150 Steps for April '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: family and finances and fun

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:57 am

It sounds like you would like to retire.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for April '10

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:17 am

Okay...
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi, everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around much. I'll try to be back more for May.

I've already posted May 150 Steps, FYI.

I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off - going to Winchester to attend the annual Apple Blossom Festival with my parents. Got a gig on Sunday.

PLG, that western swing sounds fun! I think I've seen people doing swing and it looks very complex to me.

Hi, Lynx!

-- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

last days of april

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 am

Hi Mannix and PLG

Thanks PLG for staying with me on this paying myself first track. About your ? re: Vac-U-Form, it was one of those Mattel toys. Take a rectangle sheet of plastic (maybe 2.5 x 4) heat it on one side of the toy, swing it over an object on a platform with suction holes in it, push handle that created suction like mad before plastic cooled to solidity, and with practice you had a pretty good plastic mold made. I suspect the plastic was toxic or the heating elements caused too many injuries, in any case, the little plastic sheets were no where to be found.

How much are any of us participants in our good or bad fortune? If not a participants, why strive for anything? Why not just wait to see what luck brings? I get a feeling of a role and ponder from there. For myself, with investing, I experienced the feedback of success when I felt in synch (this means picking, buying, selling stocks either regularly style hoping they would go up or shorting looking for them to go down). I'm disappointed that when my life fell apart I failed to see it was no time to continue trading. I had lots of money in ca$h yet keep trying to trade as a way to keep some positive feelings in my life. Ha! I lost my fortune and my confidence, which I'm learning is nearly irreplaceable. That other people and the 'market' also declined is a fact, but I know of people who did not share in the general losses, or cashed out and either shorted or waited out the decline.

One of the reasons I'm looking for a partner with some experience in this is to get at my own sense of skill and confidence and what it will take to have a successful comeback. I want another shot because I so enjoyed the ride of being synched in.

Plus, when I refind my stride and mojo I'll know the grieving years are truly behind me for that period of loss.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:12 pm

No...no...no...Lynx:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

not for the internet

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm

PLG: No...no...no...Lynx:

This is not the way to handle your money! Don't invest your hard earned money based on whether or not you feel in synch!

You can calm down. I appreciate your sentiment, naturally it's far more to it than feeling in synch. That's a short hand for it all coming together, just as 'happy' is a shorthand for a collections of inner experiences on the emo-psycho level.

Part of my challenge in even mentioning this to anyone is I appreciate people like yourself raising their well-meaning concern, but they are not me. I am not them. Everyone mileage varies. I recall going to the race track with my cousin and getting ready to bet the trifecta in the last race. He felt it was too risky, but I went to the track several times a week when I could back then, so I made my bet. I nailed it. Not much of a pay-off, but the point was of two people he feared for me without comparable experiences to measure my ability to take ... and manage ... the risks involved. I could have lost, but I was prepared for that, too.

There's a deep seated X factor in our culture running through it from the "rational' Greeks about 'feelings' and intuition in general, and when I go along with that prejudice I don't feel secure, safe or protected, I feel like I'm bumbling along, awkward and just bring half of my full self to my living.

Oh, the money I was investing, ... I had earned from investing ... I'm on my 12th or 13th fortune made, spent or lost by now. Of course, as someone interested in trading I am fully aware of the general market and gain/loss trends you mentioned. I hope you appreciated that as fellow scanner and Barbara Sher fan that I have never let the general experience dictate what I can expect of myself or my skills. Thinking like that turns all my power over to some impersonal amalgam of averages. You are right about working hard, and that work is to keep as much a sense of my personal choice and efficacy as I can cling to against a culture determined to make me a mere 'consumer.' Remember, I managed to get a job during one of the worst downturns in employment in decades. Everyone's mileage varies, I say it again.

So, given my unique qualities, my wanting to exit life (whenever that may be) feeling my trading confidence return, and the general cultural hostility against non-rational modes of perception and expression, you get a glimpse of my challenge to find a worthy reflection partner and supporter for this next phase. I've known someone or some-two people before who could manage the role, so I know I'll meet another when the stars find their alignment. I'm sure if we were face-to-face and had hours you might at least allow me my point of view, though it's not your own.

It's odd, but if I were to say I was in training to climb to some mountain of rocks or bike, run, and swim for no purpose other than to do it I would get mostly admiration. And doing those activities, if I get into doing them well, I would experience something called 'flow' or being in 'the zone.' I call it in synch.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories