150 Steps for April '10

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for April '10

Postby Mannix » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:19 pm

OK, I finally posted some goals for the personal challenge. The biggest success was not only getting them posted, but coming up with some concrete goals that could be accomplished by June 30. Next step: work on them regularly and meet the deadline.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The future of my time

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Time for Steppin',

A few nights ago I journaled before going to sleep and a phrase came through: the future of my time. The future of my time. So clearly ambiguous.

Mannix, congrats on locating some goals for the challenge.

PLG, my impression of you: an attractive woman with lots of energy and athleticism. Your comment about looking 5th Avenue (without the dog) fairly cemented that into my image.

I am coming to see I'm over committed. Not just this patch, but usually. I have the uncomfortable need to withdraw from two groups to free up time. Came across an ad on craigslist for a writing commitment partner in the same general genre I want to write my book in! Told her I would not be free to think about my own writing until July and she said she would get back in touch in August.

So, I'm in one group that has been meeting for six months and is supposed to end in June. I will miss the May meeting (travel for work) and will be back in town just a day before the June meeting. It's been heating up with us talking about love, sex, relationships, desire, being desired, sensuality, shame, guilt, and such the last couple of times. Oh, well. I plan to tell them I cannot continue with any extensions.

And the other group meets on Sundays about twice a month to discuss the I Ching and cast a hexagram together. I'm thinking that I work my j-o-b 5 days, give Saturday over to running errands, and write for myself on Sundays. Then start all over again. Wont work every week, but most it just might.

This group wlll be harder to drop as it's only three of us, and we have a rule now that a minimum of three is needed to meet. But drop I must. We meet this weekend.

Wish me heart.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:16 am

Good luck with your commitment changes, Lynx. Sometimes it seems the only way to get anything done is to do it consecutively, with personally-imposed time limits on how long one will spend in a certain class, group, etc. I know it will be especially hard to depart the group that has a three-member quorum, but you seem to understand that it's no longer the best way for you to spend your time.

I'm struggling a little with my long-term commitment to volunteering at the horse-rescue farm. I've been doing it for many years, usually coming out for a few hours on Friday mornings and donating musical services to their annual open house weekends, weather permitting. This year, they seem to be pushing for bigger commitments - coming out extra days because they're short-staffed (the farm is an hour away from my home), go out and distribute flyers, etc. I've cleared my calendar so I can perform all day both days for their open house. Now they also want to know what other things I can help with, like baking something for the bake sale, setting up and taking down booths, feeding the horses when the open house is over. And this is happening as I'm increasingly busy running the music business. Even going out there on Friday is getting difficult.

I think I also will have to rethink what I want from my visits out there. I've been going out there for so long I'm starting to think of myself as their employee and I feel guilty if I can't do something they ask me to do. Time to grow up.

Lynx, keep us posted on what happens as you withdraw from some of these groups.

My steps for this weekend - see if I can accomplish this weekend's tasks by end-of-the-weekend deadline. Obstacle watch: Take these deadlines seriously.

-- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 am

Morning Mannix/Lynx:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:37 am

PLG, go to "Spring Personal Challenge, March - June" and go to the last page. You'll see my goals there. Actually, I'm about to update them.

-- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

overly similar threads

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am

Hi

Mannix, I took a look at the Spring Personal Challenge March - June Thread, lively! Is our humble site here redundant? Energy flows on the web, and sub parts of the web like here.

If the quarterly goals thread continues with a new one for July - Sept, would the regular members here want to 'decommission' this 150 steps thread and move our activity to the July - Sept thread at the end of June?

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:13 pm

At some point the whole 150 steps concept morphed into the monthly challenges thread.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i do like it here, too

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi,

PLG, I like the continuity here too, so forget I mentioned moving.

Well, I did it, withdrew from the I Ching group. Less emotionally stressed than I'd predicted. One of the other members (of three) was thinking about getting more time for himself to write as well, so the timing wasn't out of synch too much.

Also finished taxes on Saturday, which made Sunday the first genuine day off since January!

There's some type of jazz festival this week. To get more a feeling of separation from all that other work, I'll try to get to a few of the concerts.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi all

I was reading your comments about the challenges threads. They came about because a number of us from here on 150 were active on the Spring Cleaning, de-cluttering and 'Lose 8lbs this month' threads many years ago and they were put in a seperate forum. Then last year I started a Lent challenge and this became the personal challenges thread. It's a place for giving something up, or doing something straight away. Unlike this 150 steps where you work towards a goal.

I haven't had a long-term goal that requires lots of different steps so haven't been on here for a while.

Yes you're right PLG, challenges are like ticker tape :D Good luck for the family visit. Did you enjoy wearing your new skirt?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Thank you Unity for the excellent clarification.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Lynx:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi everyone.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:05 pm

There have certainly been a lot of people who would have preferred a thread in which they could post their do list for the day, week, month and year.

That must be me that you're referring to... I will keep my opinions to myself! :lol:
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Maybe I should go back to 'to do' lists??? They became impossibly long and I quit doing that. Right now am swamped in homework...but I'm taking a break (and doing laundry--I have to work tomorrow and have no clean clothes). Suppose to have this huge pre-writing the actual paper homework done by Thurs. I was lazy and put it off so now am scrambling to do it...little obsessive me I really have to do a good job on things (homework stuff) so it's taking me forever to write this thing up....I tend to fall in an obsessive "grades-thing" when I go to school (it's one reason why I put off going back to school for so long) I could never be satisfied with 'just an A' in a class...always had to shoot for (and usually get) the highest A in the class....a B in a class would send me into a crying spell that lasted for days. It was such an emotional roller coaster that I had decided never to go back to school again....now here I am in Grad School,,trying not to fall into that kind of a trap. In order to get those kind of grades (I'm really not that smart) I had to study obsessively all the time, the rest of my life seemed to drop away (friends, activities , etc...)and I became a single minded study machine. It was really no fun. Trying to resist 'going there' again. But if I can graduate (someday) I can about double my income, maybe triple it (as I'm only working part time right now). So it's a goal worth pursuing....and I can feel I'm making a valuable contribution to the world.

Part of the goal for the rest of the month (and year) is to learn to be more proactive...a big part of it deals with getting over my fear/anxiety about talking on the phone...in this world of cell phones where it seems everyone is on the phone all the time...I have almost an aversion to talking on the phone. That's a bad habit that has to end. Another part of proactivity is standing up for myself better. Both those things are just skills....and I can learn any skill if I put my mind to it!!

Mannix--pet a few of those horses for me. PLG--the dance thing sounds like fun..I looked for ballroom dancing classes in the area we're moving to---none anywhere!!! The new house will have enough room so I can set up my sewing machine and a sewing/craft work area....I hope I can find time to sew...instead of buying new dresses I have some don't fit quite so well anymore ones I'd like to remake into cute 'new' ones....and a pattern for remaking old jeans into a jacket that looks like fun to try....and a piano I'd like to play again....some short stories I'd like to finish and ideas for others..then there's rollerskating and tennis...golf???...maybe I DO need more than 24 hours to each day???

sallypz (moxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories