Feb. 2016 Daily Steppers

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Feb. 2016 Daily Steppers

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:44 pm

My speech for Wednesday, By the end of Saturday, the speech was truly terrible. All I really had done was that I downloaded most of the photos I needed. Today, it's rounding stuttering and mediocre, and heading for okay. Tomorrow I'm visiting an aunt in the hospital. so I'll get a half day to work on the speech. Hope I can get it up to good.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

17 - wed

Postby Lynx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:39 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, today's the day for your speech! Make it great!

Watched Trumbo last night in our city's last chance theater ($4). Heart, courage, leadership, hard work & genius. Somehow I've known my whole life he'd been blacklisted and Kirk Douglas had played a role by using his real name on Spatacus. May have been from a comment one of my parents made. The sad and scary thing for me is how ready the faceless and spineless public is to allow any politicians to demonize anyone.

Politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
~Charles de Gaulle~

Today:

final edits & Print out business taxes
back up same
call to edit some by-laws I'm helping to write
begin research and writing on five upcoming play reviews
invite friends to use my extra tickets
look up questions for phone interview for Tuesday

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi, Lynx,

Scary stuff, the McCarthy era. And the blacklisting. And it scares me how easily people can be influenced.

My speech was good, I think. The power point worked perfectly. I didn't stutter - at least not too much. I lucked out in that the other speaker cancelled, so I got to speak for fourteen minutes. ( I went for fourteen minutes, 11 seconds.) And I got to speak slowly enough that people could digest what I was saying. It's a lot of information for a fourteen-minute speech.

Anyway, good luck with your steps for today. I'm relaxing for a bit, and then It's back to some writing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:46 am

Hi steppers,

2 people I knew died recently and I wasn't able to go to a funeral for either one of them. God bless them.

Plus, I'll be broke until April 10th, when I get my first real paycheck, because I'm in "training". So I'm trying to find some extra work, without much luck, so far.

Fortunately, I've been meeting lots of great people in Seoul--my new neighbors, my new church members, and new co-workers! And I like my new home!

This is where I am.

I'm still reeling from everything in the past month, but I'm starting to get my bearings; and God keeps giving me small miracles, showing me I'm on the right path.

Congrats to Elaine on your successful speech!

Lynx, it's good to see you motivated and making progress!

Thank you for keeping things going!

JazzMuse
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:07 pm

JazzMuse, I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you peace and happy memories.
And I'm hoping for a chunk of money to come your way - just to tide you over til April. Maybe a voice coaching job or several.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi,

JazzMuse, I know ritually remembering people who have died when I can't gather with their other friends and family gave me something meaningful to do where I found myself. Maybe there's an idea there you can use.

About TideOver Jobs: Actually, since you know when you'll get regular checks, you can fill in the interim with all sorts of quick part-time or temporary work. Is there a craigslist in Seoul?

http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/

Some of these could be fun, avoiding the scams, of course.

Me:
Going carefully through a slideshare on questions I'm likely to get for a foundation program officer job.
Beginning drafts for 3 reviews at the end of next week.
Calling power company about weird billing.

Life goes on,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

19 your in box is empty

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:07 am

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I began to alternate between my in box and my sent box and delete or file the messages. Yesterday I had about 300 in my in box. After organizing them by sender and deleting whole groups of email, I managed to get it near 100 earlier today.

Then between other work, I kept reorganizing in different ways, now by date, oldest to newest, now by attachments (leaving those for last). I looked up and I was around 30!

I just kept going, now 8, oh, these bear re-reading (or some first reading because they were articles), now 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.

"your inbox is empty."

Seriously, yes!

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Lynx, a clean in box!!! I can't even imagine it.

I wrote some ucky stuff and read it to my friends. I didn't realize it was ucky until I read it. So that's making me not want to write. Will get over it eventually - I think.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi steppers,

I'm hung in suspension ... the assistant to the recruiter for a job which I've been hoping to get without knowing the specifics (know how that works) called me, asked if I could have a call conversation today (23rd). We set a time. That was seven days ago.

Today at the appointed time, nothing. No call, no text. I called and left a message for both of them.

This messes with my timing and drawing myself together for a great conversation.

