150 Steps for February '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for February '10

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:40 am

Hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi, everyone, Well, yesterday I got to the library and to my Alexander lesson. I felt like a zombie the entire time I was out. It was all I could do to get my brain to calculate a new route to the Alexander lesson from the library, since I don't usually go to my lessons from there. Got home, cancelled lessons, took some medicine, and slept until 6:30 that night. Got up for a few hours, and slept through until 9:30 this morning. So this bug is taking a lot out of me. PLG, I am more of a TV-watcher than a reader. I try to turn off the television for a few hours and read or write so it's not on all day. But when I'm ready to zone out or nap, I turn the TV back on. By the way, you're not getting sucked into Driving Miss Daisy World, are you? Even if it's to a show you would enjoy, is it really helping you to be chauffeuring her around? An8el, so glad you got your rent paid. Wow, compliling a phone book. Are these bits of information on physical bits of paper or are things already computerized? Actually, reminds me of a similar project I can do now, having to do with getting some sheet music in order. Hope everyone's having a good day, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:12 am

Mannix, just be patient. Nobody likes being sickly, but the more you indulge yourself, the faster you get functional again. Just rest up as much as you can and stop pushing things. Gave myself an Alexander lesson, now that my table is cleared off. About to fill it up with lotsa stuff for the next week. Decided to invite a friend over to show her how to start a blog so she had a website to sell her coffee grinders she's helping to make. Paid my rent at the bank, whew! Bought some food - it was weird to remember I could do that. Went for a SWIM! Took my friend along. It was actually a little too cold to stay in very long - 78d. Ahhh, we're such temperature-sensitive wussies in Hawaii. Did the "clean up" on the billing process, entering and tracking down stray addresses. Sent the last of the billing off today. Next step is making sure that these stray addresses are entered in the master list of addresses. Cleaned up the house and got ready for the next round of action. Yes, Mannix, the info is on bits of paper. It all needs to get typed in. Tomorrow starts the typing part...I'm really supposed to call every single person up in the phone book to make sure all the phone numbers are working numbers. But I'm not sure I'm going to do that this year, it being so late. The best part of the phone book job is the layout when I plan where the ads will go - that's the fun part. The un-fun part is figuring out how I'm going to configure the ancient computer I need to run the ad design software when it doesn't have a default printer...or a working USB connection. Aarrgh. Oh, and yeah, typing. Typing and re-checking to make sure I did it right and nobody got forgotten. Tedious work.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

out of place

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey Steps, I'm out of town Monday until Wednesday. Going to Austin, but the agenda seems packed so not much time to explore. PLG - It is really under 20 days left? Counting, breathing, counting, breathing. An8el, tedium, but paidium, we hopium. Mannix: rest well and prosper. Me: Packing today, running late errands, chillin. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:58 am

Back again after a busy week. Took my first test at Grad school I was so scared...I studied so hard...she went over the test after and I think I did very well. I have to get an "A" or "B" in the class in order for it to count..if I get a "C" or below in the classes then I have to repeat them.. that puts extra pressure on the students.. Well...when I got the call about the meeting at my daughter's school I was in the middle of teaching class...so I only heard "Tuesday" and didn't write the date down...it's suppose to be on the 16th so I was there a bit early when I showed up last Tuesday...although I did get to talk to the school psychologist about her....they want to do some cognitive testing. At least they want to try to get her into classes where she can get things at her speed. I like using lists too. It can be very helpful. But I've learned to try to keep my lists short. I had a bad habit of making a very long list of things to get done each day at one time...my lists were so long it was impossible to get everything done..then I'd end up feeling bad at the end of the day because I couldn't get it all done...for a while I was something of a 'slave' to the daily list...so I stopped making lists entirely. But I still make the short lists now and then...only things that are reasonably do-able. Mannix--hope you are getting rested..you need this recovery period after the stress of visitors at Christmas. While the Superbowl is on today in the family room for the boys, the girls are going to have a 'Movie Fest" party in the front room...we've rented a bunch of movies...so everyone's going to have a good day today. Maybe we'll even get some homework done too. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi everyone: Mannix: Hope you're feeling better today. Just continue to take it easy. I'd hate to see you develop chronic fatigue syndrome. Thank you for your unconditional support.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi everyone: Today it's snowing like rain.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Well, the weather people got to have their snow day yesterday, but today the weather is back to normal.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi, everyone, Just wanted to drop in here quickly. Those of you who advised lots of rest for my cold were right, and apparently I didn't do enough of it. :oops: I felt better over the weekend so I pushed myself just a little more over the past few days, and now the cough and fatigue have returned. So I guess my goal for the rest of the week will be to consider how many tasks really have to be done now, whittling them down to as few as possible so I can have more rest time. But, to coin a phrase, I'm getting tired of resting. PLG, don't know what else to say, except, keep on truckin'. Is it possible you have Seasonal Affective Disorder? Can you get away from Milwaukee for awhile? Maybe you could find a reasonably priced cruise to the Caribbean? Seems like you're really down with the winter weather and in a rut as well. Hope everyone is doing well, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks Mannix for your thoughts.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

here for a piece of time

Postby Lynx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:34 pm

He Stepps, Back in town and catching up with email. No, PLG, I didn't take my laptop (though I do travel with an electronic keyboard called Neo by AlphaSmart). Neo gets no wifi, makes no graphs, charts no data cells, it just types. It's very light and has 800 hours of battery life off three AA batteries at that. It doesn't even bold or italic. It's perfect for taking notes at conferences. When I travel I also unplug in other ways. As I usually have a room to myself, there's no radio, no TV, no Cable, No Movies for several evenings after I'm in for the night. It's wonderful. When I get back the world seems to have continued on its wacky ways without me needing to keep track of every bump and hiccup. I did talk about this site with a friend. So, you've been on my mind. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:05 am

Hi, everyone, I am so excited today! My husband is going to take me out to the mall, and then to do some visiting while he plays his weekly Dungeons and Dragons. This is a good kind of visiting - they are very cool people and I actually like them! This will be the first time I've been out of the house since a week ago Thursday. As for illness symptoms - they are letting up. Unfortunately, they've been replaced by a series of sinus headaches. I suspect all this snow and moisture may be producing a lot of mold, which I'm allergic to. And/or I have residual congestion that's making the headache worse than it would otherwise be. But I think it will be good for my health to get away from the house. Our residential roads are still terrible. We have one lane of packed snow and all the cars have to share it. I was supposed to teach 3 lessons yesterday and only one made it through. Last night I walked down to the end of our street and one car was stuck trying to drive in and one was stuck further down trying to go up a hill. And since the government reopened yesterday there was a lot of rush hour traffic, so a lot of cars were stuck behind the people who got stuck. I am still very reluctant to try and drive anywhere myself. The car I usually drive has rear-wheel drive and it gets stuck very easily. And believe it or not we're supposed to have more snow on Monday. But the snow has been a blessing again because it's forced me to slow down while I've been sick. Sally, I'm glad your daughter's school is trying to find a good fit for her. Did you find out your grade on the test yet? Lynx, when I read the last line of your last post, I started hearing Willie Nelson singing "You Were Always On My Mind." :) Whew, I'd better get out of this house before I start hallucinating! Hope everyone's having a good day, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

2010 2 13

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am

Howdy Stepps, Coming back from my trip to Austin and then other meetings during the week piled on a bunch of new work. My boss has already talked with me about it and will free up more resources in the budget to cover my time. I've started the research, which is always the exciting part. One of my goals now it to locate an assistant for doing the editing corrections, even going over my drafts and catching them independently of me having to do it. Another goal involves some research for a civic leadership project I volunteer for. I have a team that went through the training with me 5 years ago and we are still in touch. I could call on them to do some of the research with me. We often wonder if we might ever get back into project mode. This is minor but could be the start. I can also become much more fluid with how I use my time (working in spurts during the day and longer into the evening, doing some prep work on weekends, etc. So I have options. And I attended a community process gathering last night and just randomly got selected to work on an issue. I chose trading/money and that led to a wildly restorative evening for me. The mosaic of beliefs, reactions, ideas, feelings about money swirled about the group, and my permanent ambiguity about this thing I feel drawn to return to for fun and profit had a chance to have a public airing. I called it at one point my Initial Public Offering. L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Wow Lynx: You sound positively restored.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

saying NO!

Postby Lynx » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Stepps, PLG, your last post uplifted me, and submerged me in one post! I haven't been paying full attention to this, so correct me when I have the details off. This person, this You Know Who (YKW), who is coming to test your mettle seems to have great sway over you. They appear to be able to dictate to you and you have what feels like limited choices. This can not be healthy at all, and thus the draw to ill-chosen behaviors that are even more unhealthy. Break that cycle! In terms of heading straight to a hotel, consider vacation rentals by owner (VRBO). VRBO is service company that helps people rent out their space. The sites have pictures, describe what part of town the rental is in, and lists comments from past visitors. VRBOs are much better furbished (stoves rather than micro-wave alone, large fridge rather than a dorm fridge like in hotels, utensils and plates, pots, etc.). Because they are more likely to be residential properties you get to feel like part of a neighborhood rather than a tourist/traveler. Lauren Hill had a line in one of her CDs that rang true for me: everytime you give in against your better judgments you die a little. Even in tiny ways, for that's where it starts. I was visiting Atlanta and hanging out a lot with my mom and brothers. At one point when we were with my mom she said, It's been great having you visit, the little time I've seen you. And I felt a spike drive into my spine. I said, don't even go there, we've spent a lot of time with you. And that was that. Come on, mom, give your son a break! Stand strong. There's a saying in what used to be called Tough Love that when you take a stand you precipitate a crisis. Maybe not this trip, but let us support you in finding the right stand to take, at a good time for you (when you're feeling your power more). L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories