Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:27 am

Hi reginamirus,

Thanks for coming here and posting your comments. If there are other places on the internet where I can go and be connected with Barbara Sher people who are very actively going after their goals and enthusiastically support others, I'd love to know about them. I'm not on Facebook, but if that's what it would take to get some response, I'd be willing to do that. Barbara's books have influenced my life greatly and I want to be in contact with others pursuing their goals.

Technically, these Boards aren't "dead", but it sure feels like they are to me. There was a time when they were lively and active with many people posting their dreams and all of us enthusiastically supporting each other. I'd like to find someplace else where Barbara's followers are like they used to be here. Please let me know where to go. Thanks.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am

Hi, Inspire,

Well, your designer thread certainly isn't dead.

Here's what I know about:

There's Hanging Out With Barbara Sher. There a fee for this - I think $180 for the first year. The first year, you get three e-mails each week, and they contain a video clip, an audio clip, or a story or exercise to to do. And of course there's a place for comments from everyone else in the group. The second year - I think there's a fee for this too - you get two e-mails each week, and every other month you get to participate in a phone call with about twenty people including Barbara Sher. (I think that goes with year two - not positive.)

Sometimes PattyN does book clubs where you read one of Barbara Sher's books, do the exercises and comment on them.

There are at least two facebook sites - one is "Scanners look what I just did." Or something like that. People post their projects. Also, there's Scanners look what I'm about to do, and again people post the projects they plan to do. You have to be invited, but that's no problem everyone is welcome.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:50 am

Reginamirus, I just realized why you haven't heard from Hanging Out right away. When HO first started, people would join the group immediately, and they'd get "day one" the first Monday, Day 2 on the first Wednesday, and so on. The problem was that if you were the only one who had started that day, you wouldn't get a lot of conversation on your post. Empty room syndrome. A lot people said they felt isolated. So now Patty or Barbara or someone starts a group of people at the same time, and you get a group of people commenting on each other's posts and getting to know each other.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:01 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:Hi, Inspire, Well, your designer thread certainly isn't dead.

It sure feels like it is.

Elaine Glimme wrote:There's Hanging Out With Barbara Sher. There a fee for this - I think $180 for the first year. The first year, you get three e-mails each week, and they contain a video clip, an audio clip, or a story or exercise to to do. And of course there's a place for comments from everyone else in the group. The second year - I think there's a fee for this too - you get two e-mails each week, and every other month you get to participate in a phone call with about twenty people including Barbara Sher. (I think that goes with year two - not positive.)

I checked this out before coming back here. Aside from the price, which is high for me, I didn't think I would get the type of support I used to get here. Hanging Out seemed more like a chatty place for scanners. I'm sure this thread makes it clear that I'm a Diver who has a very clear view of what I want to do and I take ongoing steps to do it. I'm sure it's also clear from reading my posts on other threads, I enjoy being continually supportive of other people's ongoing projects. That's the way it used to work here.

Elaine Glimme wrote:Sometimes PattyN does book clubs where you read one of Barbara Sher's books, do the exercises and comment on them.

What is PattyN and where do I go to check it out?

Elaine Glimme wrote:There are at least two facebook sites - one is "Scanners look what I just did." Or something like that. People post their projects. Also, there's Scanners look what I'm about to do, and again people post the projects they plan to do. You have to be invited, but that's no problem everyone is welcome.

Once again, there seem to be so many things for scanners, but not for Divers.

Barbara Sher's books have shaped who I am, in whatever I do in life. But at this point, because her books have helped me be so clear about what I want, I'm thinking that maybe BS groups are no longer what I need. I need other people who know what they want, are going after it, and are willing to support me the way I support them. Unfortunately, I don't know where that would be online or in real life. Which is why I keep hanging in here in hopes that other active people will join. But I need to let go and move on. I just don't know where to go. :(
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 am

Great question, inspiresuccess. I've joined about every FB group that's listed for scanners and success teams, now. Some of them have let me in right away, a few others have left me in the pending box for days, now (they're closed groups, so an admin has to approve your entry). Here's an index for the lists of groups. I just joined all of the ones I could find. http://sherschoolforscanners.blogspot.d ... nners.html
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 am

PattyN is Patty Newbold (Sorry if I misspelled your name, Patty.) She's Barbara's right hand person.
And I consider myself more a diver than a scanner. The two Facebook sites are for people to talk about their projects. I don't think you really need to be a scanner to enjoy them.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:58 pm

reginamirus wrote:Great question, inspiresuccess. I've joined about every FB group that's listed for scanners and success teams, now. Some of them have let me in right away, a few others have left me in the pending box for days, now (they're closed groups, so an admin has to approve your entry). Here's an index for the lists of groups. I just joined all of the ones I could find. http://sherschoolforscanners.blogspot.d ... nners.html

Thanks. I took a quick look. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I'll go back and check them out. My hesitation about Facebook is I don't want to use my real name. I tried years ago the set up a fake one and they blocked me. A friend told me recently that they might have changed that. I guess I could try again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:There are at least two facebook sites - one is "Scanners look what I just did." Or something like that. People post their projects. Also, there's Scanners look what I'm about to do, and again people post the projects they plan to do. You have to be invited, but that's no problem everyone is welcome.

This is something I'll try. The thing about working with her books is...I've already done that for 20 years! Now I'm living the life instead of doing exercises and reading.

I wish there weren't so much focus on Scanners, but I guess I could at least check it out and give it a try.

This design business is a big deal for me. I have a lot to say about it, obviously. And I have really wished more people would support me in it.

I'm going to copy this whole thread and put it into my personal journal. I'm going to start a few separate sections in the journal to help me with the different aspects of this experience -- the project I'm making for the one person, my baby blanket book, one-of-a-kind sweaters for myself. So much going on in different areas.

Thanks for all the info about the different places I could go. I don't think Hanging Out would work for me. I don't need emails and exercises etc. Plus, with $190 I could buy a drafting table, drafting chair, and special lamp. I think that's where my money would be best spent to help my business.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Inspire, you wrote that your designing is important to you, and I'm sending good wishes, and I think your designs are top notch. They're different from anything else I've seen. I'm curious if you post it on Scanners look what I'm about to do, if you get some good encouragement.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Inspire, you wrote that your designing is important to you, and I'm sending good wishes, and I think your designs are top notch. They're different from anything else I've seen.

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

Elaine Glimme wrote:I'm curious if you post it on Scanners look what I'm about to do, if you get some good encouragement.

I won't be. My approach is very different -- launching a professional business when the entire thing is ready to go. Professional business versus, "Let me show you what fun I'm having with crafts".

I know what it takes to create a successful business. It takes a lot of planning, work, knowledge, skill, and well-developed talent. Plus, now days with so much stuff on the internet, the competition is even stiffer.

I enjoy my work. But it is work. Playtime for me will be designing sweaters for myself. Even that involves developing my own personal style within the one-off, one-of-a-kind, wearable art type design. I'm cautious about showing that until it's developed as well.

Just in case it seems like I'm being overly picky, remember -- I've had designs stolen from me, I've had people sell my designs illegally even though they were copyrighted. So, I'm cautious for good reason.

But I will selectively share the designs with some people. :wink:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Do what you think is right, Inspire. We're all with you as you know.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Elaine, do you like doing math? If so, maybe I could hire you to do the math for my designs. For someone who enjoys math, I'm sure it's a piece of cake. For someone like me, it's a huge struggle. Probably wouldn't be for about 6-12 months from now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:58 am

I do like math, Inspire. And I'd be honored to help you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I do like math, Inspire. And I'd be honored to help you.
Thank you so much!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm here again. It's a new year. Time to start fresh.

I have an appointment next week to get new eye glasses. I'm way overdue. That should help my vision.

I have my new lamp, which I love.

I'm hoping with those 2 things in place, I can get back to finishing the hat/scarf set. The person who ordered it thinks I'll never finish it. I'm still determined to do so.

I have some health issues going on, but once I get my new bifocals I intend to get back to work.

For anyone reading this who is hoping to get going on an old dream or a new one, happy new year. I'm wishing you the best of luck. Start your own thread in any of the Forums. I will definitely be there to support you.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories