Aug 2015 A few steps per day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Aug 2015 A few steps per day

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi,

Glad you're all feeling better. Me too. Lynx, anyone who thinks looking for work is easy has never had to do it.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:34 pm

Went to the doctor today. I can't taste anything and my tongue is sore. She couldn't figure out what was going on so sent me to ENT. Haven't made the second appt yet. Feel like !@$!@$ I hope I still have taste buds when this is all over.

but no black dog.

Oh, almost forgot. I posted another bath story. Cressie wrote in to "ask Molly." I couldn't resist - There was a picture of a beagle puppy in clip art, and I used it. Probably not as cute as the real Cressie, but. . .
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:04 am

Happy mid-week, Steppers...

ELAINE, Cressie and I love Molly's advice column post about baths! I tried to comment, but it wanted me to sign in with some kind of profile and the only one I had was Google, and when I tried using that, Blogger rejected my comment. Cressie was very disappointed. :(

Also ELAINE, I hope your taste buds are better. The idea of a life without tasting is just too ghastly to imagine.

LYNX, fingers crossed that the ghostwriting gig turns out to be something good for you.

The article in "Your Dog" magazine in the UK is finally out (it's in the September issue). They kindly sent me a copy, since it's not distributed in the US. I have a scan of the article itself, and a pic of Boudin reveling in his worldwide fame (!) here:

https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethLoupa ... 9314538029

We have kids/grandkids in town this week, and I have (lucky me) a kidney stone. So not much time online, and not much mental focus available for writing. Hopefully next week will be better.

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:27 am

Elizabeth, I loved the article in "You Dog." Your personality shone through. I feel as if I know all of you. I hadn't realized that Boudin was the digger and Cressie was the one with the SQRL aversion. And of course your dogs love reading - with a writer for a Mama.

Other people have said that they tried to comment on my blog and couldn't. It must be something about the blog. I'll try to find out.

Doctor's appointment today. Best scenario - he fixes my tongue. Worst scenario - I'm not going to post that here.

Elizabeth, I'm glad you're having a good week. You were due for some fun. Enjoy your grandkids.

Hi, Lynx, SquarePeg, Inspire and everyone else.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Slowly, things get a bit better.

Elizabeth, read the article.Terrific PR for you. How do breeds become extinct? Might that factor into your next novel? Also, enjoy your social break.

Elaine, WTF? hope the doctor has the mojo to get your mouthfeel back. Sending healing your way.

Myself: have two advances on consulting/freelance work, one writing, I think I'd mentioned, and one to lead a series of workshops on Motivational Interviewing.

I have some suggestions I recently used for saving money. I'll write them up on the couponing tread. Preview: phone service & air travel are the topics.

I have another chance to go to a networking meeting with the Live Resume presentation. The topic this time is: I'm an Ace at Face-to-Face (facilitation, training, mediation, Motivational Interviewing practice, etc.) Working on it.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Lynx, I'm glad that some good things are coming your way. A few $$$ never hurt anyone. Sounds like a few.

Elizabeth -a kidney stone???? Hope it all comes out okay. (no pun intended.)

me - can't taste anything. WTF is correct. Turns out it's a side effect of a medication. And my mouth is dry. So I have to drink lots of water and change medication. No big deal. I was imagining a whole lot worse.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi Elaine!!

Nice to see you here!!

Since I'm no longer on Hanging Out, after 2 years, I will do my best to post my goals here regularly!!

Week of 8/24/2015:

1. Pay the bills.
2. Write 5 pages by next Monday.
3. Follow up on Jazz Alley gig.
4. Finish making Rainbow video.
5. Start 1-page marketing plan for holistic voice coaching.
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 am

Good morning, Steppers...

Welcome, JAZZMUSE! Good luck with your week's worth of steps. I love your list, with phrases like "Jazz Alley" and "Rainbow video" and "holistic voice coaching." Makes me happy just to read it. :)

LYNX and ELAINE, thanks for comments on the "Your Dog" piece. Cressie and Boo are thrilled to be "famous."

ELAINE, am so glad your taste issues are just a medication side-effect. Hopefully they'll be resolved quickly with the change of medications.

LYNX, you have some really great stuff going on. You're taking giant steps! :)

Am still struggling with the new book. I keep switching back and forth between making it a historical/contemporary timeslip, and a straight historical. Sigh. At least in the course of the changes I've gotten a fair amount written on both sides of the story.

The kidney stone resolved itself. Owie. This is the second time I've had one, so apparently I'm prone to them. To the best of my knowledge no one else in my family has ever had them, but my family was not prone to much sharing of health issues, particularly somethng as indecorous as kidney stones, so who knows?

Kids are gone. It was fun seeing them, of course, but exhausting.

Step on!

My main goal for the week is to try to get my head straight on this book.
Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi, Jazzmuse, and welcome.
I'm thrilled to have a singer join us. And by the way, I heard your tape and you're REALLY good.
I'm hoping that what I wrote under wishes and obstacles was helpful and not hurtful. I have to say that your website is way more professional than my blog is. And there are major problems with my blog that I'm trying to sort out. So if I overstepped, I'm sorry.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm back to an out of sorts space within. Today has been especially troubling due to how the stock market drops are wrecking our mutual fund accounts. Then my brother called to borrow money, then we burned our favorite pan (soaking now in the ICU).

And it's just 12:40.

Shake it out. (By Florence + the Machine. This is on Obama's spotify playlist for his daytime mix).

[pause, look up list, post list] https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/08 ... r-playlist
Daytime
Ain’t Too Proud to Beg – The Temptations
Live It Up – Isley Brothers
Memories Live – Talib Kweli & Hi Tek
Tombstone Blues – Bob Dylan
So Much Trouble in the World – Bob Marley
Paradise – Coldplay
Tengo Un Trato (Remix) – Mala Rodriguez
Wang Dang Doodle – Howlin Wolf
Another Star – Stevie Wonder
Hot Fun in the Summertime – Sly & the Family Stone
Boozophilia – Low Cut Connie
Wherever Is Your Heart – Brandi Carlile
Good Day – Nappy Roots
Green Light – John Legend
Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
Rock Steady – Aretha Franklin
Down Down the Deep River – Okkervil River
Pusher Love Girl – Justin Timberlake
Shake It Out – Florence + The Machine
La Salsa La Traigo Yo – Sonora Carruseles

Night

My Favorite Things – John Coltrane
Superpower (feat. Frank Ocean) – Beyoncé
Moondance – Van Morrison
Is Your Love Big Enough? – Lianne La Havas
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart – Al Green
Red & White & Blue & Gold – Aoife O’Donovan
Nothing Even Matters – Lauryn Hill
The Best Is Yet to Come – Frank Sinatra
You Don’t Know Me – Ray Charles
I Found My Everything – Mary J Blige
Help Me – Joni Mitchell
I’ve Got Dreams to Remember – Otis Redding
Suzanne – Leonard Cohen
Feeling Good – Nina Simone
Stubborn Love – The Lumineers
Until – Cassandra Wilson
UMI Says – Mos Def
The Very Thought of You – Billie Holiday
Flamenco Sketches – Miles Davis
Woo – Erykah Badu

Another aside, I just read Bjork's email exchange with the philosopher Tim Morton.

Okay, back to steps.
Welcome Jazzmuse, to our merry band of steppers. Use this thread in whatever ways it makes sense to you.

Elizabeth, so much to comment on. Happy the stone passed on its own. And you had a fine time with the progeny. And you are sounding like you can focus more on the book. You go!

Elaine, getting the dosage/drug right is a good thing. Welcome back to the land of the tastebuds.

Me, today, just get through it. Making some edits on a 2 minute Live Resume presentation I'm doing on Wednesday. These folks with the ghostwriting are getting hung up of the outline, not a good sign. Want me to write a second outline? For 800 words? Please, take a flyer and let me rip.

Like the Shirley Jackson story about the couple that alternate between complaining days and good citizenship days, I think today I might just need to let the pain be felt, batten the hatches, and keep the collateral damage as small as possible.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi, Elizabeth,

I'm glad you're getting the writing done. I remember how happy you were when you decided to write a straight historical novel. (I was interested in the story split into two times.) Anyway - good vibes to you. Does your story ever tell you what it wants you to write?

Lynx, sorry you're having a bummed out day. "then we burned our favorite pan (soaking now in the ICU)." - At least you haven't lost your sense of humor.

Me -Slowly taste is returning. Which is good, because there are other possibilities for what was causing my problem, and they were things I'd rather not go through. I haven't forgotten my long to-do list on the first page of this thread. I'm slowly whittling it down - emphasize slowly.
And meanwhile, I'm coming up with more things that really need to be done.

I need to step up my steppin'

Good vibes to all of you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Me - steppin' slowly. Some of the items on my very long to-do list are getting done.

I can hardly taste anything sweet. Besides being annoying, it could mean that there's something really bad wrong with my mouth.

On the good side, Molly wrote to Bruce and Hobbs requesting an interview, and they said they'd interview her. Probably in October.

Back to the to-do list.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi and waves to all,

Elaine, keep tweaking the dosage. Might have to change the medicine. They're messing with vital things.

Me - wondering how I get through each day. The time just sucks out of it. Today, struggling to get 90 minutes in on that workshop I might do ahead of the contracting. If they say yes I don't want to be jammed for time. But I'm jammed already! How does this happen?

Partner out of town and I'm finding sticking close to home a lot of fun. Not making myself zip about leaves a more leisurely sense to the day. Coleman Barks (interpreter of Rumi) said one appointment can ruin a day. I agree.

Hoping that the rains hold off a few hours, at least, so I can enjoy the outdoor art installation I have plans to see tomorrow. Found two large golf umbrellas today which might prove handy. Are they so big because the players think their caddies are going to hold them up? No. "A golf umbrella protects golfers from the rain and the sun. It is designed to be much larger than a standard umbrella, to protect both the golfer and his or her cart." So now I know.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 am

Hello everyone,

This turned out to be an unexpectedly tough week, as I spent at least 10 hours voluntarily helping a former voice student who is really struggling with his life. According to his mom, he is doing better now, but I am still worried.

Here's how things went for my Week of 8/24/2015 steps:

1. Pay the bills. Check!
2. Write 5 pages by next Monday. Didn't even start.
3. Follow up on the next Jazz Alley gig. Check!
4. Finish making Rainbow video. Made progress.
5. Start 1-page marketing plan for holistic voice coaching. Didn't even start.

Steps for the Week of 8/30/2015:

1. Contact potential voice students.
2. Write 2 pages by next Monday.
3. More follow up on the next Jazz Alley gig.
4. Finish making Rainbow video.
5. Start 1-page marketing plan for holistic voice coaching.

All the best to all of you!
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi, Steppers,

May next week be one of the good ones.

My goal for today was going to be to skim through my novel, remove garbage, put in things like this TRANSITION GOES HERE where something need to be written that isn't written, and start working towards a first draft that has the plot line at least. So far today, I've goofed off. I just feel tired and draggy. I wish i were the twenty-year-old over achiever I used to be, but to know everything that I know now.

Revised goal for today - do something, anything, on the novel, do a load of laundry, and get the bills done.

p.s. I just realized- I've been trying to keep up with my grandson. No wonder I'm tired.

I'm sending all of you happy, energetic, healing vibes.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories