June 2015 - a few steps per day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

June 2015 - a few steps per day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun May 31, 2015 8:59 am

Commit to accomplishing a few steps each day towards your goal. How many steps is up to you. We'll cheer you on and commiserate if things don't go right. Whining is acceptable.

First Graders updates of classic proverbs

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 pm
Barbara's books are all about seeing your life in a fresh and new way. I love the way these kids have updated the old proverbs that were drummed into me in grade school.

A 1st grade teacher had twenty-six students (6 year olds) in her class. She presented each child in her classroom the 1st half of a well-known proverb and asked them to come up with the remainder of the proverb. Here's what they came up with.

1. Don't change horses until they stop running.
2. Strike while the bug is close.
3. It's always darkest before Daylight Saving Time.
4. Never underestimate the power of termites.
5. You can lead a horse to water but How?
6. Don't bite the hand that looks dirty.
7. No news is impossible.
8. A miss is as good as a Mr.
9. You can't teach an old dog new Math.
10. If you lie down with dogs, you'll stink in the morning.
11. Love all, trust Me.
12.The pen is mightier than the pigs.
13. An idle mind is the best way to relax.
14. Where there's smoke there's pollution.
15. Happy the bride who gets all the presents.
16. A penny saved is not much.
17. Two's company, three's the Musketeers.
18. Don't put off till tomorrow What you put on to go to bed.
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and You have to blow your nose.
20.There are none so blind as Stevie Wonder.
21. Children should be seen and not spanked or grounded.
22. If at first you don't succeed get new batteries.
23. You get out of something only what you See in the picture on the box.
24. When the blind lead the blind get out of the way.
25. A bird in the hand is going to poop on you.
26. Better late than Pregnant.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun May 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi E.G. and other steppers ...

What a hoot! #13 is great, and #26 is likely my favorite: Better late than Pregnant.

First grader wrote that? What's happening in that house?

Deep under the work of the remodel. Mostly clearing Paths and Emptying Rooms (on 5/31).

Did complete my 25th play review on Saturday. It was for 4 Dogs and a Bone by John Patrick Shanley (Doubt, Moonstruck). Very funny and extremely well done. One of the perks of this gig is the occasional gem.

Goals:
Clear Paths
Empty Room
Attain Nirvana

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: June - a few steps per day

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 am

June, oh June, so opportune,
With great success may you festoon
All of us singing our stepping tune!

Ahem.

Anyway. Thank you for starting the June thread, Elaine! Love the kids' proverbs. Lynx, congratulations on your 25th play review! I'm all on board with your clear paths and empty rooms, but please wait a few years to attain nirvana. We'd miss you! I.S., looking forward to cheering you on to your goals in June.

My main goal for June is, sadly, much the same as my main goal was for May: finish my proposal. I was doing pretty well until that damned black dog strolled in, curled up, and made himself at home in my head. At least the UK book launch went off pretty well. I've been working on keeping up activity on my blog, FB and Twitter. So the month wasn't a total loss.

Oh, and I posted the link to my short story this morning, so I'll share it with y'all as well. You held my hand, figuratively speaking, through writing it (back in March), so here it is, for what it's worth:

http://www.elizabethloupas.com/2015/06/01/to-the-end-of-time-for-everyone/

Keep stepping, everyone!

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Great list, Lynx,

Is there a way to achieve nirvana and not be dead? I see that goal as a sort of reaching for Eden kind of thing. There's also attaining enlightenment. Before enlightenment, you fetch the water and carry the wood. After enlightenment, you fetch the water and carry the wood. So you have to be still alive.

Elizabeth I think you got a lot done in May. Good vibes on finishing that proposal.

I liked the short story. Is it a part of The Bronze Lily Crown? By the way, it's the alchemist that intrigues me. Yes, I know that alchemy and chemistry aren't the same thing, but it piques the chemist in me, and I want to know more. Maybe I'll dig up some books on alchemy just for the fun of it.

Molly wants to know just how big that black dog is. Because she thinks she can take it on. And is it a he or a she? Because Molly's much more tolerant of males. Oops SQWRLS in the back yard. She had to run.

My goal for today is to write that really long list of things to do. I won't post the whole mess here but I'll include the interesting parts.

Happy steppin'
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

added goal

Postby Lynx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi,

A most fundamental goal is get through the messes 'excitement' makes of my life. It sparks a loss of attention or a quick action that usually doesn't end well for me. It's the younger sibling to mania, which I liked but am happy to miss for the rest of my life. Not so sure with excitement. But it has to be in the right place and time, and that's what I'm teasing out.

Begun a thread on psychcentral if you want in on the daily saga. http://forums.psychcentral.com/bipolar- ... ement.html

From wikipedia:
In the Buddhist context nirvana refers to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished.[3] In Hindu philosophy, it is the union with Brahman, the divine ground of existence, and the experience of blissful egolessness.[5]

In Indian religions, the attainment of nirvana is moksha,[note 1] liberation from samsara, the repeating cycle of birth, life and death.[6][7][note 2]

I was thinking about it as ... refers to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished.
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I liked the short story. Is it a part of The Bronze Lily Crown? By the way, it's the alchemist that intrigues me. Yes, I know that alchemy and chemistry aren't the same thing, but it piques the chemist in me, and I want to know more. Maybe I'll dig up some books on alchemy just for the fun of it.

It's not actually part of The Red Lily Crown. It's a separate story set in the same world, and incorporates some of the same characters--the Grand Duke, Duchess Isabella, glancing mentions of the alchemist Ruanno and his soror mystica Chiara. What I really loved about the time period of both TRLC and this story--the late sixteenth century--is that alchemy is kind of turning into modern chemistry. Perhaps a better way to describe it is that modern chemistry is branching off from alchemy. Ruanno is an alchemist, yes, but he's also a metallurgist and he's read the classical sources like De Re Metallica and he has a scientific mind. So he would be a (fictionalized, of course) example of the moment of alchemy turning its face to the modern world. If you like chemistry, there's a lot of it in the book. :)

Molly wants to know just how big that black dog is. Because she thinks she can take it on. And is it a he or a she? Because Molly's much more tolerant of males. Oops SQWRLS in the back yard. She had to run.

LOL! SKWERLS! Run, Molly, run!

The black dog is magical, in that it can be huge, medium-sized, or tiny, male or female or genderless. I wouldn't want dear Molly to get into a fight wtih it, because I'm afraid the black dog always wins. It came back big time yesterday afternoon, but this morning, it's back to a manageable size.

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: added goal

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 am

Lynx wrote:I was thinking about it as ... refers to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished.

I do love the idea of "imperturbable stillness of mind" but I have to say I wouldn't want my fires of desire and aversion to be completely extinguished. Maybe just banked down to gentle warm embers instead of roaring flames.

Delusion, on the other hand, I would be happy to extinguish, although I suspect we all cling grimly to our delusions....

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:38 pm

For what it's worth, I've been reading Barbara Sher's post about three stages of excitement. There's stage one, where everything is wonderful, then stage two when you absolutely crash, then stage three, which is like the nirvana that Lynx describes - just a mellow in between, and that's where all the work gets done.

I have to admit, stage two does take hold of me from time to time. (See all my whining for the last three years.)

And I understand what you mean Lynx. Sometimes I get so excited that I lose judgement and do something amazingly stupid immediately afterwards.

Anyway, here's to all of us managing our feelings.

And here's a big bag of kibble with Chamomile, vallerian, and Sominex for the big black dog.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Oops, sorry about getting the color of "The Red Lily Crown" wrong. :oops:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Priming for Details

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks Elaine for the Barbara Sher's comments on excitement. Karen McLaren has her comments. I could probably find others. I think, though, that how each of us labels a set of emotions "excitement" is different because we have only the imprecise means of language to share internal experiences. For example, what I experience as excitement would not fold into Barbara's three stages. Actually, I get a great deal done while filling excited.

This thing with details is back bothering me. Has been since high school. Deep down, I personally don't care. The problem is that people I submit things to really do. Or if they privately don't they will to cut me out of the running for a job.

The immediate cause was a cover letter which I sent with the wrong year. Somewhat funny in January, but not in March. And, I'd asked a contact to advocate for me (just this one time, of course). Plus, found 2 typos in the resume. Regrets, yes, I've made a few.

So. Just wrote a short piece for psych central which I'll cc next. I'll see what I can find on the psychology of priming:

Much as I dislike adding steps or scaffolds to my routines, at my (imaginary) support meeting for the detailed indifferent I admitted

Hi, I'm Revu2, and I sometimes miss important details.

And while searching around today for advice, I remembered my own better practice for vacations, creativity, etc. Use priming. I typically use priming for something I want to enjoy, and hardly ever for a duty or responsibility (dull, mundane things like copy editing and proof reading that make or break opportunities).

OK, I will:
draft doc, leave fallow (8 - 24 hours), revise, polish.
Prime for details by reading about copy editing, proofreading marks, common grammar mistakes, etc.
Copy edit once for corrections.
Read through once more.
Send.

I prime myself for better details detections, and this is how I roll from here on.

Wish I could say I can't wait to try it, but that would be untrue.

An article from the world of commerce: http://blog.tiptaplab.com/What-is-Primi ... r-Behavior

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:25 pm

A comments about details and typos - it's next to impossible to proof your own work and not miss errors. The problem is that you know what the word is supposed to be, and that 's how you register it. Every person in my writers' groups will agree with me on this. Please refer to my old posts whining about this very subject - "It's only one page long, I proofed it five times, and I still missed three mistakes." A possible solution is to get your partner to proof anything really important. A good way is for you to read one copy of the document out loud, and your partner read a second copy at the same time. Trust me on this. I'm a writer. I know these things. :lol:

Also there are people who proof read for a living (not a job I would ever apply for) and they really can find every mistake.

After I had "The Molly Chronicles" as close to perfect as I could get it, my friend Susan and I proofed it. (It's only 10,000 words, which is not all that long.) We worked on it for a whole day. We found a mistake on just about every other page. After we got it perfect, I found a couple more errors we had overlooked. After it was published, my friend Kate found three more in the first half. I told her I didn't want to know. :bash:

Several cultures leave mistakes in their pottery, weaving, and quilting on purpose because God alone is perfect. I like this philosophy.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

typos

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:26 am

Hi all,

Thanks Elaine for the tips. I use many of these approaches. I was also very stressed, busy, etc. It still hurts when I know it might have tossed my chances for a terrific job. Since I'm 2 months past March 30 I have no recall of just how I arranged to make so many errors.

Still, I know I personally have more of a challenge with details than the common challenge of proofing ones own work. I miss other details as well and it drives me nuts.

No budget of hiring anyone at the moment though I have in the past hired (at $15/yr) for the dual-readers system you describe. It's about 1,000 times more accurate than a serial reading by two people. Still things are missed, as you say.

I like that part about other cultures being more relaxed around mistakes. Are they hiring?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:04 am

Oh, Lynx,

I'd hire you if I could. And I hope you caught the sympathy in my last post. It was more implied than stated.

The bash emoticon is custom made for job hunting.

:bash: :bash: :bash:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Steppers,

I guess I joined the group at the wrong time. I didn't realize all this government stuff was going to take so long and be so difficult and create such insomnia.

I'm definitely going to join you ASAP after the paper mess and phone calls and letters and office visits are over.

I really did feel like I got a good start on the ART before this all started. I'm excited about the idea of getting back to it again. I'm hoping all the Social Security stuff will be done by the end of June or sooner and then I can join in.

Because the 3 of you know each other well, sometimes when I stop by, I have no idea what you're talking about!

But once I can be here regularly I'm sure I'll get to know of you.

Best wishes for a successful and exciting June! Inspire Success!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi IS. Just join in when you can. Good vibes for dealing with the !@#$! We're all wishing you good things.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories