150 Steps for February '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps for February '10

Postby Mannix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:29 am

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
Last edited by Mannix on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

love hate with list

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 am

Hi Steppers, Playing with autofocus has stirred my love/hate (L/H) relationship to lists. L: how I can do a brain dump and get all that chatter out of 'me head.' h: oh may, that too much. Reminder of a Kate Braverman line: "Goals? I don't have goals. I miss so much now, if I had goals I'd miss everything." l: the satisfaction of checking items off H: Chuck the list! I'm going to just wing it! L: moving things around on the list (as a substitute for actually doing them). h: Lynx, this is endless, the more you do the more you think to do. l: trying a new list format. I must have about 2 dozen to pick from now. h: yeah, sure, one format "fills-up" so you abandon it and start a fresh format! Only fooling yourself. l: big days when I move lots of things off the list. h: sluggish days when even the smallest tasks are riddled with gaffs and frustration. l: colors! h: priority order, look over list and pick top five for tomorrow, yada, yada, yada. After one day, you don't stick to the priorities. l: delegation. h: sloppy work where I have to redo anything. l: volunteers h: yuck list items (getting taxes done, most cleaning, straightening, people I barely stand). L: ... h: ... Lynx/Hynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for February '10

Postby sallypz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:42 am

It's February already!! Let's see what are the goals for February: --Get all my paperwork done for the 2nd job which starts in March. Get a notebook together for all the paperwork I have for that job. --Send out another resume...found a private school that teaches Practical Nurses...will send a resume there. --Keep up with schoolwork, reading, homework, studying for Grad School. Have a couple tests coming up..need to study. --Get all my students papers graded on time. Keep them moving in the direction they should go. --Have a research literature review paper to start writing...Need to decide on a topic...and a research statement..the research literature must be written by nurses about aspects of nursing....so far the leads are: the implications of psychoneuroimmuniology on nursing; or how does nurses use of standardized screening tools affect health care outcomes....I wanted to do Fetal Alcohol syndrome, however, despite the fact that the head of the CDC Task Force on FAS is a Nurse, nurses are apparently not researching in that area. --Have to go to some meetings at my little daughters school this month...they have decided that she needs "Special Education" classes...this may mean going to a different school(???).....no wonder she has come home with 'no homework' for about a week....it's like they've given up on her at this school....I've talked to her about this and about her learning problems...she's very upset about it, she was crying, she doesn't want to go to a different school. Must get this all sorted out. --Will get my first paycheck this month from work...I haven't had a paycheck in about a year...this is cause for celebration...also cause to try to keep up with my bills. --Also need to have some fun...little daughter is having a birthday this month...need to plan something for that....big daughter is expecting a 'sprinkle shower' before the baby girl is born...need to work on planning that too. --last, but not least, find ways to motivate myself to do all the above...and the things I forgot to write down. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi: I'm back for my 2nd 15 minute session. Lynx: I loved your dialogue about lists. I think you should do what's fun.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi again: I got back on here at the library. Lynx: Your list reminds me a little of the people on this website who spend a lot of time (if not most of their time) discussing decluttering or their resistance. My attitude about this issue is that the person might be better off spending less time worrying about decluttering and/or resistance and just kind of do anything at all. On the other hand, If someone isn't in the mood to do anything then maybe they should what Unity or Mannix said they did - just admit they're not in the mood or they're sick or whatever until they're in the mood again.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi again:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 am

Hi, everybody! I am still struggling with this cough/cold. I'm afraid it's going to be awhile before it goes away completely, so I'll have to readjust for decreased energy levels. I've moved all my weekly appointments off until Thursday and Friday, so I'll have two more days of complete rest before I have to go out. I just went back and scanned through my posts in January. In addition to the in-law rants ( :twisted: ), I noticed comments about starting my blog and taking care of piles of paperwork where important things seem to get lost. Well, both those issues still need attention so I think I will add spending 5 minutes on each to my daily routine, add more time as I feel better. Lynx, loved your list dialogue. I seem to fall on one side or the other depending on how I feel each day. I'm starting to think that's the best answer - don't expect consistency. And I love to start lists anew, especially when I get thrown a curve ball, like this cold. So guess what I'm going to do after I'm finished posting here? :) As for goals, still processing that one. If there's something you really want, draw up those flow charts! If not, should you push yourself to find one? Maybe "following your nose" is the answer? Sally, so sorry to hear about your daughter's continued learning difficulties. It must be so frustrating to have this challenge and be aware that your teachers are giving up on you. I don't know what I would do in your situation; I wish I could offer you some advice. But best of luck! PLG, your almost to your one-year anniversary! Going out on Saturday nights sounds like a great idea; have fun! And I hope you hung up on your dad and sister when they started yelling at you. Even if you made a mistake, they don't have the right to scream at you over the phone and you are entitled to shut off your cellphone whenever it suits you. Hey, I've been awake for almost an hour! A new record! :) My steps for this afternoon: Lunch, cold medicine, "Starsky & Hutch" reruns, long nap. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi Mannix: I hope you feel better each day. You don't seem too depressed about having to stay home. It stands to reason you physically fell apart after all you had to endure.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 am

Hi, everyone, PLG, thanks for the good wishes. No, I don't feel too depressed being in the house. My husband's been home with me until recently, and I'm too tired to really want to go anywhere. I can feel my energy coming back today, but it's just a little bit at a time. Re your rut, I know the feeling. Can you think of something you've always wanted to try but never have? I mean outside of beading or dancing? That might yield some results for you. It seems like you're on the right track in trying to mix up your routine. Good luck! For me, I'm experimenting with trying to stay awake for 2 hours straight, then rest as needed. I'm trying to see if I really have enough energy to get through all my appointments tomorrow. I have a feeling I may be able to do some, but not all. We are also expecting yet another big snow storm on Friday, so the snow may cancel some of my appointments anyway. I don't think I'll be all that heartbroken. Hope everyone is having a good day, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi Mannix: Mannix: I hope you're feeling a little better today. I'm sure you wore yourself out over the holidays. We all hated to see you go through that, and now you're too sick to keep your appointments. You were too nice to everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Flowing

Postby Lynx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:51 pm

HI PLG, whew, are you ever living a full, active life! It seems you can master just about anything you put your heart into. It must take all your courage to ride out this 'scanning period.' But something will catch your fancy. Mannix, hope you're resting enough and indulging yourself as healthily as you can while you recover. Sally, hang in there and support your child as best as you can determine. FAS requires lots of attention and creativity. Different approaches need to be tried. Structure is very important. And Patience. It's difficult for impersonal structures like schools that have to serve everyone to understand. It take a village to deal with FAS, and even then there's no guessing the results. Myself, finishing up a good week. The recycling is already put out (the cleaning service put it out today). I now have the lighter duty of quality control rather than the direct responsibility. I'm appreciative of myself for this as I didn't either try to continue with more that I needed to handle, nor did I sink into a pit of I'm not competent to be an adult. I simply remembered and forgot, dealt with the consequence, stepped up to pay the penalty, made adjustments, and now carrying on with my life. It was fun writing the love/hate lists dialog. Any others any of you might try? L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 am

Hi, everybody, I'm getting ready to go out and do errands for the first time since last Sunday. I'm going to pick up a book at the library and then take an Alexander lesson. I've been up for about 90 minutes, getting dressed, etc., and I'm dead tired already. So this may be all I get to do today. I'm getting frustrated because there are so many things I want to work on, but on the other hand I don't want to screw up what recovery I've made so far. Oh, well ... -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 am

Lynx, me too. My best move about lists is I'll spend all this time making them, and then the first thing I will do is something not on the list. :roll: I have noticed that there always seems to be one task that I need to have to be able to use like a scapegoat to put off. Still not sure for me what's up with THAT strategy! It has been interesting to use the Autofocus listing thing. Because they tell you to do this interesting thing: read over the list to "see what is there" and read over it again and "allow yourself to have a sense of rightness or relaxation that it's time to do one of these particular things." Then they say, "work on it for as long as you want to do, and if it's not done, repost it at the bottom of the new list." The other part of that is, if you read over a page and that sense that there is something that wants to be done now doesn't happen, you cross off everything on that page. You're not allowed to put any of those things that have been crossed off on the list again until you "think about them" and reflect why you didn't want to do them. Their suggestions about how to deal with that reflecting is rather interesting. Has been sort of funny how I'll get down to the last few things on a page that I've listed... and I'll think, shit, have to do one of these things or I'll be crossing the whole rest of these things off. It's quite amusing to watch myself get peeved about losing the parts of the list I really want to do, but for some reason I don't want to do them just yet. Have noticed that my reticence in doing any particular thing has something to do with it not being a step - instead I am listing it as a conclusion. Have found that having the permission to "work on it as long as you want to do so" also has this interesting effect of giving myself strokes for doing something just a bit...a bit more...in the smallest bites that don't make the activity so loathsome. Jeez I can hate the doing of something so much that when I get started I feel obsessively like if I don't do it all now, it's never going to get done. With the Autofocus listing that pressure and fear is gone, pretty much. Have to report that one of my oldest friends had the money and compassion to loan me the rent money. What a relief! I've never not paid my rent; being in that situation was difficult to face. I'm sure that I'll have enough money for next month, and the money will appear after my main project is done to pay off the loan - if everyone pays as they always have for what I do for them. Now for the REAL project to dive into in the next two weeks - the weaving together of a few thousand bits of information that's turns into a phone book. It's like a giant game of Spider Solitaire...
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Lynx: I think it was a stroke of genius the way you handled the recycling issue. I mean that is one of those things you don't need on your list considering how long your list was and, if you have to give all your attention to worrying about the recycling how will you ever get to anything you want to do on your "wish" list. By the way what "wish/obstacle" do you have on your list? An8el: I seem to recall you are a master of the to do list and could give all of us advice. I'm so happy someone stepped up to the plate and paid your rent. Mannix: Take it slow. What do you do when you lie in bed all day? Do you watch TV or read? Did anyone watch the special about Teddy Roosevelt and John Muir and the creation of national monuments on PBS last night?
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello again:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories