Mars exploration continues

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mars exploration continues

Postby jims » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:09 pm

For five years, I've explored Mars by suggesting targets for NASA's powerful telescope (HiRISE) in orbit around Mars. After sending in 6000 requests, I've received over 1000 pictures which is what some say was the number that was expected for the total mission. The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has far exceeded its planned lifetime. A few days ago, it was announced that it had found liquid water on the Red Planet. I have three videos about Martian geology on YouTube, over 500 pictures on Wikipedia, and over 600 on my facebook page. Some of my pictures have been used in scientific papers. NASA may send a Rover in 2020 to one of the sites I suggested for the purpose of discovering life. Although I do not live in a big house or drive a powerful car, like many Americans, I feel content because I'm true to my self, my love of learning/exploration.
jims
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Mars exploration continues

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 pm

I've read some of your earlier posts. I was fascinated then, and I'm fascinated now.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:22 pm

That’s awesome! Wow, I love hearing this! This a great example of doing what you’re passionate about regardless of what it pays, if it pays anything.

I’m fascinated. Will you get a chance to name any of the features on Mars? Who decides that anyway?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jims » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Some day, I may try to suggest names for things like craters. From time to time, NASA asks for suggestions that go before a committee. There are special guidelines for each planet. Small craters on Mars are named after small towns. At any rate this adventure is awesome. It's like a football fan being able to get into a NFL game for a few plays.
jims
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Success Stories