Plus, I'm not sure what broke, of it signals they've made a decision and forgot me.

Arrrgghhh.
I'll do some dancing, shake it off, and ... wait for developments.

Gear shift: Anyway, here's a quote:

In Why We Work (New York: Ted Books, 2015), Barry Schwartz includes this quote from Bruce Springsteen:
"I understand it's the music that keeps me alive.... That's my lifeblood. And to give that up for, like, the TV, the cars, the houses — that's not the American dream.... Those are the booby prizes. And if you fall for them, when you achieve them, you believe that this is the end in and of itself — then you've been suckered in. Because those are the consolation prizes, if you're not careful, for selling yourself out, or letting the best of yourself slip away. So you gotta be vigilant. You gotta carry the idea you began with further. And, you gotta hope you're headed for the higher ground."

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 am

Hey, Lynx, re your telephone interview, I hope they have a really good reason. Makes me think of the baseball players and football players and the announcer saying, "he has to just shake it off and focus on the next play." Suddenly sports announcers are featuring in my writing.

Me - I'm posting "Iverson's Vision Quest" on my blog, just a couple of paragraphs every day or two. I'm getting a lot of traffic to my site, so that's good. Had ten different countries last week. My writing is barely slogging as I'm feeling that I'm not really a writer and am just kidding myself (Silly little old woman - she thinks she can write.) Especially the serious stuff.

Have to have a crown on my tooth. Rats!

But in the big picture, I don't have anything really terrible to complain about. Just wish I could step a little higher and faster.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:16 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, good traffic is people reading you works!

The drafting side feels lousy to many writers. I hear it's what you can do with the rewrites that makes the writing come alive.

On the dental side: I had a wisdom tooth that had lost a chuck of filling and a bit of tooth filled today by students at the local dental school. It took 3.5 hours. Should hold up for maybe 10 years.

Did a good job, though, and Obamacare in my state covers it. More to come. Like I said in January, make the call and then just keep in the flow till it's done.

Thought I had a phone interview yesterday. Lost in limbo till I got an email today (I was in meetings, my assistant was asked to reach you and didn't (false, I was of course looking at my phone and email all day). I'm lazer focused on the interview and that it goes well, anyway, but I have to slough off my angry vibes when composing my return email.

I need a break, this is a great opportunity, and I need the grimlins to snooze, say, for the rest of my life.

Tomorrow & Tomorrow:
Drafting as much as I can in advance of two play reviews on Thursday night.
Driving at 6:30 to the airport to drop off my significant other on Friday.
A conference call on Friday Morning
Then another play.
Some civic engagement stuff on Saturday.

and Sunday I rest.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:13 am

Hi, Lynx,

Re phone interview, While the obvious explanation is gloomy, maybe there's some weird mix up and you look back on this and think, 'thank goodness I gave them a chance.'

Re teeth. My old dentist, who was wonderful, is retiring. I needed a crown, and was seen by the new dentist. It was a period of adjustment with everyone trying to make a good impression (no pun intended). As well as I can remember, the assistant, who had worked for my old dentist, took a mold for the permanent crown, then took a second mold for the temporary crown. It didn't fit, (she said she wasn't used to working with the new set up and the new molds.) so she took a third mold, and it broke, so the other assistant took the fourth mold. And I left. That night I wondered about the first impression, which I think is the one they made for the permanent crown. As I remember, the first two impressions felt different from the last two. Of course the office is closed Friday (today). I left a message for the assistant to call me.

Re writing - I'm posting "Iverson's Vision Quest" on my blog. I wrote it about ten years ago, so I don't have to think or create. I'm having a lot of trouble writing anything new, or even editing the old stuff. I think I need to lower my standards, at least to get me going, with the hope that the old spark will come back.

Marching onward!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:54 am

Hi steppers,

I'm weary of this whole job seeking game. Had my interview rescheduled on Thursday, learned today I've been passed over. I've followed my heart my whole life, consequently I don't have a standard or established record of work in any single field. I have a phrase I'm playing with that's a twist on: that's the story of my life.

The twist: that's their story of my life.

I would have been great in that job! They wanted classroom teaching experience for "credibility."

I'm tired and going to sleep.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories