150 Steps for March '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for March '10

Postby jamesmb113 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:31 pm

40. Finished "Henry VIII". Enjoyed it far less than the earlier history plays, far more than I thought I would. If I were in high scanner mode, I'd follow it up with the complete run of "The Tudors", and Charles Ferguson's "Naked to Mine Enemies: a Life of Cardinal Wosley". But since I'm in "sad and tired" scanner mode, I'll abstain. 41. Started "Twelfth Night". So far, Acts I-III. Then, as I'm looking through gigs on Craiglist, I see an announcement for auditions. The Summer Shakespeare festival. Featuring "Twelfth Night". I messaged my friend, an actor and producer. He nudged me to "go for it". Use the "Queen Mab" speech (Romeo and Juliet) like I did "back in the day". 1) Nothing new to memorize 2)Performing it with a 41 year-old's experience and comprehension, not an 18-year-olds. 42. Updated my blog. The subject matter made me more sad. Perhaps a nap, then a stroll downtown. Then some sketching for the Scriptfrenzy play. Or a refresher "I see Queen Mab hath been with thee! She is the fairies' midwife..." (Swell into Celine Dion - "It's all coming back to me now". Training sequence...)
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:56 pm

43. Did some sketching out on the scriptfrenzy play.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:59 am

Good morning, everybody, My success story of the day: Went for a walk in the neighborhood and talked to some of the neighbors. Admired the cute rabbitts and bunnies they're trying to give away, but deflected owner's gentle efforts to get me to take one home. Declined young girl's offer to sell me lemonade because I didn't have any money with me. Husband and I will buy some lemonade on our way out to the store later. I went for my drive yesterday, didn't enjoy it quite as much as I'd hoped. Could be I'm distracted by the concert tomorrow. James, an actor and violinist! I once tried to be both a long time ago but found it almost impossible. Will you stick with the chamber orchestra if you get a part in the play? Good luck! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:17 am

Hi James, Mannix: I enjoyed reading your posts.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

good enough

Postby Lynx » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey team, Good enough works. Actually, there's a community here with that name. My world premiere of a new way to lead a workshop worked well above good enough. The handouts I'm preparing for a conference presentation due in 3 weeks will have to be good enough. It's almost there. The manual I'm drafting for work will definitely be good enough. I persuaded the editor/compiler to put the 'draft' watermark on every page. Good enough. James, works on CD/tape is not a substitute for reading, it's its own thing (wow, first time in my life I've had to write it's its). I actually love listening to books on media. Long rides with someone gives you something to share and talk about in common besides the spotting of an occasional hawk or the crappy radio selection. What's also great is the actors that do them put in much more emotion that I do. Some lines or comments are much more vivid because of this and I doubt I would have caught those on my own. While listening to The Art of Racing in the Rain, a great book by a local "rock star" writer here in Seattle, a couple of times the narrator did something that was so spot on I was happy I hadn't tried to read the book. PLG: I think you might have to go for what I call "spot bowling." (In bowling, bowlers either look at the pins on their approach or one of the spots on the floor board closer in.) Having past 52 weeks, even 55 weeks by now, aim for 60, then 65, etc. You may want to just cut loose and curse a blue streak while driving in your car in the 20 mile zone (to paraphrase Dorrie Previn(?)) People who curse can endure stress longer and the body shows less physiological effects from the stress than non-cursors. My g$%-d@3# parents raised me wrong, yet again. Mannix: I remember when taking a neighborhood walk was quite the challenge due to aggressive canine attention. Congrats on casually walking and enjoying the experience. I have stacked weekends for the next month or so. But I'm making time to get to the Russian baths (yesterday) and wander around auctions and thrift stores. Good enough. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Lynx, I set myself the canon that I shouldst not.. sorry I set a rule for myself that 1) I HAVE to actually READ the books in the Library reading challenge. Otherwise, it's not a READING challenge, is it? Of course, that doesn't keep those darn librarians from cheating, just to get their names in the drawing. Counting "Silent Spring" as both your science book AND your American classic? EXCUSE ME??? Into my 4th play now, I've decided to HEAR Shakespeare as opposed to reading Him, where ever and whenever possible. But whatever. Get through them all before I kick the bucket. (Theoretical date 7/11/11.) My ideal role - the Captain that appears in the first act (of 12th night). Some good speeches, but he drops off the map. Less rehearsal time. Ideal scanner role. This fits in with the Chamber Orchestra, as it's a summer festival in the Orchestra's "off " season.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:08 pm

44. Memorization work on Queen Mab (yesterday). 45. Finished "12th Night" 46. Started and finished "Love's Labors Lost" 47. Started "All's Well that End's Well" I thought I might need a nap today after rehearsal, but I'm getting a second wind.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:37 pm

48. Finished Stephen Levine's "One Year to Live" (Library Challenge - Reader's Choice) 49. Started "How We Die" (Library Challenge - National Book Award Winner) 50. Worked on Queen Mab. Found memorization very very hard. Very discouraging work. Did it anyway. Oddly enough, there was a guy at the laundry who noticed what I was doing. He asked about it. He "happens" to have been in several of the Shakespeare festival productions. He'll tell some people about me. Talked quite a bit longer about books of various genres. I do have to note that, if there were an inflexible schedule conflict, I'd have to stick with the Chamber Orchestra. I need the experience seeing commitments through.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am

Lynx: Thanks for your help. Good enough. I like the direction your headed.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:31 am

Hi again: I've got 7 minutes left here on the short computer. Good enough.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:39 am

paralegalgirl - I have no idea, but I'd like to give you a BIG thumbs up for sticking with it. For where you've come from and where you are now. You sound pretty advanced. I'm just starting. As in alone, with the DVD series from the library that teaches only the basic steps. Oddly enough, Foxtrot is first in the series. There's a beginner's Salsa class at the local uni, but I haven't gotten the nerve up yet.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:10 pm

51. Reading for Library Challenge 52. Practiced the Bach Sonata. "One does not simply walk into Mordor". And one does not simply "read through" this piece. 53. Practiced monologue, after switching from "Queen Mab" to "To Be, or not to be". If you missed my post in another forum, this is because I have a ton more life experience to relate to THAT particular speech. 54. Chamber Orchestra performance. And now I volunteered myself to attend board meetings. What have I gotten into?
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 am

Good morning, everyone, Struggling with insomnia today, and figuring out which priorities to tackle next. Taking short bursts of time to do favorite activities just because I enjoy them has fallen to the back burner again. So a step for today will be to try and resurrect that. Lynx, my take on "good enough" - for preparations for something like the musical performance I did yesterday, where you're working with people you've never rehearsed with, possibly having to play music you've never seen before, trying to go beyond "good enough" could erode the performance. Furiously trying to attain perfection with individual practicing is impossible for such a situation. At some point you have to trust in your skill level and be present for whatever happens when you join the other players. On the other hand, I have to be careful that "good enough" doesn't turn into sloppiness when it comes to writing out contracts for clients, etc. I quickly e-mailed a contract to a client when I first started working on this business. I scanned it for typos and it seemed good enough. But when the contract came back, I had changed the business mailing address in one place and not in the other. So now I fill out the contract or other business paperwork, and come back to it a few minutes later to check for such discrepancies. What I've learned from my three weeks working on this business. I just realized that the friend for whom I'm running this business will be gone on her cruise on Wednesday. She said they will have very limited Internet access on the ship, so I may not talk to her again until the end of the summer. We've been spending so much time together lately, it will seem very strange for her to be gone. Hope everyone is doing well, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:49 pm

55. Finished "All's Well That End's Well". It's the Arkangel Shakespeare I'm listening to, and the actors are top notch. At one point I started shouting "RICHARD!!!" like a madman. Fortunately, I didn't hit anyone with the car. Fans of "Keeping up Appearances" know who I'm talking about. Clive Owen, Hyacinth's long-suffering husband. In this case, portraying a king. The actor's name escapes me, but "Love's Labors Lost" featured the "actor who played Baldric in 'Black Adder'" as Costard. Absolutely brilliant. Made me laugh out loud many, many times.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories