June 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

June 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:58 am

Hello,

Welcome to the June Daily Stepping thread.

From the John Steinbeck again,

How the mind rebels against work, but once working, it rebels just as harshly against stopping.

Journal of a Novel, p. 147.

Make plans, set up steps, share here, report back. Repeat.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:03 am

Hi for June,

Thought I'd go to a city council debates on regulating rents in the case of substandard housing. Changed my mind and slept in, but listening online as I compose this.

If you were to see me in a cartoon there would be a thought bubble with ...
... Fatigued from holding up appearances. [turn off alarm] ... sleep in 2 more hours (which I did)

Next writing project is project to be on civility ... and scanning some pages ... plus some shopping today or tomorrow.

lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: June 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:07 pm

I thought of writing “Whew!” but feel too exhausted for an exclamation mark. But bunch of good stuff happened. Other than writing.

I found a storage unit that is 50 square feet bigger, for $86 a month less. This sounded worth spending Memorial Day weekend on – except for the afternoon and evening with old friends for Diane’s birthday party.

Diane is much better. (This space reserved for an exclamation mark when I pay off some I.O.U.’s to me body.) Two days in a row of zero coughs despite moving. She also – in rpg game jargon “Made my prudence roll” and stopped and rested frequently instead of knocking herself out.

It was a suboptimal move. Saved $10 for getting a smaller, more maneuverable truck – and it was much more enjoyable to drive. But needed to drive it another day as we have more stuff than the truck had space. Other plot complications ensued. If next move goes well, I may have the data for a light article.

An expected and rather enjoyable complication is that Diane does artistic stuff, rubber stamping, collages, “trash art” and kept going “Ooooh! I could make something from this.” And then one day one of her artist buddies came to help, and the amount of “Ooohs!” quadrupled ..

Rather than a cube of stuff that required archeology or mining digs to get at something, the new place is large enough for much lower towers of stuff, a walkway to everything, and we can have a couple desks or tables useable for us to sort through stuff. Some will audition for art projects. Some will serve the community by being recyclables.

So, having not regularly written this last week, I’m filling out a Camp Nonwrimo profile now. To my surprise “TypingPractice” wasn’t taken. I named my first fanzine Typing Practice, and wrote enthusiastically enough that my typing speed doubled in the next year, which led to an improved job.

We’re renting the truck from 9 AM Saturday, and don’t expect to be doing any writing until after 9 AM Sunday.

To be continued.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi,

I'm back. I was having trouble with my computer after Microsoft's gracious free upgrade (yes, I'm being sarcastic.)
Lynx thanks for starting June, and good wishes for your projects. I want to get to the place where it's hard to stop writing, but that hasn't happened.

Lyndon, sounds like a lot of good things. I hope you like Nanowrimo. (I hate stopping to put in all those capitals. ) I've done it for several years, and it's fun and motivating. Even if you don't reach your goal, you still get a lot of writing done - more that you would otherwise do. BTW in April and June you can set your own goal.

I'm writing again, and it's happening. The other things I want to do are on hold waiting for other people to do their part. Since they're doing me a favor, I don't feel like I can push them.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:04 am

Hi everyone,

I stopped by and said hello at the end of the May thread. InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi, everyone,

I just read the comments at the end of May. Laughed a lot.

Inspire, re Windows 10. There's a feature called Cortana, and it will type in answers to questions. BUT BE CAREFUL. I asked Cortana a question it couldn't answer, so it connected me to "live chat." Live chat said that a human would call in 2 - 10 minutes. That human was a hacker. Hopefully Microsoft is getting some static from their Windows 10 upgrade. I called to talk to a human using Microsoft's phone number. The wait time was greater than 45 minutes. I hope someone initiates a class action suit.

Re Molly's video - It's taking a long time. I have the moves choreographed (they're hand gestures - is that choreography?) I have permission for a child to perform a vital function in the video. I have a singer and an adult helper or, possibly two adults. It'll take a couple of days to shoot the video, probably not consecutive days. Oh, and Molly performs her part well. So, it's coming along. But geez! Molly's fourteen. For a while I was worried that she wouldn't live long enough to shoot the video.

I'll write more later. The hacking really made me anxious.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi Elaine,

I think I would call your hand gestures "directing the video". American sign language is made up entirely of hand gestures. Directors use verbal language to direct. Except when they throw down the script in disgust and stomp out. I think that gets the message across also. I'm imaging you throwing down the script and having Molly pick it up and run away with it. Let's play fetch!

Aren't you thrilled to now get "director" credits at the end of the film? Very classy! I'm impressed! Maybe you could make a cameo appearance if you're not already featured as an actor in the film.

Inspire Success. I chose the name, Inspire, because it means "breathe into" as in "breathe into the success of a project". A million years ago when I joined this site, people knew that. I thought I'd repeat it for people here who don't know that.

So..............I'm breathing success into the video. Whoosh!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 am

Hi everyone,

Lyndon I see you were busy moving and sorting. We once had a storage space for not very much but still it was an expense. So I made determination to close it. This likely intensified our patronizing of decluttering books and talks.

But we were able to do it. I began to frame my efforts as creating more space, as it is psychologically more comfortable going for gains and beginnings rather than dealing with loss (getting rid of) and ends (I'll never see this shirt with so much history again).

I'm talking with someone about at a project proposal this AM and them watching a city council hearing. Went to a press for the people conference/workshop on Saturday and see I have several things I can turn into freelance 'beats.'

Also have a piece on civility I've needed to delay to get other things finished. It's turn is up this week.

Plus attending 5 nites of talks/panels/networking this week around the idea of 'made in Seattle.'

Ready for everything to turn up.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Lynx – every time I read what you're doing, it exhausts me so much I have to go lie down! You seem to have an enormous amount of energy to actually do what you do.

I like your suggestion about thinking of having more space, instead of thinking about letting something go. I want to reduce the number of books I have by half. If I take your suggestion, for every book that I buy, I can go to my bookshelf and ask myself, "Which two books am I going to give away in order to make space for this one book"? It will be less painful, if I'm excited about buying a new book.

Lyndon – in spite of all the work you're doing, you actually sound excited about doing it! It sounds like you have a good plan. It's great that you have a table or desk that you can put things on to sort. That should make things a lot easier. It sounds like, in addition to doing huge moves, you also write! What type of writing do you do?

Elaine – last time I heard you were planning on giving up all of your writing, except the Molly writing. Was that just an overload comment, or did you actually mean it?

As for me, I'm designing again and loving it! See my new thread in Success Stories (Designing again: after a 25 year break). I think that's the title.

Good luck, everyone, with your projects.

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi, Everyone,

Inspire, I always thought of your name as giving inspiration. I hadn't thought of it as breathing in. BTW thanks for the inspiration.

I meant it about giving up writing. But after I gave it up, I started writing again. So I guess I just had to vent.

I also marvel at your energy, Lynx. I don't always understand what you're doing, but I'm always intrigued.

Hi, Lyndon, So glad Diane is doing better.

And hi, to anyone else reading this. A lot of people have come by this site. I hope you're still visiting us.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Lyndon, If you're going to try Nanowrimo in July do you want to be cabin mates?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Inspiresuccess: Like the name and good breathing.
I write essays of varying length on why I haven't been checking in regularly. More to come -- some on different subjects.

Elaine -- sure I'd like to share a cabin. I need to get a coherent description of my project first, for both camp and here.

One weekend turned into 2 plus a couple after work carloads. Finished moving the very last stuff out of old storage at 8:55PM (elevator access up stops at 9PM).
Settled accounts Wednesday, and Thursday I excavated the passenger seat of the Very Full Little Car that could.

We had plans this weekend, but mostly our bodies just collected IOUszzzzzzzzzzzzz.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Lyndon,

Congrats on the major storage move! Good goin'!

Now let's get you back to writing again. Good luck on all! What's a cabin mate?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Did half a dozen writing sprints yesterday, some of which I put on the metaphorical back burner while working on some "opportunity to practice patience" parts of work.
I'm good at patience, and had a rescued box turtle pet for 26 years.

Some of the sprints rose nicely and got more words later in the day.

It was fortunate that there's limited internet access at work (and sloooow Wi-Fi for my own hot spot), so I didn't get distracted by news until after being productive.

InspireSuccess: The cabins are an online writing group of up to 12 people in Camp Nonwrimo. There’s a camp season in July, and prep now.

http://campnanowrimo.org/

There were cabins for example for:

14-18 year old fangirls
Old Enough to Know Better, and several other 50+ authors.
Academic Writers
Christian authors
Knitting/Crafts/Women’s fiction
None of us reached our goals last time! So we’re back to try again.
Pirate Cabin (Yaaaarrr!)
Regional or language cabins – South Carolina, German, Spanish
Wiccan Authors
Writers dealing with chronic illness (several)
YA fantasy/retelling

Some of those are clearly not the best groups for this Lyndon.

Elaine: I’d like a cabin invite. My user name is TypingPractice. Do you need more info? Email?

I’m creating dots, and will see what connects.
Also, having ideas of how to say what my project is about, without taking several pages of “how to make an alarm clock” details.

But first, enough lunch and back to work at getting the computer to do more of the work.
Today has gone exceptionally well.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:15 pm

The IT department is zealous but sloppy at trying to protect us from the perils of the internet.
One day the Websense software decided to block me from a lot of sites I had been able to get to the day before.

From part of my service request:

Description : I'm a data analyst contractor ....
There is information that would be helpful to do my work, but websense is blocking in.
We tested several of the list below, and all the ones we checked showed up on my supervisor’s screen

www.colapublib.org Los Angeles County Public Library. Has technical databases on line free.
Blocked as educational institution.

www.lapl.org Los Angeles City Library. More online data, some different than County.
Blocked as cultural institution.

smpl.org Santa Monica Public Library. Smaller, but often acquires items faster than bigger systems.
Blocked as "society and lifestyles"

www.redondo.org/depts/library/default.asp Has some references on Visual Basic for Access that no other system I've checked has available for free.
Blocked as government.

(So far this is 4 different excuses given for blocking libraries)

www.ci.pasadena.us/library Pasadena Public Library. Being in the same city as Caltech it sometimes has nifty new high-tech info.
Blocked as government.

Wikipedia.org Reference material. If I'm look at reference material at work, it's to find something I need to refer to at work!

((They "closed the ticket" with a link to another form to fill out. That did work, so they got to claim another ticket in processing the form as more productivity.
Never did find out why things that used to work suddenly didn't though.))
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories