June 2015 - a few steps per day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: June 2015 - a few steps per day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 pm

I feel like a giant failure as a dog owner. I can't get the stickers out of Molly's paws. (note - it's stickers (plural) not sticker.) She won't let me pull on them, and besides the stickers, there's something gooey on her paws like tar. So I guess tomorrow is a trip to the vet. :(

When I wrote the post I had freaked out.
Another day, and it's better. I slowed down and calmed down. Started with just touching her paws gently and rewarding good behavior with lots of very small treats. She's always been pretty good about letting me pull unwanted things out of her paws.

I hope you're not all tired of dog stories. It seems to be my topic of choice these days.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 pm

ELAINE, I'm so glad you got Molly (and yourself) calmed down and the foxtails out of her paws. Poor Molly... they must hurt her and it's hard to explain to animals that you're going to hurt them a bit more (pulling out the foxtail) in order to make the pain go away. I for one never get tired of dog stories. :)

And speaking of dog stories, the interview this morning went fine. We talked for about half an hour, very pleasantly, and the article is scheduled for the September issue. The only downside is that she wants pictures, and not just pictures of the doggies, of which I have plenty, but pictures of me with the doggies. I hate hate HATE having my picture taken, but I'm going to have to put on my big-girl knickers (seeing as how this is a British magazine, heh) and go for it. Husband will take them, hopefully outdoors in the backyard where everything is insanely green after all our rain.

But as if there's not always something to worry about, the news broke yesterday that my publisher is combining two of its imprints (kind of like departments within the publisher), and one of the combinees is the imprint I'm published by. Lots of editorial staff being let go, and presumably authors being cut as well. I emailed my editor but have had no reply. So just another thing to worry about. :bash:

Keep stepping!

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Elaine,

You might already know about this but just in case you don't............trying to pull them out with your fingers is not the best way. Use a very strong tweezers (I think slanted edge gives the best grip), grip the fox tail as close to the base (next to the skin) and pull straight out slowly. The tweezers give a much better grip than just a finger and a thumb plus you can get closer to the base. People think pulling quickly will be less painful but it increases the chances of it breaking off and staying imbedded. When I say slowly, I don't mean really slow. Just don't give it a quick jerk.

Putting hydrogen peroxide on the site with a Q-tip immediately after removing will help prevent infection.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Elizabeth,

Glad the doggie thing went well. I also hate having pictures taken but they are going to look so cute in your green backyard.

Your publisher's situation is really scary. I hope they let you know ASAP so you don't agonize over the potential outcome. Good luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

24 dogs rule

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Dogs rule! I guess they're happy humans finally know who is really in charge.

There's an interesting ad/video about a cat deciding that dogs had more fun, so it got its dog on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzgl0nFj3s

this is just one of many, of course.

I'm chugging along. Getting an application or connection made about 1 every other day.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:37 am

Good morning, steppers!

LYNX, getting an application, connection accomplished every couple of days is a huge accomplishment. Three cheers! I thought of you (of all of us, really) when I read this:

http://www.inc.com/andrew-griffiths/a-r ... -year.html

I have one of those French-style bulletin boards (with the criss-crossed ribbons) and I'm going to start sticking up cards and scraps of paper with notes on the things I do manage to accomplish. It's so easy to forget, from day to day.

IS, thanks for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately the news from publisher is about as bad as it can be. My editor has been laid off and has decided to take early retirement. I have been passed on to a different editor, very young, very new in her job, very junior. My original editor was Executive Editor of the imprint. So you can imagine the difference in clout between the two. And often it's the editor's clout that gets a book bought. So we'll see. I do have another card or two up my sleeve, and it would not necessarily be a terrible thing if my present publisher passes on my new book. It's just that--as I'm sure my original editor would agree--one wants to make decisions like that for oneself, and not have them made for one. Sigh.

ELAINE, hope you and Molly the Foxtail Queen are well. Cressie and Boo send their best regards.

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 am

Hi steppers,

Elizabeth, thx for the link to that article. Great idea. I know Hemingway kept a daily list of the # of words he'd written in pencil on the door frame where he was writing.

Today is actually full of bits and pieces related to work.

Write to 2 former contacts at a job I'm applying for.
Respond to a friend who need quick help (small pay). The ans is YES.
Send resume to HR for them to attach to a job re-application. I applied several months ago, and since have sharpened my cover letter and resume. Their system won't allow me to update these.
There's possibly one more.

A local politician just asked to be linked-in. I happen to know him, but still.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the good doggie wishes, and good doggie advice and the video clip. Dogs do have more fun when they're not dealing with foxtails. I pulled about six of them out of her paws and then saw reason and called the vet. We spent a very unhappy forty-five minutes, but Molly is now foxtail-free. By the way, I love my vet!

Good interview/letters and resumes vibes, good publisher vibes, and good art and other projects vibes to you all. Elizabeth, you got that award at just the right time.

Besides the foxtails, yesterday was a rough day. I took a friend to get blood drawn for testing. She was pretty weak from a recent illness. After they drew the blood, she ate a yogurt, but it wasn't enough. Getting out of the car, she started to wobble, I tried to steady her, then I tried to catch her, and I remember thinking she was heavier than she looked, and we both went down in her driveway. I can't believe I couldn't hold her up. She's really thin. Anyway, she was okay except for a couple of scratches, and being very shaken up. I think she fell on top of me, which was a good thing, and made me feel useful. The useful part was a good feeling. The rest of the experience - not so much.

Okay, off to do a couple of steps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
I do have another card or two up my sleeve, and it would not necessarily be a terrible thing if my present publisher passes on my new book.

That's a relief! I used to do freelance work for magazines and my relationship with the editors was so special. The editors were the ones who got me published. I know what a shock it must be to lose an editor who was so good.

Best of luck with this big transition.

Lynx,

I have always been impressed with how persistent you are with continually moving forward towards your goal. Step after step after step. Very impressive.

Elaine,

With all that you're going through right now, I was really happy to see you say at the end of your post that you were going to get back to your steps.

As for me, I have a lot going on. Nothing is happening with art right now but there are some huge shifts in my life that should open doors to allowing me more time and energy to pursue my creative pursuits. I did finish all my non-art goals that I listed in May. Whoohoo!! That's important because the reason I listed them was they were keeping me from moving forward with art. So, at least I accomplished the non-art goals. Although I haven't put pen to paper or paint to canvas, I learned a lot in these two months about myself and art and music, which is really valuable. All the learning will set me up for a better focus on July, which I'm looking forward to.

Keep steppin' all, and keep hanging in there with the life challenges.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi, Steppers,

Three cheers for all of us with our steps.

IS congrats on getting your list finished. And I know what you mean. Most of my steps lately have not been related to writing. But I got slew of phone calls done. (I hate phone calls and tend to put them off.)

Speaking of small steps, I have walked Molly almost every day since I've had her. Lately our walks are about 3/4 of a mile. Sometimes we go for longer walks. We walked a lot farther when we were both younger. Anyway, I did the math, and we've walked about 4,000 miles together. :D Not too bad for a LOL.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

30th

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:54 am

Hi steppers,

A bit silent over the past 72 hours - got a flash project (paying, yes!) that required intense focus. Sent off my draft this AM, tweaks tomorrow and I'm done, I hope.

May be picking up a couple pieces of furniture for our office remodel (it's not me, my partner is insisting we go forward). A file cabinet and also a book shelf with doors. Last week we ordered a desk (adjusting from seated to standing).

Probably getting an application in on Wednesday.

IS, would you like the honors of launching the July thread?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories