June 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: June 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:11 am

Lynx, your quote for the moth is a winner. I am also on a writing jag.

Lyndon I laughed out loud at the sites that IT blocked. Blocking libraries and govt! Come on!

I'll get the cabin invite out to you. Hope you enjoy Nanowrimo.

Hi, Inspire. Good to see your posts.

Me I'm writing a lot. That's mostly because I'm editing work that's in pretty good shape to begin with. I get stuck when I read something I've written and think, 'Oh this really stinks. I need a game of solitaire to get over the trauma of having read this schlock.' As always, I'm hoping to have stuff to tell you about marketing Molly, but so far everything's on hold until I get help from some people who are unavailable. (For good reasons.)

Anyway, happy steppin' to everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby La Fenice » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new!

This last month has been very mentally intense. My life is going to change drastically soon: I am living in Asia at the moment and moving back to Europe in 40 days.
My brain feels drained from too much thinking "what to do".
So I have decided to do sport everyday and since the last 10 days I have managed to stick to it! :D
My body has already started to change and I love this!
(And I am reading "Refuse to choose" ;) )
La Fenice
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Lyndon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Le Fenice, we've been tired just moving storage stuff to an adjacent zip code. Best wishes on moving enjoyable to another continent and time zone.

My project has several parts, I have the rest of the month to decide which parts are reasonable with pushing, which are crazy but possible, and what I should really put off.

This is getting read to set up an online game from perhaps 20-40 people. More than would fit in any of our living rooms.
The setting is from an out-of-print TSR (D&D) game world in the 1990's, and small to medium groups have been playing online on bulletin boards since pre-web days.
I started in the late 1990's and last played in an excellent one in 2014-2015, when both of the GM's elderly parents needed extra care.

Attempts to write an "around the block" pitch (no way would it fit in one elevator ride) kept spiraling out from paragraphs to pages. Well, good I like the subject.

Tasks:
Write up about the world from dozens of character-eye views, biased, earnest, sometimes with a passion for truth, sometimes with a passion for con games.
The players will control the major wizards, dukes, counts, two (2) independent city states, religions, trade networks, and some of the Big Monsters in an area where the Empire fell half a century ago.
It's delightfully messy! For instance my last character was the leader of the local church of the goddess of Luck and Trade, with temples in five duchies and counties, 3 of which went to war in a succession dispute. Some dukes just don't do effective cost-analysis.

This could give me time to test drive a book on 37 archetypes, and see if it's pigeonholes work for me.

There will be some OOC (out of character stuff) on rules so resolve things more methodically"Got you!" "Did not!!" "DID TOO!!!"

There will be a website/bulletin board with a variety of forums, including private ones for those plotting together.

Then there should be some behind the scene mechanics, spreadsheets and stuff to get my computer do as much of the paperwork and processing calculations and website updates as possible.
I can handle 3 or 4 people rolling dice around a table every week or two is something I can do with bare hands and pen and paper. But dozens of players around the world -- even with monthly turns requires some compromises. Which is one reason why monthly turns usually end having 7, 8, 9 weeks to get through.

I think that website part and below should mostly be some other month.

To be continued! I'm in people's way at the clinic now.

Lyndon

P.S. And I have en enjoyable urge to hand-write stuff.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Elaine,

Thanks for stopping by my Designing Again thread. I decided not to do my goals and steps here because it seems like all the steppers are writers these days. I thought I'd keep my designing separate. I'll still be stopping by here to see what all the steppers are up to.

After 42 years of journal writing, I've been thinking it might be time for me to write something else. Or not. Who knows. If I do start writing something else, I'll stop by and said, "Guess what, Guys!" And you'll all groan, sigh, and say............................OMG ANOTHER WRITER!

Happy steppin' to all you writers and everyone else.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Weddnesday I had an evening appointment, but treated myself to some more index cards, in 2 different colors, and a new notebook. This one had a different texture of cover than I had ever had before, sort of lightly correlated.

Thursday Diane had an evening appointment, but at dinner afterward as i explained the project she went "Ooooh! Can I help?"

