July 2015 - A Few Steps a Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: July 2015 - A Few Steps a Day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:41 pm

The Squeekel :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was job hunting, I was told that networking was the most effective way to find a job. And that's how I got mine.

My copy of "Writing Past Dark" is back ordered, so I can't get it for another week.

Meanwhile, I have a massive attack of the lazies. But I have an idea of what to write. So hopefully my next post will be more positive.

Good vibes to everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

26 witness, judging, audience, coach, observer

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 am

Hi,

Up early Sunday morning and meditating on "witness." After my breakthrough thoughts of the past few days dealing with my internalized restrictive father, I awoke way too hyped up. Playing around with the idea of words for the letters for CALM I somehow opened up to exploring the role of internal witnesses.

Then I felt that was too bunched up. There are many ways others can look on as we practice, live and perform. To call out 4 that feel different to me:

Judge - harshest stance as this is looking on with an evaluative (often negative) component. Shucking this feeling remains a major effort.

Observer - Someone or some part of self calmly looking on without judgement.

Audience - This also includes spectators for sporting type events. It's clear that I'm performing and they are watching. There might be some interaction, but not at the conversational level. They may swing to cheerleader or judge depending on events.

Coach - this is an appreciative place where the observing person actively mentors my positive development.

Any of these can quickly turn into the other. Internally I prefer that super-ego functions avoid judging. Judging brakes momentum, or it enforces a barrier when I'd rather run wild and free. I'm reminded of the fourth grader busy at work on a drawing. His teacher asked about it. He said, "I'm drawing the face of God." She said nobody knows what He looks like." A judging type of comment. The boy replied, "They will when I get through." And kept working!

Being too much aware that I have this inner onlooker function disrupts my attention to the task, sometimes disastrously. Part of my practice going forward is to develop the discipline that actors show of doing what I trained to do as if there really were no one there looking on (the fourth wall) while in reality there are people in the audience.

Lynx

PS - CALM
C -calm your breathing
A - access the full situation
L - list your action options
M - Make your best move
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Party tomorrow. Would you believe that my house is all cleaned up and ready to go? I wouldn't believe it. Not for a minute.

A little writing is happening. I hope it leads to more. I have 17,000 words written. My challenge goal is 20,000 for July. I'll probably meet that goal. The but is that the writing is bad. Oh well. My work always starts out terrible.
My blog posts are coming out okay. So I guess I'm learning something. But, when it comes to p.r., it still feels like there's a big secret that everyone else knows. I'll go surf the net for info about Hurricane Katrina and hope for inspiration.

Next day. The party was fun. And I got some good ideas from the Internet. There's a video narrated by one of the rescue divers, and I got some great ideas from it.
One thing I found interesting - This goes back to my haz mat days, and things I'd look for when I inspected large facilities. A large quantity hazardous waste generator has to fill out an elaborate emergency plan. (Small quantity generators have a simpler version.) One of the questions on the plan is "is your facility located in a hundred year flood plain? Also interesting, from the State inspectors' point of view, Louisiana was not very strict with their hazardous waste requirements. Marine Shale was a facility in Louisiana that accepted contaminated dirt from California. It was a cheap way to dispose of the dirt, because it was classified as hazardous waste in California, but it was road fill in Louisiana.
Back to the video. The diver describes one rescue where he jumped into the water, and came out with his skin burning. As he said, anything and everything ended up the in the flood waters following Katrina. When he got back to the base, there was no running water. He found a nearby ditch and jumped into it. After that he looked like he had a sunburn from the neck down.

I'm going to try to reach 20,000 today. Tomorrow I'll post the final episode of "Squawk: One Flew Under the Cuckoo's Nest." I'm editing the post. It's now 7 p.m. and I'm at 19,100 words.

Good vibes, good steppin' to everyone. Wouldn't it be neat if our words had enough power that we could just say "Good Vibes" and it would come true!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:01 am

Edited] Congrats on the party, Elaine.

I've had a terrifically busy day. Went to a networking meeting and delivered a 2 minute "live resume" that people complimented me on. The wonders of practicing 10 times for a 2 minute pitch.

Alerted someone in HR at the host organization I had an application pending and asked if she would follow up on it's status. She said she definitely would.

Then I won the flower arrangement raffle. As I'd ridden in on my bike, this was an impractical gift, so I immediately gave it away to someone who actually really wanted it, and had predicted she would get it!

Then I walked into the Goodwill and found the replacement for our corning dish we'd dropped 4 months ago for $8.

This meant a change in plans. Instead of keeping a low profile downtown for 3 hours between appointments, I caught a shuttle back home, rested a bit, and went out again for my afternoon appointment.

And tonight, went to a play reading and talk.

All in all a fun day, and I'm tired.

'Nite.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

30 water

Postby Lynx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi,

Got the data on Seattle's water use. We pay the highest rates in the country, by the way.

"Seattleites pay more for water than residents of any large city in California, according to data compiled by Circle of Blue, a Seattle-based news agency that reports on water issues. In fact, we pay more than just about anybody in the U.S.

Circle of Blue surveyed 30 major U.S. cities for their current utility water rates. In Seattle, for a typical family of four in which each person uses 50 gallons per day, the monthly bill totals $171.48.

For that level of usage, Seattle’s water is the most expensive in the survey — more than $20 higher than No. 2, Atlanta. ... Folks might grumble about those higher water bills, but they do promote conservation.With our expensive water in Seattle, brown lawns and dusty cars are not uncommon sights in the dry summer months. In fact, since the late 1980s, the city’s total water usage has declined by more than 40 percent, despite a population gain of 135,000. [emphasis added]

In 2010, the average Seattleite used 52 gallons of water per day — far below the national average of 89 gallons."

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... ter-bills/

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 am

Props to LYNX and ELAINE for stepping along throughout July.

This has not been one of my better months, as that old black dog has been firmly settled in. However, I did go back through my journal and made a list of the things I did manage to accomplish:

1. Wills signed.
2. Shampooed carpet in about half the house. Looks fantastic.
3. Rewrote outline of new book.
4. Worked a little on first chapters of new book—editing and polishing, not new material.
5. Successfully updated theme for website.
6. Took pictures for “Your Dog” article (horrible) and sent them to writer.
7. Had dental work done.
8. Dealt with doggie health issues.
9. Had a mental breakthrough on a lifelong psychological twist that has been holding me back. Working on change.
10. Bought some books on story structure and writing craft. Studied them.
11. Focused on theme for new book.
12. Ordered pretty, comfortable new summer sandals from Crocs. Received. Perfect.
13. Figured out why computer was freezing up and deleted software that was causing it. Computer now fine.
14. Ordered books for research. Received first shipment. Am reading.
15. Sent ex-agent firm email demanding money, after she admitted she had received check but made excuses as to why she had not sent it on to me. Nothing received yet. (Cue sound of teeth grinding.)
16. Demanded overdue POA documents from lawyer. Received them. Appt next week to sign.

So at least I got some things done.

My hopes for August once again include getting the new proposal in shape to send to editors. Other than that, the only thing on my calendar is a visit (dates still up in the air) from one "pod" of children/grandchildren. Always wonderful to see them.

Keep stepping!

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Elizabeth,
Black dog or no, that list is impressive.

Lynx, I hope some of your networking pays off. I chuckled at the picture of you riding home on your bike with a flower arrangement.
Re water use - do the numbers you quoted include outdoor water use? They're pretty impressive for indoor use only, but including outdoor use they're frickin' amazing.

I got a lot of writing done in July - 20,000 words (but mostly bad writing.) But I also wrote "Squawk, One Flew Under the Cuckoo's Nest." (See my blog if you want to read the Squawk story.) and I'm happy with that. And I did ten Facebook, Twitter posts. So life is good at the moment.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:30 am

Hi Striders,

Elizabeth, yes, great productivity in the midst of a black dog visit. Sending energies of recovery and renewal re: "9. Had a mental breakthrough on a lifelong psychological twist that has been holding me back. Working on change."

Elaine, as far as I have seen, water consumption isn't broken down for outdoor/indoor use. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, getting people to stop watering their lawns was a huge cultural shift. I remember the brouhaha when UW's president's lawn was being watered. Not sure what ultimately was done, but people noticed and made some noise.

Onto August. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories