December 2015 Daily Steppers

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: December 2015 Daily Steppers

Postby JazzMuse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Merry Christmas, Steppers!

I've decided to dive deeper into creative teaching and go for a Masters degree and an elementary education teaching certificate, with help from my parents! My plane leaves on 1/26!!!

Goals:
1. Keep studying 4-10 hours a day for the GRE. The math is hard! It's been 27 years since my last math class?!
2. Refresh my Korean and watch at least one Korean movie or K-drama TV show before my winter camp starts on 1/7. I got hired!
3. Book guesthouse for the GRE.

It's been a busy time and I'm tempted to spend lots of time socializing before I go, but I've got to set limits. Sigh.

Please pray for my GRE test on Friday, January 22nd!!! I really need good scores to get scholarships.

Here's a link to a video of me singing at an open mic last Friday - https://www.facebook.com/karenlyu/video ... nref=story

Enjoy!

I also blew people away when I sang "O Holy Night" at church and at a party last night! :)

I will always sing, no matter what.

Blessings,

JazzMuse
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:56 pm

JazzMuse, your music is such a gift!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Howdy,

I'm on the email list for The Middle Finger's I Hate Mondays. Ash Ambirge [ <ash@themiddlefingerproject.org> ] is a kickass copywriter and churns out about a dozen interesting tidbits every Monday. She wrote that amazing memoir I shared a few months ago. http://www.themiddlefingerproject.org/t ... -my-story/

I've been a subscriber since probably the second week.

On her latest I Hate Monday she linked to a Neal Stephonson's explanation about why he's such a poor correspondent and doesn't make conference speeches. It's long but here's my main catch: http://www.nealstephenson.com/why-i-am- ... ndent.html

Writing novels is hard, and requires vast, unbroken slabs of time. Four quiet hours is a resource that I can put to good use. Two slabs of time, each two hours long, might add up to the same four hours, but are not nearly as productive as an unbroken four. If I know that I am going to be interrupted, I can’t concentrate, and if I suspect that I might be interrupted, I can’t do anything at all. Likewise, several consecutive days with four-hour time-slabs in them give me a stretch of time in which I can write a decent book chapter, but the same number of hours spread out across a few weeks, with interruptions in between them, are nearly useless.

The productivity equation is a non-linear one, in other words. This accounts for why I am a bad correspondent and why I very rarely accept speaking engagements. If I organize my life in such a way that I get lots of long, consecutive, uninterrupted time-chunks, I can write novels. But as those chunks get separated and fragmented, my productivity as a novelist drops spectacularly. What replaces it? Instead of a novel that will be around for a long time, and that will, with luck, be read by many people, there is a bunch of e-mail messages that I have sent out to individual persons, and a few speeches given at various conferences.

A shorter version is Coleman Barks line in an interview that "one appointment can ruin a day." Hm, I wonder if he was talking about his appointment for that interview. Anywho, my partner and I quote this a lot and when given the freedom bunch as many appointments in one day as we can to keep the others open.

Onward, Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 am

Well, this really makes me think.

I normally think of two unbroken hours of writing as a good piece of work, and then I need a break. Four hours of writing would equate to fifteen minutes of writing, one kakuro, ten cryptoquotes, two sitcoms, twenty solitaire games (various types), a sandwich, four cookies, a cup of tea, eight more cookies, and a partridge in a pear tree. Am I actually capable of four hours of unbroken writing, and I don't know it? And would my writing be really good if I tried it?????????
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,

Elaine, I don't think he means no breaks. I think he means he has a 4 hour block to write, breaks included, as he needs to take them, not due to responding email or packing to trot off to a conference.

+ every writer has to find her own way. James Baldwin could write in the middle of a party, or at least I saw a clip of him doing so in a documentary.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:05 pm

You're right, of course, that everyone has his/her own rhythm. I just wonder if sticking to the typewriter for a little longer would be beneficial. :?:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Tiniest piece of success. Amazon sold out of "The Molly Chronicles" and had to order more copies.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:29 am

Hello EG, we celebrate any and all successes. For the moment you can advertise that all copies on Amazon are Sold Out and on back order!

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:11 pm

Oh yes!

Happy New Year.!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous