150 Steps for February '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for February '10

Postby Mannix » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 pm

!!!!! Way To Go, PLG !!!! :D :D :D
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

SomeWords to Mull over

Postby Lynx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 am

Found this pearl of a quote on another forum site:
I can not suffer enough to change the past.
That idea alone can found a religion. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 am

Yes PLG! ♪♪♫♪♥ ♪♪♫♪ ♪♪♫♪♥♪♪♫♪ ♪♪♫♪♥ ♪♪♫♪ Now you can dance for joy! Hey, today I did this really obnoxious thing that desperately needed completing: Installed the USB card on the ancient laptop and actually got it to work with the laser printer!!!! It took persistence because the ancient laptop had been dropped (before I got it) and it's USB port didn't work anymore. I had tried to install the printer by network, but that didn't work and the half-completely install had messed up the printer drivers in the program I HAD to use to read many of my files I'd made the ads for my publishing biz. The program was too ancient to install on my new Win7 machine, without buying an upgrade, which was $89. I would have had to give to BillGates... Skannie suggested that I buy instead a PCPMCIA card with a USB on it - Found one on the cheap and got it delivered for only $8.50. Now, the card, when it arrived, had also this extra plug in it that seemed to indicate that it needed to be powered. Crossing my fingers, (because I didn't have a way to power it independently, ) I managed to get it to recognize my USB flash drive. Whew! Now I had a way to transfer files between the two computers "Sneaker-net" style instead of using the barely-working network card who's dongle kept breaking the connection unpredictably. BUT! the connection inside the laptop was dicey. Assuming the USB card was OK, I stuck the USB flash drive in it to indicate to me when the card was connected...crossed my fingers and re-ran the printer install...which included numerous re-starts...didn't install correctly the first...or the second...or the third time. I suspected that what was going on was the port for the card was slightly damaged, and each time I moved the hinge, it disconnected the card, which messed up the install. So, not touching anything...gingerly inserting the USB cord at the right timing on the printer install.....the fourth time it FINALLY WORKED! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. So for the first act of test-printing, I stuffed the perforated business cards in there and now I have some new sighn-painting cards for window painting. :shock: Really makes me feel absolutely Nerdy today.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:32 am

Rant before I can post my reply: Blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks everyone for your colorful congratulations. It's a whole new world now.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: one year ...

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Lynx wrote: 1. Whenever the motivation "shows up" is the right time. 2. Doing a little right now is the right action. 3. Moving on when the flow feeling wanes is the right finish. 4. As much as I get done now is the right amount of work. Lynx
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi PLG One of the things my previously smoking b/f in the past pointed out that smoking gave him that was a positive thing, was it provided the excuse for a break every once in awhile. So instead of smoking, - after he quit - we used to go out on the porch and play with the cats dragging things around for the felines to chase for a couple of minutes as a break instead. It worked great as a reward for both the cats and us. Wow - that's a significant savings of money to not be smoking! Impressive! Autofocus is a list-making activity that's not done on the computer. It's just making a list of the things that need doing in a notebook. You read over the list without doing anything first to see what is there. Then you read over the list again and seeing if anything jumps out at you that "wants to be done now." As Lynx indicated in his list above, all those points apply. If you haven't finished the task, you enter it again at the bottom edge of the list that needs doing. The interesting part of Auto-focus is if you scan down a page of things to do and nothing "pops out" at you, you "cancel" everything on that page! You need to carefully evaluate why and what didn't emerge as a motivating thing to do. You're advised to not put those things on the list again for at least a month - and even then, to not put them on the to-do list in the same form. It's a fascinating system, actually. It has really helped my resistance tendencies. Meanwhile, I spent the last four hours going through the video footage of myself and indicating edits...for the suddenly! valuable and useful person (previously whining, complaining pain-in-the-butt divorcee) who has already helped with editing of the previous section. It was fun once I got started on it, but I was resisting it because I really did not know what was possible or what I was asking for. But I figured that he could tell me these things, so I just went ahead and asked him in very specific ways - so that he could respond accordingly. We'll see what happens... Now, onto the boring project that makes money.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi An8el: Thanks for the explanation about Autofocus. It sounds like the person who came up with the name borrowed the concept from computer programing. If only I could meet you in person. I want too meet this magical person that you are.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:04 am

Good morning, everyone, An8el, I just watched your Alexander post on YouTube. It was fun seeing what you looked like - so pretty and serene! :) Could I offer a few suggestions and comments? First, sometimes you're drowned out by the music in the background. Is there any way to minimize the music without losing the audio of the conversation? Second, since Alaia has had a few lessons, perhaps she could talk a little about why she decided to take lessons or if she had a particular issue - back problems, etc. Then we could hear what changes she has noticed since she started lessons. You may have this on another part of the presentation since we were watching part 2. I look forward to seeing the whole thing - it gives me another perspective in addition to my teacher's! PLG, I think An8el's idea about finding healthier substitutes for smoking is a great idea, though I understand that's a lot easier to say than to do. You have made so many positive choices so far, though! As for me, I've already started the work of running my friend's business. Right now, that's mostly responding to online requests for jobs. This is just the bid stage - no guarantee we'll be doing them all. The downside: the requests come in any time and you're supposed to respond to them asap. Also - today I realized I was bidding for jobs for the Fall and I don't know how many jobs we already have for what dates. Gotta get that calendar set up! I catch myself complaining and then I try to remember my recent lunch with a former co-worker. He has an extremely abusive boss and pretty much no one to go to about it. I was in a less severe situation there and I resigned. My life is so much better now. Even with any annoyances I have now, I get to set my own schedule and I'm not working for an ego-maniac. (Please remind me of what I just said when I inevitably complain about gigs again. :wink: ) My steps for this weekend - set up a general pattern for when I'm going to work on booking gigs, when I'm going to work on personal finances and house chores, etc. Also, I'd like to work regularly on a goal just for me. This could be any kind of personal interest but the big thing is to move it up on the list. Right now I'm still in the habit of putting these interests at the bottom of the list. I think I need to set up a scanner-style routine. Have a good day, all! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 am

Yes Mannix: I think you need to move things for yourself to the top of the list!
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

routines and all that jazz

Postby Lynx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:09 am

Hi, An8el, I too took a quick look at the first minute or so of the video. It's a start and do what you can with it and make a better one next time. You look calm and attentive. Mannix, I suspect part of you resists against routines. I have that pattern. I need to make sure now I *dont* set it up that I will do X at this time every day. For the past several years I've found that I cannot lay out a plan for longer than 24 hours. Autofocus helps me keep aware of what all is pressing my time. But I still hold to the financial motto in all areas: pay yourself first. PLG: Your next big growth will come from finding a support group in person. I can offer lots of ideas if you're interested on where you might begin. Myself: awoke very early the last two days with lots of energy. Took a long nap yesterday to compensate. Working on a new creative way to lead training exercises that involves not one, not two, but three new ideas. Plus some of the ideas I put into a conference poster we used last week got a very positive response. Plus I've gotten a raise. Plus, I'm making some peace with moving chunks of my paid workload off the 9-5 workweek and finding compensatory time off (not really asking for it from anyone, just taking care of myself). Tax deductions listings are coming along...found a cache of several "missing" months of credit card bills. If only I could do these as the come in and keep up allyear my winter/springs would be more liberated. As it is, I'm passing on a bridge game next week to hold time. But I am reading a fun book on bridge that draws lessons for life out of how to play better. Made some financial decisions (yet to follow through/lack of time just yet) that have calmed me a bit. Probably have a low-cost way to get my legacy papers (will, power of attorney, advance directive) in order using para-legal services. Planned, awaiting the time. I have a micro-autofocus sheet just for the weekend. I fold a sheet into 12 to 16 rectangles. Each column represents something (taxes, prep for a training, etc.) and I list very small actions. Mailing something might be listed as: select envelope, return address, label, stamp, print-out/proof/sign/seal, deposit in mailbox. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:22 am

Lynx: Thank you for taking the time for very focused advise. I agree the next big step would be to find an in person support group.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Hello folks, PLG, I have a fairly good system for collecting receipts. The hassle is getting a decent total and that takes data entry. Some years I have used my hired assistants for this dirty work. It's just not in my personality, but it was for a while. ... It happened one day when I was a mere child and sitting looking at my growing coin collection, I looked up and saw a bright sunny day outside. And I thought, what am I doing *inside* when the whole's world out there for play? And that was that. Never looked back at the coins, but there are adult analogs that I may have to slink back to make reconciliation ... Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories