January 2016 Daily Steppers

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

January 2016 Daily Steppers

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:56 am

Happy New Year!
Happy New Month!
Happy New Day!

Commit to working towards your goal. How many steps per day - that's up to you. We'll cheer for you and support you.

I'll be back to add an inspiring quote as soon as I find one.

"Procrastination is a postponement of your date with excellence." Mario Martinez

"Procrastination has always given me an exhilarating kick in the pants. :D Square Peg.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks Elaine for throwing this up.

Ladder time for sure, for me. (For anyone just tuning in: this is a reference to the game chutes and ladders. The set backs go fast and far, the gains come slow and small.)

Today:
working on timing out and exercises for workshop in 3 weeks.
print out the handout that's ready (done)
read a couple of articles that have been waiting their turn (done)

Waves & a Healthy & Happy 2016 to all,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: January 2016 Daily Steppers

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi, Steppers... wishing you all the best possible 2016.

I'm here... that's about all I can manage. Jim is doing well. My much-beloved little car conked out at the end of 2015... we don't really need the second car, but damn, I loved that little guy. I'd had him for twenty-five years, and he was kind of a symbol of my independence.

I am trying to at least open a document once a day, but that's about it.

Elizabeth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Today, I saw the movie "Joy" It's very much a Barbara Sher, success story movie,and, apparently, it's semi-biographical. However, I would never suggest mortgaging a home. Too many people end up living under a bridge that way.

Elizabeth, I'm glad Jim's doing better. I hope it's a lot better, but I know two surgeries are going to take a while to get over.

I'm having company over on Saturday, so my main goal is to get ready for that. My house is in its usual state of sloppiness with an extra dose of litter and dirt thrown in. Also, someone got crumbs on my computer keyboard (must have been Molly) so the space bar is sticking like crazy.

Happy 2016!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:12 pm

I would never work while eating. And I never leave crumbs. Humph!

Molly
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi steppers,

Molly, keep a sharp eye on Elaine. You know more than you let on. I am reading Delia Ephron's set of essays, sister, mother, husband, dog, and her essay on dog ownership you would find fascinating. Delia's Honey was paid a visit by a dog psychic. The psychic tuned in, said Honey had no trauma in her past, and that she was devoted to her toy gorilla. Honey said via the psychic that she had no problems not being a mother, but wanted a litter of toy gorillas to play with. (Delia later in the piece confirms that she bought the other toys and Honey only played with them). Then the psychic said, "Honey is worried about your left thigh." This took up Delia short because it was a bandage on a benign skin growth that was hidden under her jeans, no way the psychic could have guess that. But, Molly, probably no surprise to you.

Elizabeth, one document a day. Reminds me of Ann Lamott's "one sentence a day" when she was at the bottom raising her son alone. Fan the embers and eventually the flame flares back.

I never mention it because I find it so hard to do and I want to wait until the need goes away ... i'm talking about getting my teeth cleaned and now I have a chipped filling that needs repair ... and this time because of poverty I'm off to the local (excellent) dental school. they're going to be looking for all problems and so likely to scare the pants off me. fortunately I know enough never to agree tilted back with my mouth crammed open ... and to keep my pants on ...

so - made the call. never so simple, eh, I have to call back to make the appt and call somewhere else for the cleaning ... BUT, I made the call !!

This is the type of thing, for me, that, once I've done it I can claim progress and take the rest of the day off to recover.

Today, I get 5 minutes, then back to work.

Steps:

Finish slides for the workshop I'm leading in 3 weeks. Enforce limit to 40 (4 per page, 10 pages).
Rough in job cover/resume number ∞ + 1.
meet with friend who is always a catalyst for me. May it work again this time.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Hello, everyone,

Just wanted to stop by and check in. You write in so much detail about what's going on, it's difficult for me to follow.

So, I just want to say:

Congratulations on your successes. Remember, that's why I originally set up this type of thread in the Success Stories Section of the Boards. People weren't giving themselves enough credit for their successes. Celebrate! Don't just move on to the next list of undone items. (Sigh!)

Hang in there with the difficult things and the big challenges in life. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Love and Peace, Inspire Success

P.S. I chose that name because the word "inspire" means "breathe into". So, "breathe into" all those goals and successes. You deserve it. You can do it. Do what Barbara says. Live the Life You Love.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Steppers,

Thanks InspireSuccess for dipping in again. Hope your life circumstances have untangled and you'll soon be a regular among us again.

Practice and Work News
My workshop I expected to be paid for has been moved out 2 months to match people's schedules. Yuck. Need the moola.

A local high school sent out an urgent plea for unpaid workshop leaders for their annual justice day, keyed to King's holiday. I stepped up and now have a 90 minute workshop to ready. My title is "Less Talk more Walk—Making Changes as an Insider." I have a lot of MSWORD docs, and some in Appleworks, which requires a workaround as Apple hasn't supported that in years and none of the modern OS X systems even read the application. I have to use my older Mac portables to get at them, transfer any images I want to powerpoint on a thumbdrive and then work on from there. At least I don't have to redo all that work.

Or I can go from scratch. One surprise is that they sent instructions on downloading youtube video. Easy stuff, happy to know how now. I wanted to update this workshop anyway, and, truth told, I hope the kids have a lot of fun with in.

I'm also rolling into a full week of theater viewing and reviewing. There are 2 plays running on Islam or Middle East politics. Going full pace to do my research and hoping to find something interesting to say to add to the mix when it's all done.

At least for another week I'll be distracted from being down about money.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Howdy steppers,

Taking a quiet evening at home to regroup.

Suddenly this week is full of play-related stuff. Attended a panel related to the play Disgraced on Monday and saw the last preview last night. Didn't go as a reviewer, just for sheer enjoyment. What a concept!

Disgraced blipped onto my playdar as it is on track to be the most produced play nationally in 2016 and 2017! Pulitzer Prize, sold out in Chicago, NY, & London, yada, yada. Don't know if I love or hate FOMO (fear of missing out).

Then tomorrow begins a run of three days and 4 (!) plays, one to review on
Thursday (due Monday or Tuesday),
one to review Friday (due Sat. noon)
a second late show Friday night (no review) and
another later show Sat (to review by Sunday Noon).

Plan on taking a tape recorder and my trusty Alphasmart to get down as much of my immediate thoughts between plays as I can on Friday. Also, much of the boilerplate stuff (dates, theater, director and writer, etc.) can be drafted ahead of time.

Still, Sunday - a day without plays ... so far.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Hey, Lynx, have fun with the workshops and the play reviews.

Hi, Inspire. It's good to know that you're still around. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from this thread. That's so cool that you're the one who started it.

Me. I've been doing non-stepping activities, with just a very little writing thrown in. I'm trying to think of something fresh for Molly to blog about. All parties and Christmas activities went well.

Happy steppin.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I found a quote for this month:

"Procrastination is a postponement of your date with excellence." Mario Martinez

or:

"Procrastination is a postponement of your date with excellence. The delay is not resolved with commitments that are easily broken. Find how you learned to confirm your unworthiness with failure, and procrastination will vanish." Mario Martinez

Which do you like better?

Thanks, Tituba, for digging this one up.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi steppors,

Elaine, I like the first one. I think a key is taking the wheel and defining excellence for oneself, then lowering the bar when necessary to keep the work flowing.

Famously, Bill Stafford rose at 4 am everyday to write poetry. He did very minimal revisions and started sending them out to editors. An interviewer asked him what he did when his poems did not meet his usual standards. Stafford replied, "I lower my standards." I think that's great. Be in charge of yourself and make "excellence" easy to reach.

When I got stuck writing graduate papers I asked myself what gives. I was sweating how my readers (profs or peers) would react and I wanted them to think the papers were great. I thought harder, and realized evaluating the work was their job, writing the work was mine. Thus my excellence was to get my ideas in writing and then proof the paper well, and send it off.

That was very liberating and a style of thinking I continue to use to keep going.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 pm

HI, Steppers,

I'm back into steppin' with about an hour of writing. A writing exercise from my writers' group is turning into a blog entry which I'll post in a couple of days.

Lynx, thanks for the feedback. I kind of like the first way too. It has more impact.

Any other thoughs, Steppers?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:57 am

Hi steppres,

Up early with a bit of time so felt I might as well post a few steps.

One of my reviews (the paid one) was 'killed' which means they are not going to run it. I'm still getting a kill fee, half of the full fee, of $25. I immediately turned around and posted it on the other site where I put reviews. I'd put in a bit of time and attention and as the review is relevant to so much happening in the world I wanted to get to out on the web.

http://www.dramainthehood.net/2016/01/the-life-model/

Today: get a couple of books from the library, compose yet another job application, wrap my spirit around implications of settling for a survival job.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi Steppers,

Take care, Elizabeth. Sending more prayers.

All the best to Lynx, Elaine and Inspire on your goals!

It's been an overwhelming time.

My life has been upended and I am taking a week in Seoul to decide where to go and what to do with my life.

I will not be flying to Nashville on Jan 26th or getting a Masters in Atlanta, due to unexpected conditions imposed by my parents and finding out about a district-wide teacher corruption scandal, among other things. I do not want to go to Atlanta.

Please pray for me to find direction and wisdom.

Teaching at an overnight winter camp was great, though!

Peace out,

JazzMuse
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories