150 Steps for March '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for March '10

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Morning everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 am

Hi everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Paralegalgirl- Sounds like not so much a day as an adventure. Yesterday 56. Started "Cembeline" (Not as good as "Lear", but it is another interesting Drama set in Early Britain). 57.Continued reading "How We Die" Today 58. Memorization work on audition monologue. Much better if broken down into daily blocks. Rehearsed it for Leila (my 1.75 year old daughter) while we waited for her mom and and brother in the eye doctor. It must need a lot of work, as she grunted, pooped, and threw her alphabet book at me. Everyone's a critic 59. Continued reading "How We Die", while listening to Bach: St. Matthew Passion. Not recommended without a huge pile of kleenex handy. 60. Continuing with "Cymbeline". Finally up to Act V. I had no idea that "Fear no more the heat of the sun" was in this play. EXTREMELY moving in context, as it's spoken by two actors as an impromptu memorial service. A pox on english teachers who ruined this beautiful elegy for so many by making them memorize and recite it.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

paid time off

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 am

Hey, You all are probably aware of this idea of paid time off, or PTO. I get so many hours off for good behavior each month. They grow, w/o interest by the way, and I can trade them in on weekdays to do whatever I want. Last week I traded a full day in to go play at Interplay (improvisational mix of dance, voice and movement) and then to the Russian baths for a four hour soak. Maybe too much as I've been drained all week with critical deadlines to meet. But I made the Wed. deadline and ... I was exhausted. But, I'd worked on the weekend for about 3 hours on this stuff, stayed late a couple of times, and generally it's been haunting my every waking moment. So, I wanted to take one of the non-interest baring PTO days, but not at full retail. So I asked my boss and essentially she said she doesn't want us to think there's any equivalences for extra work and time off. I also mentioned that there was a professional development conference call at noon I would still listen-in from home. She said put in for whatever felt fair. I mimed tearing up the request form (zero PTO charges). Naw, can't do that. Fair? Last year I clocked well over 100 hours I will never have a chance to recoup. So, what's fair? Put down 3 hours and passed it on up the chain of command. So, I'm tired, sitting at home watching it rain. Big accomplishment, washed the chin strap on my bike helmet. Mannix, it's good that you're finding ways to catch those pesky gremlins. The forces of precision, Nilmergs (gremlin backwards) are standing by to assist. [Before looking this over, the second time I wrote gremlin it was spelled grimlin. Ou, those guys!] James, you might want a younger critic. I find I can talk philosophy for minutes on end with four month olds. Satre, Derrida, Hegel, they are totally up on it. PLG, a new driving experience. Perhaps they slipped in a tune-up as a bonus? What persuaded you to go with the flush afterall? Except for that conference call and a book reading tonight, I'm just letting the day unfold. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:02 am

Lynx - My son's almost 4. Tried it on him on the way to pre-school, and it went a little better. "Ay, there's the rub.. For in that sleep of death what dreams may come must give us pause" "I had a dream last night." "Yeah" "Yeah, Chucky cheese was chasing me, and Leila, and you were wearing a dress." ooookay 61. Finished Cymbeline. A very odd play, but enjoyable. Kind of like a telenovela set in Roman-era Britain. If the god Jupiter showed up in the final episode to save the day, that is. 62. Continued "How We Die". A bit annoyed by the author's attitude, and cursory treatment of suicide victims. I also don't find the details of how the AIDS Virus works as fascinating as he does. The human interest stories, yes. The survivor stories, yes. Very fascinating. I wonder if this is a "scanner reading a book by a diver" thing, or just my personality.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi, everybody, Down with a cold and essentially working on the same steps I mentioned before: being more careful and professional in conducting the music business, and taking a few minutes to do something non-musical that I enjoy. I've continued scanning old newspapers online; I really enjoy that. Funny ... this afternoon a local radio show was talking about the history of bluegrass music in the Washington, DC area. I knew some of the names before the radio expert mentioned them! That knowledge has come from my newspaper-scanning. On the precision front, I'm being more meticulous but those gremlins are still jumping in! I just looked at an e-mail I wrote to some musicians and the word "opportunities" was misspelled! :bash: Well ... they're just musicians after all. :D Oh, I forgot to mention ... I finally got my paternal grandfather's death certificate. He died in 1948, 1 month shy of his 36th birthday, choked on his vomit. Not a happy ending. There's the name of a cemetery in Pittsburgh where he may be buried ... I need to call them and ask. So put that down as a step to-do. James, your son's response was hilarious! Ask him some more things and write them here! If you're looking for human-interest stories on death, Eleanor Clift wrote a book on her last months with her husband who died of cancer. I haven't read it myself but always thought about doing it. So, Lynx, you got your 3 hours off? I assume your boss felt that was fair. Seems like even more time would have been fair, given all the time you've been putting in lately. PLG, at least a weight off your mind that the car is running well? Take care, all -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Guys (and Mannix):
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am

PLG - Sounds like a truly weird guy. You should write a book: it would be a fascinating read. Mannix - My favorite Nicolas comment: during one visit, we were looking for a place to eat. We finally settled on one of the better barbeque joints in town. He took in the neon signs, the blues, country music, and hard rock playing in the background, the scowling smokers banished to the patio. Then he asked "Is this hell in a handbasket?" Apparently he had been bugging my ex-wife all day about "where are we going with daddy?" 63. Finished "How We Die". That's my national book award winner for the Library challenge. 64. Started "The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History". (Art book, for the same challenge). 65. Memory work, Hamlet's monologue up to "makes us rather bear the ills we have, than fly to those we know not of". 66. Sketching for the scriptfrenzy play.
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:52 am

Hi James: Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jamesmb113 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:03 pm

PLG Well G-d bless, and keep you in good spirits throughout the Holy Days. Did I mention I hate "family" holidays? 67. Did some review of what I've already memorized from the Shakespeare 68. Continued with "Annotated Mona Lisa" 69. Finally settled on a mystery to complete the reading challenge - Carl Hiaasen "Lucky You". 70. Started a new Scanner Daybook. Today's topics: 1)The real events behind "Dog Day Afternoon" 2)Filmography of Sidney Lumet (director), John Cazale (r.i.p. - you might know him better as "Fredo" in "The Godfather"), and of course, Al Pacino. 3)Sherwood Anderson (after watching a medical mystery show last night. All about he died from Periontitis after swallowing a toothpick in a martini.)
jamesmb113
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

clearing up some details

Postby Lynx » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:09 pm

hey steps Mannix: I got the full day, I was "allowed" to draw down just 3 (rather than 6 because I was going to join a 2 hour conference call and still wanted to listen in). so I got the full day away. It sounds like my evil job is sucking all my time, but that's not the case. Combined work time and personal projects time is what's sucking up the time. The program I volunteer with had me booked to co-lead a presentation 3-18; a conference I'm to present at wants their materials by 4/9 (was 4/2); taxes are due on 4/15 (never asked for an extension and don't plan on starting now); and meanwhile at work a manual draft needed me to complete it by 3/31.
    The manual draft is turned over to the next person in line, The 3-18 event went very well and I even invented a new way to run an exercise in the process I'm getting to the conference material about every other day and it's coming together I just finished putting into my spreadsheet the last of the credit card based deductions. Checks are entered. Next is cash outlays (not very much) and any paypal buys that I can claim.
What bothers me is the relentlessness of all this. I'm getting things done but enjoying none of it. I will be on guard past 4/15 to intentionally slow the pace a beat or two. lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 am

Hi, everybody, To follow up on my last post, I called the Pittsburgh Cemetery where my grandfather may be buried. They do have someone interred there with that name, but he is buried in the Veteran's section. My grandfather was briefly enlisted in the Army during WW2, but I'm not sure if he qualified for a veteran's burial. The lady at the cemetery asked for the month and year of his death and said she would do so more research, but it's all paper files so it will take some time. It would be cool if we could find his grave. My dad didn't get to know him too well and doesn't know where he is buried. Follow-up to the above, resurrect my blog on this search. Haven't posted anything there in quite some time. Another step I'm working on is coming up with a topic for the personal challenge thread. Trying to combine making time for things I like to do (just because I like them) and more mundane projects that really need work: financial organization, home rennovations and financing those, income streams I've been meaning to try, etc. So Lynx, if you only drew 3 hours, at least you have more saved up for another time? Yes, it sounds like you should definitely insist on a slower pace when these projects are completed. I'm sure it will feel good to know some down-time is on its way. James, for that barbecue place you took your son: I'm picturing a honky-tonk restaurant with a flashing sign overhead "Hell in a Handbasket" :lol: . Remember that Art Linkletter show: "Kids Say the Darndest Things?" Your son should be on that! PLG, are you still at home today? Getting through it OK? Hope you're getting through it as best you can. It will be over eventually. Today, I'll be out at the horse farm, feedin' horses in the rain. Have a good day, all, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:26 am

Happy Sunday!
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 am

Back. Lynx:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 am

Hi... I've been so busy 'stepping' I havn't had time to post. Am working 2 part time jobs teaching....lots of fun...except one of the classes gets too much homework,,,it's pre-arranged in the syllabus..which I have no control over ...that they have all these papers to do...makes it a lot of work to grad them on my off time...the other class (different school..beginners) doesen't get any homework so it's a breeze to teach there. Then there's grad school....OMG...such work....I keep reminding myself that this is only for a few years...& I can tolerate almost anything for a few years (think I'll have that tatooed on my forehead LOL!!!) We are also going to move (again.....PIA..good think I folded up most of the boxes we used and they're in the attic). Our landlords..an elderly couple...died before Christmas..and the heirs want to sell the house we're in....can't afford/don't want to buy it (basement/foundation leaks..among other problems)...so we've found a rental house about 20 minutes away....new town...new school district....So now back to packing everything up and moving again...we'll have a 2 year lease this time so we won't have to move for a while I hope....we've taken to calling the new house "the imperfect house"...and it is...not anything fancy...but huge (it has a 2 1/2 car 'drive through' garage!!)...and liveable (the carpet is older so if baby decides to spit up on the carpet we won't have to freak out). I like the new neighborhood. I've already planned a destination for taking walks...I like to take walks with a destination in mind I don't like walks where I wander aimlessly around, in Florida I walked about 2 to 3 times a week, about 6 miles round trip, to the middle of a bridge with a gorgeous view of the water, trees, boats, etc...kept me very healthy...unfortunately this time the walk's destination is to the local Hotdog/ice cream place....not so good for a diet (LOL)!!! Another irony at the new house....it's 10 minutes away from the local community college....and my 2 part time jobs?...I drive an hour (one north, one south) to work far away at community colleges!! Maybe I need to bring the college that's close by my resume???? I've checked out their classes..they have a music class (my piano is getting very dusty without me playing it) & Spanish classes I'd like to take...and some adult ed stuff too....where I'm going to fit all this in amongst grad school, work etc...I don't know. (A little case of Scanner overload??) So I guess my steps for the rest of this month and next involve packing up stuff...throwing stuff out...how did we accumulate this much 'stuff' in less than a year??? Writing a 'literature review' paper for my class...and studying for finals...etc...etc... It is nice to feel like I have a full life again....(just hope the finances hold out)...(somewhere in all this mess must find time to have my taxes done too..aren't they due soon?) Once we get there it will still be early enough in the season to plant some flowers too. sallypz (moxieme)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories