Sept 2015 A few steps per day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Sept 2015 A few steps per day

Postby JazzMuse » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:43 am

Hi everyone,

Last week was an extra busy work week at my part-time ESL teaching job, and several things in my life fell through all at once, and I almost got scammed, and one of my uncles died. :(

Just keeping my head above water, in the midst of everything.

So blessed that being around kids keeps me sane! I love my students!

Steps for the Week of 9/6/2015 didn't get much done. I'm keeping them for the Week of 9/13/2015:

1. Contact 3 more potential voice students.
2. Write 2 more pages by next Monday.
3. Sing every day, no matter what.
4. Sign up for 2-3 online directory listings for http://www.holisticvoicecoach.com
5. Keep reading "Difference" book for the marketing plan for my holistic voice coaching.

Thanks for your encouragement, Lynx and Elaine! It's very validating!

Karen aka JazzMuse
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 am

Hello everyone,

Jazzmuse, whew, yes a very tough period for you. Keeping head above water is the call. We're with you.

I'm staying close to home today. Had plans to go to a morning network event, but still not fully back to peak health, so staying in and catching up a bit.

Realized I need a symbol for caught up as laundry, dishes, papers, etc. all are continuous and thus in various states of finish. Just washed the dishes, but they have to be put away, then there's the laundry piling up.

One of the things I do is use coins I find as lines for the I Ching. Pennies are unmoving lines heads = yang, tails = yin. Anything higher and foreign coins are moving lines.

It's random, fun, and meditative, and sometimes quite supportive. When I get these done I'm symbolically caught up. At least that's today's read.

Today:
I Ching catch up (1 hr)
Read more of the fiction book (2 hrs)
Draft comments for City Council on Rent Regulation (this will be part IV possibly on Tenant Protections) (2 hrs)
Sift through another box of papers, this time old journals. (2 hrs)
Job search (1 hr)
random sh*t (remainder)

These won't be in blocks, but bits & pieces. Having fun playing with a new countdown for the computer developed for TedX talks.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:15 am

Hi, Everyone,

JazzMuse, I'm so sorry about the death of your uncle. I'm wishing you healing thoughts and good memories of him.
On the bright side - almost getting scammed is so much better than getting scammed. So congratulations on that.
And I'm so glad you're enjoying teaching ESL

Lynx, I hope you get better fast. And good luck with your projects. Anything to make laundry more interesting. . .

Elizabeth, and Inspire - good wishes, and a doggie nose lick from Molly.

Me - The week started out with a visit to friends, and a wedding in Portland. - Cut short by news of a fire near our ranch!!!!!
Yikes!!!! It's the fourth one to hit that area in about a month. This one threatened our property, and we had to evacuate. Cousin drove up and evacuated the three ladies - all in their nineties - Tom's mother wants to know when can she go back. Anyway, we're having a low-key visit - Tom's mother and I - and all is okay.

My writing is on hold until everything else is sorted out. Then it'll be back to - "this is all terrible. I don't know what to say. #@!#!$@"

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

sacred space for 3 days

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Elaine - The week started out with a visit to friends, and a wedding in Portland. - Cut short by news of a fire near our ranch!!!!!
Yikes!!!! It's the fourth one to hit that area in about a month.
My writing is on hold until everything else is sorted out. Then it'll be back to - "this is all terrible. I don't know what to say. #@!#!$@"

What a crazy mix! Hope the homestead survived. Seems odd to rush back and just get evacuated. Remember to grab your back-ups.

I'm at an interesting place with my sacred space making. Came across years and years of journals. Earlier in my life I thought I'd be a fiction writer, poet, short stories, etc. Turns out that's not where I tend to. I get more into essays, or even creative essays, such as Orwell's appendix on Nespeak.

So all the journals are just taking space? I'm looking at each page and out of maybe 100 I'll keep 2. Mostly I write about my miseries because when I'm feeling good I don't bother to write. I wrote to work out my issues. And my issues just recur, and repeat, and recycle. Even the things I have as rubs with my significant other. Though I've tried and tried to get movement from her or adjust my behavior or expectations they persist and still annoy me. I'm just on track to make it less of a deal I even mention to her. I fall silent and leave the scene as soon as I can. On my better days. It's an accommodation and far less than I ideal but all I want to manage from my half of the encounters at this time.

I have some "famous" passages in my journals, but the stories I've told so often they are fairly well grooved into me.

Am I really thinking of getting rid of 95% of my journals and daytimer notes?

This is my step/question for the next several days.

First step, consult the I Ching --- virtual style here ---
Step 1: 8 word or fewer question: Is it time to recycle journals and diaries?
Step 2: Use the online site to cast http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/Oracle/onl ... _full.html [new site for me]
Results: Hexagram 05 Xū Waiting for a break in the weather with changing lines at 2, 3, & 5.
Development: Hexagram 24 FÙ Return to your town

Plus I drew a single bead out of 16 (3 full yes, 1 full No, 5 maybe yes, 7 maybe no) and drew maybe yes.

More later,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

21 very early

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:15 am

Took a short evening 'nap' and it turned into a real sleep.

Up around 5 AM and enjoying the quiet. Grabbed my next journal for decluttering and took a peak. It's all about writing.

Which got me to thinking. Over the years I switched to using forums like this one and psychcentral as my journal. It's an interesting way to still process my life in writing while opening myself to comments and ideas from other people. My agonizing decisions to abandon my consulting was written out in real time right here. I also tried I am not Alone and The Experience Project but found them less congenial.

Hm, very interesting. It's like a stealth adaptation.

Just thought to try to find the entry on my decision in '08, and then thought, "Why go there again?" Indeed, why go there again IS the question of keeping these emotional dumping sites.

I have a strong sense of what my Soul's answer is.

To be continued, Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Oh, Steppers,

We've all had some bad weeks. Please, please, please, may some good stuff happen to all of us and soon.

I'm wishing you good things, Elizabeth, Lynx, and JazzMuse. And you also, Inspire. Thanks for all the great posts and tips you've left for us. Hi, SquarePeg. And good vibes to anyone I've forgotten.

Me - the bad stuff is that I still have the MRI ahead of me. I'm being very brave and calling my primary care doctor, to talk this over with her before I schedule the MRI.

I do have a lot of good news. After the fire, our humans, our animal, and our buildings are all untouched. This is huge, as the fire came to within a mile of our property. Other good news - on Hanging Out we had a conference call with Barbara Sher for an hour and a half, and I got so much marketing information and ideas, I don't know how I'll ever do them all.

May the bird of happiness not fly up our noses, but dance playfully about our heads filling our hearts with love and our mouths with chocolate.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi folks,

Hope our recoveries are going well.

I had a gremlin attack yesterday—started the application process of a job I might really enjoy and had to stop work on it midway. When I logged in again it thanked me for my application and I couldn't find a way to keep moving through the hoops. Had to take a short walk to cool down. Today, got in just fine and managed to finish.

Then, had to do a "clinical test" which I thought would be questions and answers. Nope, it was a challenge to do a bunch of things on a PC using a JAVA program to mimic windows 7 on my Mac. I haven't been on a PC for a year and some of those things I never used. Such as hide the menu bar. Or copy a song mp3 to the desktop. The last one was to map a path for 11.111.1111.11 to the z:drive. Clueless. Grrr. Awaiting the verdict.

If I squeak by I'll find out what's next.

Hoops and loops ...

gotta go, Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been having tech issues, too. So I can't write and I have no wireless internet at home.

But I climbed a mountain, I got to see friends out of town, a former voice student on break wants to come back, and I have been singing!

That's my good news. More later...
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:04 am

Hi everyone,

Jazzmuse, time to live it up a bit while the tech sorts itself, yes!

Just came across this interesting way to construct a memoir. Could be the basis of a whole new genre.

http://www.themiddlefingerproject.org/t ... -my-story/

Here a few for me:

FRUSTRATED - when my efforts to be mobile in the world (learning to walk, riding a bike) were denied by parents worried about germs or who bought a too-large bike.

OVEREAGER - when I finally got mobile and didn't know yet how to judge distances and pace.

UNPREPARED - for the challenges of handling multiple losses all at once.

DEPRESSED - as i let dream after dream go because I lacked the energy to suffer another major setback on the road to their attainment.

SPROUTFUL - as I pieced together a return to goals on a humbler scale.

CONFUSED - when this new effort again resulted in unwitting self inflicted losses.

CRAZY - the street name for my temporary but intense mental problems.

RELIEVED - to find the academic term for my condition - success-triggered mania.

SECLUDED - as i returned to the woodshed to rebuild a personality that success could not make crazy.

BREATHING - because I'm not there yet, but I'm also not done yet.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:09 am

Hi, Everyone,

Sending good vibes to you, Lynx and Elizabeth. And "hi," to JazzMuse and everyone else. I'll type more later, but I have some good (not great - just good) news. coming my way. That and a lot of work to do. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Did I tell you all that I'm very lazy? Suddenly I have a million things to do. We had a conference call - Barbara Sher and company from Hanging Out. It was mega fun. And I got a ton of marketing ideas. Now the hard part - I have to actually do them. EEK!!!!!

First of all, Elizabeth, remember when you tried to post on my blog? My friend Caroline also complained that she couldn't post, so I went to her house and we tried it. If I'd tried it by myself, no way would I have kept going. It took us a half an hour and the two of us figuring out what to do. We had to use google profile, set up an account, go into her e-mail to enter her cell phone #, get her access code from her cell phone, enter it into the profile for the privilege of writing a comment. I can't expect that from my friends to do all that. So I have to get a new blog. Also, my web address is www.temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com Please imagine me saying that on a radio broadcast and some viewer hearing it and remembering it. Not going to happen. And I'm scared that I'll lose some people if I get a new blog. One idea was to get an easier blog address, and have a link that get's the reader to my blog.

Other Ideas are to get a corporate sponsor, be a guest blogger on other websites, and we're going to set up a conference call among ourselves to practice radio interviews and other speeches. All very cool, and all requiring a whole lot of learning. And I still want to get a kindle version.

I keep thinking that back when I worked for a living, this would have been no big deal. It would have taken me a couple of days, and maybe I'd have complained but I'd have done it because I'd have had to.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:06 am

Hi and **Waves** to everyone.

Elaine, what an interesting post - full of ideas - problem solving - change needed - work to be done - resisting the work - more ideas - would do it if "required" -

I'm the same way at times. The real juice is in the ideas. The struggle for me is how to make some choice and variety in the drudgery and tedious and frustrating parts. Not always easy and I don't always succeed.

Randomly working on my projects as the mood strikes me. Had a moment of feeling the 'sacred space' of my living situation has crossed a portal and my body can actually feel the difference a bit. We have some ways to go (getting the parking spot cleared of some shelves and a pair of filing cabinets so we can park the car indoors again), so this is likely to only get stronger.

Keep pluggin away,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:05 am

Hi, Lynx, Elaine, JazzMuse, and all,

Have climbed out of my black hole, thank God. It's one day at a time, but at least I'm writing again.

Am 5,300+ words into the new dual-timeline version of the story. Have only used about 1k words of the historical timeline I've already written, so there are 7,600+ words just waiting to be plugged in when I get to that part of the contemporary story. So all in all, about 13k usable words. I really like the contemporary main character--she's wry and snarky and damaged and just struggling to hold it together. Heh.

For the moment, my goal is to simply write something every day. Specific word count goals still paralyze me.

I also need to start posting to my blog and Facebook page again. I've let them lie fallow for months, which is against all the self-promotion rules.

Lynx, I really like your pursuit of the "sacred space" in your home. I've been reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and I think she touches on something similar.

Elaine, I love your effervescent description of your conference call with Barbara and company. Yes, I do remember my struggle to post a comment on your blog... it did insist on all kinds of account-setting-up that I just didn't want to do. (I have enough accounts online already.) Maybe look at WIX.com--it's free, it offers a lot of beautiful templates, and you should be able to choose a much simpler web address. Also, hope you're surmounting your fire damage and recovering your sense of taste!

Jazz, hope your tech is fixed. We had Verizon come in to install new Fios last week (two of our three phone lines were still hard-wired) and although the Internet access and cable weren't interrupted, the phone lines are a mess. My husbands long-time business phone was mistakenly disconnected entirely and they only got the number itself back by the skin of their teeth. So wish you the best!

Doggies are well, and send licks and snoofles to Molly!

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for the posts. Sunday I got hit with a double whammy of black dog. Mostly because Molly has something in her leg and I have to take her to the vet yet again. I feel like the worst dog owner ever. Plus she only licks herself at night when I'm trying to sleep. Tomorrow, I'll take her in, unless she magically gets cured overnight. Each time she gets something in her, I keep hoping that I won't have to take her in. Sometimes we luck out.

Today, a friend came over in the afternoon, and that cheered me up a bit. We were trying to figure out how to make it look like Molly is talking. I didn't really get all that much done, but we had fun.

I started looking at wix.com I'll either use that or wordpress - probably depending on which one seems easier.

Snoofles! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi every stepper, steppee, and & step artist,

I think each of us (my, Jazzmuse, Elaine, & Elizabeth) have checked in in the past few days. We're still kicking.

We happened to score a mid-century (think Eames) office chair by Vitra designer Antonio Citterio for $55! A huge coup that has lifted my spirits for 48 hours. We actually enjoy sitting in it and, of course, the colors match up.

In the morning I'm going to look at some commentary I have prepared for the city council and decide how it holds up for presenting tomorrow. There's also an older commentary I'll need for an evening presentation on development reviews.

I also have applied to two jobs I really might like, so will follow up on the one that's I haven't heard much back from since I took their windows test.

Lot of movement tomorrow - trip to the city hall to comment and witness, then a few hours to explore the city. There's a tiny Laotian restaurant I want to find for lunch, etc.

Anyone eager to launch the October thread?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories