Inching closer to my BA

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Inching closer to my BA

Postby DreamThief » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I will take my third exam for upper level college credit tomorrow morning. After that I should only be 7 exams away from my BA!
:D I'll treat your dream like my own until it's fulfilled.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Inching closer to my BA

Postby skannie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Best of luck with it!
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DreamThief » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, I got a C. That's enough to get the credit, but not quite what I was hoping for. Ah well. This one was Juvenile Delinquency, next up to bat: Abnormal Psychology.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 am

C' is passing!! Hooray!!! Keep working on it!! Do you have a specific major? sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DreamThief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:01 am

Thanks! I'm headed for a Liberal Arts degree. I'm getting the credit by taking exams, and I have a short list of available exams to choose from.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 am

Best of luck. I'd heard that the exams can be harder than the actual classes...so your 'C' would have probablygot you a higher grad in the class. Good work!! What's the plan once you have a degree? sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DreamThief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:53 am

I'll need to re-enter the job market after nearly a decade away in order for us to save toward our son's trip to college. I don't have any particular career in mind, and since I'll be a scanner armed with a Liberal Arts degree I will hopefully be able to find something good within a reasonable distance. (OK, that was the cover story I rationalize with. I'm 43, in MENSA, and I only have a couple of Associate degrees. I just plain WANT my BA.) :D
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby velvet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Here's what someone assured me from the Transfer Center when I was talking about the stress of my first semester of a four year college: C's get degrees! Now, considering that my school is always in the top ten of schools for the USA, that was a pretty surprising motto for the biggest department at my campus, but it's true. C's get degrees! To get me through all the pressure to perform I told myself that all I had to get was a C on any assignment, paper, or test, and anything higher than a C was icing on the cake that would help give me a cushion towards just passing the class. That way, whatever grade I got, I was delighted to get it! If I got a B+, I wasn't moaning that I didnt get an A, I was celebrating that I not only passed, I had icing on the cake to help me pass the class. Now that I've earned my BA, I think it was one of the best standards to set for myself - I was so anxious and such a hard worker, that I needed to just be happy if I passed. I never did get a C, but I did get some B+ grades and I was happy about them. and I just got my final GPA from my fancy university: 3.724!! My last semester I went out with a big bang: A, A, and A+!! I didnt even know an A+ was possible, but there it is on my transcript, shiny and pretty as a diamond. :) I learned that setting my standards low and allowing for anything higher really worked to make me happy no matter what I got for a grade. Instead I focused on doing a good job for myself, and not worrying about the things I couldnt control, like what grade was written on it. So yay for your C, and yay for you taking tests and getting closer to that BA degree! Kudos to you!
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP
velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Good advice Velvet. DreamThief there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a BA just because you WANT to. In fact that's the perfect reason. Don't worry about the age thing either. I'm 56 and just now going back to school for a Masters Degree...basically "Just because I WANT to also"...but it will get me a job that 's in a higher financial bracket and in an area of specialty that I love. So far I'm enjoying the classes, although I'm scared about the grades....hope this ol' brain of mine has a few functioning brain cells left (LOL!!!) (I've a non-MENSA brain)....I'm not the oldest one in the class either. Best of luck with school. Hooray for YOU!!! sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DreamThief » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone! Good luck to you too sallypz! I just submitted my application to matriculate, so I've set a one year timer for myself. If I haven't completed the degree by then I'll need to pay the annual fee again. I seem to need to set these "countdowns" for myself in order to accomplish anything. :D
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Success Stories