Friday I went to bed without my supper, going to sleep at 6:30PM. This was productive but tiring week. I hadn't been expecting that complication.

Regularly daydreaming about writing.

Inspiresuccess: There have been other projects besides writing, and I will be doing other stuff later. But getting my writing mojo recovered is a prerequisite for the other stuff.

Lynx: Hoping for progress with the job and writing saga.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Howdy everyone and a special welcome to our newcomer, La Fenice,

Hi Lyndon, I know also about fatigued. I don't struggle against it, If I feel tired and have the time, I nap or sleep. Then I'm up deep into the night while it's cool — turns out. Who knew?

I'll catch up with everyone's reports in a bit. I have a growing pile of to-dos, most I've noted before.

My civility article idea keeps growing in my mind, which is a sign I'm wading into something perhaps too big or complex or messy or unsolvable.

Is there a creation myth someplace like this: "In the beginning was Civility ... " The Tower of Babel story is kindov a message about the loss of civility. Are there others?

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:43 pm

On Camp Nanowrimo I reduced the number of words in my project description and sample. This is a good thing, and reminded me in a way about one of Dad's story.

He was a computer program developer, working at a company with management that didn't fully understand just what programmers did, or how to measure their productivity. So they hired consultants who were skilled at getting management to pay them.

The consultants suggestion was to measure lines of computer code produced. This was something easy to measure and count. But.
Dad was the senior programmer, and he could show the "kids" how to re-write the code using half as many lines. Or if he had time, he could re-write it himself in a third or a quarter of the lines. So on a good week there were less lines of code than the start. "So, should I be paying them?"
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:09 pm

hi y'all,

Yes, Lyndon, pay them. It's smart to pay for smart. May not support cunning but misguided consultants (CMC, LLC). I'm not that type; I'm unemployed.

Always befuddled by how fast the hours slip past in a day.

Waiting to hear if I'll be in a research project tomorrow for pay; no calls or emails, so I think I'm out again.

Detoured by some paperwork for keeping my ObamaCare going, should be able to send off tomorrow.

Sill working on my list of free music for the summer by playing clips from the bands' sites or youtube. Fun background music.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

21 Have I crossed into a New Self-Awareness?

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 am

Hi folks,

This post is about non-doing. I awoke this morning replaying the conversation we had in our condo board meeting last night.

We have to get the siding done, simply have to. My partner and I have been anointed the siding committee for official sanction for doing some of the gumshoe work—calling consultants and contractors, etc. and touring them around the place, keeping contact with them, etc.

I didn't say anything when ...
    Person A said the proposal I sent around a few years ago went nowhere.

Person B said that the oversight fees are reasonable @ 8 or 9%, not the 30% of previous estimates.

Person C confused consensus and majority vote and how proposal discussions work.

From my view each of these misrepresents a truth as I see things, and each for one reason or another contradicts something I'd written or said. A few things I even said before these statements at this very meeting.

I felt a pinch, and kept my silence. For my whole life I've had a performance for moments like this: an immediate need to get the 'floor' and call out the mistake, urgent tones as I argued to convince the other person of the error of their 'says,' etc. And afterwards my partner would rake me over the coals about getting too animated, etc. Then I'd defend myself, and we'll get into a row ourselves.

It's particularly tough to hold my tongue as group dynamics is my professional field of study and practice. I tell you, though, the pinch was a far milder feeling than the former ways which would leave me worked up with "them" and "her" for hours. Ah, but did I ever feel strongly at those times, and strong feelings got mis-equated with feeling alive.

Right now the only issue in active play is the problem of avoiding someone not liking some aspect of a proposal. Consensus or unanimity you want!? Ha! Here? With us? Just wait, majority rule will come roaring in when the majority are frustrated with the delays. In the meantime not much to do but relax and enjoy the 'slow.'

Finally got to practice Thomas Edison's wisdom: "There are many times in life where one should remain silent. You should use every one of them."

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:34 am

Journal of a Novel is waiting for me to pick up at a library near home Saturday.

I mentioned my Camp Nanowrimo project to some people Wednesday evening who responded "Wow!" and "That's very complex and detailed. I like seeing how you think."
Over the next few days I need (and look forward to) telling various online friends as an instant accountability squad.

Lynx: Congrats on efficient pinching. I've been gradually better at avoiding conversation where the other person won't listen.
I've been gradually better at not wasting energy on -- as our techie friends say -- "Connection with clue-server refused" non-interactions.

Elaine: A phrase I've found helpful in rough times, when "Have a nice day!" would be so off-target, is "Have the best day possible."

To be continued.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 am

Hi, Everyone,

Lyndon, after you accepted my invite, I opened up the cabin to everyone else . . . and they removed your name. Sorry. I was hoping to get to invite one person, and then fill the cabin randomly. I guess they won't let you do that. if you can figure out a better way to do it, let me know. I did want more than two people in my cabin, even if we are the two coolest writers in Nanowrimo. :D (two of the coolest?)

Anyway, happy writing and steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 pm

On the exercise front, we spent a lot of Saturday at storage, and I re-packed and scrunched stuff together to clear about 3-4 square meters (it's irregularly shaped, and I didn't feel like the geometry calculations), and then added a small car load. The car was small, the load was not so small.

We had a series of wins -- getting boxes out of the way of a bookcase, which Diane loaded with coffee table books. "We're going to have to buy a lot of coffee tables!" Several additional consolidations, and the biggest win -- stopping in time to be able to enjoy Sunday.

On the writing front, I did more hand-written planning, outlining and number-crunching, and got my first public post up on lyndonslibrary.com That is "public" for a very quiet value of "public."

The games are played online on a web forum. I'm still learning the software, however Saturday I dug up a book on PHP and MySQL that had a whole chapter on forums. I nibbled at it some during lunch, and then was able in about 5 minutes to fix a problem I had run around in circles for an hour or so last week.

Now I'm consistently writing enough small sprints that I often run off the fingers of one hand when counting, and almost every day at least a couple longer sessions.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:26 pm

hello everyone,

Lyndon, I dropped by to look at your first post. Look forward to more, let us know.

Myself, had a pair of back to back intense days Friday and Saturday, and hung out with new friends for almost 6 hours on Sunday.

Dropping in to help my editor for theater reviews update some information. Had to bring my own Macbook Air because Windows 10 was too fast, had too many drop down windows, threw up a MacAfee security box every time I entered a web page, made it had to change from all caps to Title Case, etc. I was wearing myself down and losing time just correcting things and closing unneeded dialog boxes.

Much happier with my own equipment.

Busy all day tomorrow networking [and also attending a workshop.]

Check in again on Wed,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Write, write.
Got into a cabin with interesting people. Writing projects include comedy, science fiction, and non-fiction on cemeteries in U.S. history.

Got a post up on my website, and having good little software learning experiences.

Also had some manageable resistance on sharing my work. This is one of the expected benefits of the exercise, in putting my work out.

And spent a couple hours in apartment excavation and found half my overdue library books.

To be continued some time when my eyes are more consistently open. Good day, but long.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 am

Lynx, concerning Windows 10 !%%^#&#^#&#*3!!!!! I wonder if the extra security is there because people using it are experiencing more hacking. I'd like to think that the people at Microsoft read my not too happy comments about getting hacked and are taking extra precautions. But I doubt that anyone cares.
I
Lydon your game ideas are intriguing. I stopped by your web site. Hope it goes well. I played a couple of games of D & D back in the stone age, and it was fun. I had a lot of respect for anyone who took the time to design the dungeons. I remember once being a thief and stealing money from the other people in my party. Not sure if that says I have a lot of imagination, or that I really got into the character or that I'm just a shady person. Anyway, it was fun.

Me - I'm having fun writing. Ran out of ideas yesterday and stopped. I hope they come back again today. it's funny, but it doesn't feel like I have control over whether I get ideas or not. It's like they come to me from somewhere else.

Happy Wednesday, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories