I Fixed My Car Up

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

I Fixed My Car Up

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri May 14, 2010 10:47 am

Coming to you soon...stuff.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: I Fixed My Car Up

Postby yonuh » Fri May 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Good for you!
yonuh
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Sat May 15, 2010 3:47 am

Congratulations!

A female friend of mine went to a car-repair workshop in London. I was really amazed when she talked about it. It sounds like a really useful skill! (Don't know that much about cars, it does sound interesting! & I admire you greatly!)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat May 15, 2010 9:08 am

Coming to you soon...stuff.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Sat May 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Hey goofygoon - you don't understand the feeling of knowing enough about what needs to be fixed on your car to stay on top of it? Even though you don't do the work yourself, you're still in charge of having a car that completely works, right? This is a definite success when you tend to let things go and not worry about doing them in a timely manner.

That said, I felt proud the other day of being able to problem-solve by myself when my car decided to not start unexpectedly.

One of the things that results in a car not starting is a "sticky" or "flat spot" on the starter. If you take the car out of gear, (I have an automatic tranny on my car, even though I hate 'em.) To set the starter into starting from another spot, you can run the transmission through the gears... (usually automatic transmissions have a mechanical "over-ride" button on the gear shift knob.) Then move the car forward a little bit or back ward (if you lucky enough to not have the tires against a curb.) Poof! The starter will work again.
Sometimes that doesn't work. In this case, the solenoid must have been sticky, which is a little thingy on the outside of the starter. It responded when I found a piece of wood and knocked it against the starter/solenoid. The guy who had stopped to help me even congratulated me on my excellent intuitive diagnosis skills when the car started after I did that.

PLG - usually having to do the rotors means you did not stay on top of replacing the brakes. Rotors shouldn't need replacing until the brake pads/discs have been changed perhaps four or five times at least. Repair is always more expensive than maintenance - so having a savvy mechanic who can advise you about how many miles you have until your brake pads need replacing again would be valuable. I think it was bad advice to have someone say you should drive the fuel pump until it dies, because this added the expense of towing to your bill of fixing it. Probably the reason they said that was because they couldn't determine from it being an intermittent problem what it was. (The old problem of the car not misbehaving when a mechanic is there to diagnose it, but will die when it's night in a place where nobody's going to drive by in the next three hours!)

My approach has been to take my car to the mechanic whenever I have a chunk of money - and then ask them to advise me what might need fixing that I have to save up for later.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Sun May 16, 2010 2:13 pm

PLG, my mechanic has given me similar advice on my car. They didn't know why the "service engine soon" light was cutting on and off, so they told me to drive it til it started acting worse. One day, months later, it didn't start. So they ended up replacing a camshaft sensor--that didn't turn the light off for long. A few months more down the road, my catalytic converter and an O2 sensor that was frozen on it had to be replaced to the tune of $1000. There goes the emergency fund...

Now I understand why I'm leery of going to the car shop, even though I've known them for years and trust them. I never know what shock I'll be in for when they look at my car, and usually can't afford a shock with the income I make. One or two major expenses can take down my savings just like that. A few years ago I started to teach myself what was going on under my hood, and felt less afraid of the car. (I need to go back to doing that.) Dad taught me how to change the oil, too, but I'm still nervous about changing my own--don't want to destroy my own engine by accident.
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Lucky2be » Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 am

Unique Journalist:

I think they invented the automobile to pull a wrecking ball through our savings account.
Last edited by Lucky2be on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky2be
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 am

Lucky2be wrote:Unique Journalist:

I think they invented the automobile to pull a wrecking ball through our savings account.

Lucky2be

YES. Every time I build a decent amount in savings, my car decides to start acting up and falling apart. :-p
Last fall, my car ALONE ate a quarter of the insurance money from Dad's death. The money paid for two parts--a catalytic converter and an O2 sensor. The car still isn't satisfied, either. It's still being weird. Ingrate! :roll:
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories