at a spa? Yesterday I awoke and checked my email. Lo! Behold! There was a free all day conference on NLP/Hypnosis at the public library. Decided to go on the spot. I mean, I travel because my work needs me to, went to Atlanta because my mother wanted me to, supported the partial remodel of the bathroom because my partner asked me to, so dang it, I'm chucking my other plans and going to this workshop day because I wanted to. Glad I did. Reminded me of my NLP skills, and I got to observe others teaching this material. I'm fascinated, still, by the inner workings of our lives. NLP is so upbeat, 'you can make changes and get better results,' that I leave swimming in the afterglow of possibilities. The cap to the day was a stage hypnotist presenting her act! No, I didn't go on stage and let myself go under. Working on decisiveness this year. One of the presenters had his book available for half off. I'd looked at a copy for a couple of minutes and thought I might be a good reminder and perhaps I might learn a few things. I was on the lookout for how to buy a copy. When he announce he had just two left I called out "I'll take one!" Decisive! Because it was downtown, I slipped into the office and did my online timesheet (clocked it, it took half an hour). I felt mentally alert and this t.s. thing is a detail tangle, so it was a good thing. It's out of the way at least for another month. More decisiveness. Today, a bit of freecycling giveaway, some tax data entry, reading books I've accumulated, watch an online clip on investing and an I Ching group tonight. In other words, relaxing. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories