Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 am

Today, I'm focusing on writing. I have a vision of spending most of the day writing. I tend to go in fits and starts. And when I don't know what to write, I start playing solitaire. Let's see how much actual writing I can get done.

to the page.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:Today, I'm focusing on writing. I have a vision of spending most of the day writing. I tend to go in fits and starts. And when I don't know what to write, I start playing solitaire. Let's see how much actual writing I can get done. to the page.

Hi Elaine, Good luck with the writing. Just a reminder --- this is my design thread. I think you might have gotten it mixed up with the Steppers Thread.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 pm

I did get it mixed up. I was surprised to see it posted here. Sorry.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 am

I had a dream last night that might turn my designing in a whole new direction. I think I'm wasting my talents on the baby blanket book. That doesn't mean I'm giving up on it. It just means I might do other things as well.

I've always kept my designing and art in separate categories. There is a category that I've always wanted to explore but never have. This might be the time for me to do it. It's called Art-to-Wear or Wearable Art. I'll write more about it later.

I'm so grateful for my dream for reminding me of this!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 am

Yes, I'm scrapping the baby blanket book. But, I did learn a lot about myself and what I want to do from working on it.

1. Nature inspires my work.
2. I've always wanted to create a “collection”, not just separate, unrelated pieces.
3. I've always hated doing the math, instructions, final sample pieces, etc. required by the craft field I used to work in.
4. Separate chapters in the book were based on places I've lived throughout my life and nature in those areas.
5. The media I want to work in, is knit/crochet/embroidery.

All of that can be applied to one-of-a-kind pieces. Most people who work in the field don't do collections. In fact, I don't know anyone who does. But I know some people who are really good, whose work has themes running through it.

Also, I've always admired art quilts. These are works of art, using quilting, and are designed to hang on the wall like paintings. Those artists will be an inspiration for me, more so, than wearable artists, many of whom I do not think of as artists.

I'm excited about the new direction. No more technical stuff. Just let my imagination run wild and be the artist/designer I've always wanted to be.

So far, I've looked on Amazon and selected a few books on free form knit/crochet to get ideas.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm

That sounds wonderful, inspiresuccess! Are you thinking about incorporating raw natural found objects into your clothing? I'm thinking mostly of tree seeds / shells / pods such as acorns and samaras, but perhaps also vines, bark and whatnot. I suppose the materials would have to endure repeated washings, though.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:38 pm

SquarePeg wrote:That sounds wonderful, inspiresuccess! Are you thinking about incorporating raw natural found objects into your clothing? I'm thinking mostly of tree seeds / shells / pods such as acorns and samaras, but perhaps also vines, bark and whatnot. I suppose the materials would have to endure repeated washings, though.

Interesting idea, SquarePeg. I've thought in the past of doing jewelry with natural objects and dipping them into some type of resin to protect them. I'm glad you reminded me of that.

One-of-a-kind pieces are rarely, if ever, washed. They're usually only worn on special occasions or hung on the wall like art pieces.

I like the idea of attaching pins (pins meaning jewelry that you pin on) to the clothing that could be removed before washing or positioned in different areas, different ways, by the wearer. Never thought of that before. That could be really fun for the wearer. I think I'll try something like that for myself.

Your daughter is an artist, isn't she? What's her medium?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 pm

She likes to paint, usually using water-based paint on paper or canvas. She likes to draw on paper with marker, pen or pencil. The subject is usually free-form lines and shapes, such as Zentangle. She received a really good SLR camera for a graduation present, and she enjoys doing weird stuff with it like long exposure. Then she might take a digital image and alter it with an image editing program like The GIMP.

She knits hats, scarves and hand warmers.

Thanks for asking! :)
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 pm

SquarePeg, thanks for explaining the robot situation on the boards. I've been checking whose online each time I'm online and most of the time the only other "people" online are the "bots". What puzzles me is why robots would be so interested in my design thread.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 am

:D I hope you have a lot of fun and success with this. It sounds as if you found a good fit with this project. Just don't stress out.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories