April 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

29 Warm-up and Steps

Postby Lynx » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi,

I have a fresh way to ease into 'work.' I'm calling it the Steinbeck Method—in honor of Mr. John S., noted writer.

Essentially you sit and write a journal or a friend saying anything re: mood, concerns for the work, energy level, family dynamics, etc.

I'm adding the Pomodoro Method of 25 minutes work, 5 minutes something else.

I have a rough agreement to write an editorial about the lack of racial and ethnic diversity in Journalism. I'm not a journalist, so bit aware I may need to spend more time tracking down details than someone in the field who would see related articles as a matter of course.

Also, have a general proposal to write to my last month's client proposing a second workshop and then anchoring a process for rearranging their services to accommodate the new skills they are learning.

It's 3 PM! Let's see, slept late, slight sore throat, dispatched email (took a while), made breakfast, made honey peanut clusters (taking some liberties with the recipe), started soup stock, started boiling some fruit skins and seeds rumored to be good for the skin, cleaned kitchen, looked at email again (enough of that!), and landed here. Oh, checked out the paid accounts for Keep and Share (online calendar). Concluded free still works for me.

OK, it's 3:10, to work for 25. GO!
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:56 am

Hi Steppers,

Elaine, Molly's so creative!

Just got the word my Social Security Retirement starts in 2 weeks and will drop about mid-month after that, till death do us part. I call it the FDR Lifetime Achievement Fellowship. It comes with this lifetime stipend.

Must admit, feeling relieved. Certainly not what I'd envisioned the past couple of years. Still massively underfunded for capitalist America. It helps, now for my good luck to show up. I guess I have to go luck myself.

This is my warm-up time. Bright day, at my standing desk have just gotten out of bed. Made a sun tea and sit it in a bright spot. Have a play review to finish. Feeling about 700 words. I'll see. Recovered a lot from a small sore throat from standing waiting for the bus too long a couple of nights ago.

I'll start the May thread.

Enjoy spring.
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: April 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby jj547190 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 pm

I will try it ...thanks
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
jj547190
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:39 am

Elaine,

I just skimmed the post. God, I'd do weed-eating for free! I miss my garden and yard so much. I hate living in an apartment. I walk a friend's little dog 2x per week in a neighborhood that could really use some pruning in their front yards. I LOVE PRUNING! I'm a master at it -- very artistic and make it look like it just grew that way naturally. I miss it so much, I've thought about putting a letter on people's front door, with sketches of the way it looks now and they way it would look if I pruned it. I'd do it for free, just for fun! But I think they would be offended or just think I'm koo-koo.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

June 15

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Inspired,

I'd put the ads around. If you were a teenager wanting to babysit there'd be smiles about entreprenuership and initiative. Really, no difference at whatever age.

After Richard Feynman's wife successfully guessed that he was not using cutesy pencils she'd sent she waited for his visit to her as she was dying of cancer in a hospital. She said, "What the hell do you care what other people think?" Good general question.

Go for it,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks, Lynx. Maybe one of these days I'll get up the courage to do it. I think maybe some of them just don't care. But maybe others would love to have their yard look better, but just don't have the money for it. Those are the ones who might be interested. I thought it might help if I explained in my note, the reasons why I'd do it for free. Let them know that I used to have a large yard and garden, how much I miss it, how much I miss being outdoors working in a yard. Let them know it's because I live in a small apartment now and I'm only allowed to have 3 potted plants on my tiny balcony. That might help them to understand why I would do it and they might think I'm less kooky. I'll let you know if I ever get up the courage to give it a try!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:37 pm

'they might think I'm less kooky.'

Ever consider you might be the only one who thinks you're kooky? Many will already have seen you, especially if you walk dogs.

I once did something and a friend asked if I was worried if someone might judge me. I said, not really because judgement can run in any direction (they might think it's great) and besides their judgement of me is not why I did it. It was a hard place to reach, but having found my stand it's been a very freeing perspective.

Who knows, as Billy Joel sang, "maybe it's a lunatic they're looking for," https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9t5XK0FhA

and we may not measure up!

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Lynx,

Thanks for taking the time to support me on this idea. Last time I took a walk I decided to look for the house I most wanted to work on. Guess what? There weren't any!

I realized something important. What I was most excited about was doing the drawings and doing the redesigning on paper. The actual work seemed.............well................ like a hell of a lot of physical work!

Here's my decision. I realized if I wanted to redesign and "prune" on paper, why not just do some nature drawing? The cool thing about being an artist is, you get to decide how big or small this or that tree is, prune it to the shape you want it, remove the shrubs that aren't attractive, add some flowers that aren't planted there. The final image is the way you see it in your mind.

Every week after acupuncture, I go to the local library. There's a comfy arm chair I sit in, a large window in front of me, with a large tree outside, that I stare at until I feel ready to gather up my books and go home. My acupuncturist LOVES TREES, and is giving me a huge discount on my treatments. I've decided to draw the tree, exactly the way I would like it to be, move the trees that are across the street, right next to "my tree", add some clouds up above (we're in a drought and there are NO CLOUDS!), and add some nice ground cover underneath.

One of the things I've always wanted to do as an artist, but never got around to is to do the same scene over and over again, using different media. First, I'll do graphite pencil; then white/dark charcoal on buff colored paper; then one in totally abstract colors using regular pastel; then another abstract in oil pastel, which I've never used before.

Can't wait to get started!

If it weren't for your support, I would have tossed the original idea and forgot about it. But because you supported me, it got me thinking about what I really loved about the idea and helped me to come to the decision above. THANK YOU!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

support

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:47 pm

HI IS,

"If it weren't for your support, I would have tossed the original idea and forgot about it. But because you supported me, it got me thinking about what I really loved about the idea and helped me to come to the decision above. THANK YOU!"

It's odd how a little support can get the wheels moving. I'm pleased to have given you an assist.

Maybe there might be $$ in doing "portraits" of people's favorite trees transposed to different locals or settings. I have a lightning struck cedar that's my support tree which I think would feel honored to have it's portrait done. Maybe you could draw small children playing at its base and fairies flitting nearby looking after it.

Just between us—It gets fidgety so the sitting sessions will have to be limited to a few days at a time.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 am

As someone with essentially a tree name, I'm delighted with the fun you're having, and improvements you're making on reality with your art.

Please let It know if there are pictures up sometime that we could see.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:19 am

Hi Lyndon,

Thanks for stopping by, and giving your input and support.

Lynx. Trees are very patient sitters. They do it all the time!

It's the humans who would be difficult. "Is it done yet? Can I see it? How far along are you? When can I pick it up? It seems to be taking a long time. Are you sure you know what you're doing? Maybe I need to see it half-way done so I can give you my suggestions. I might not like how you're doing it. What if I don't like the colors? Will you do a second one for free if I don't like the first one?"

Yikes! The trees would be much more pleasant to interact with than the humans!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 am

I just found all these unread posts. Wow! A treat!

Yes, to what Lynx said. Often someone on the boards gives me a word of encouragement, and it gets me going, when I would have stopped otherwise.
Inspire, if you want to share your art, I'd like to see it.

Me - I'm just writing. It's a good thing. For some reason, I'm full of ideas lately. As opposed to the hair pulling and absolute nothing I was dealing with about a month ago.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Elaine,

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so glad you're in that idea stage. Have you ever read about the stages of creativity? If not, it's useful. Keeps you from beating yourself up when you're not being productive.

I wish I could share my art, but I'm trying to remove all traces of myself from the internet. Except for this site, of course. If I knew some way of showing my art without my real name being used, I might consider it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories