Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks, Elaine.

I sure could use some accountability right now. Procrastinating again. It took me an entire day yesterday to figure out how to do one leaf out of 16. I finally realized today that the solution to the right-handed and left-handed problem is the trace the diagram with tracing paper and then turn it over to reverse the image. I haven't tried it yet.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:55 pm

This situation just continues to be bad. The leaf looks good finally and I've finally figured out how to do it left-handed. However.........................................................I'm going to run out of yarn. Each leaf takes a great deal of yarn because of the 3 layers. I just ordered more with 2 day shipping. I'll use what I have and then have to wait. :bash:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:02 pm

I just went back and doubled my order. No way am I going to run out. But the extra shipping cost me $24, which sucks, but necessary.

:bash: :bash: :bash:
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Oh, how frustrating! $24 is too much for shipping, but I am glad you will not run out.

Congrats on getting it done left handed! I hope it gets easier and more enjoyable. We are rooting for you!
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 am

It's going to be gorgeous. I love the idea of embroidered leaves to finish off the work. I sympathize with the shipping. And the bashing icons. When you try something new, (or something you haven' done in 25 years,) you run into all kinds of snags. It's amazing what can happen that you never dreamed of in a million years. Just sending good vibes to you. I'm glad you're steppin' and I'm glad you're sharing the process.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:12 am

Okay, I'm intrigued. Would you be willing to sell me a copy of the pattern when you get it finished? I'm not much of a knitter or crocheter, but reading all of this makes me want to try it. I can't imagine any way that I could do anything with the pattern other than use it to make a hat and scarf, but anything you want to do to protect your rights to the pattern would be okay with me.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:38 am

Elaine,

PM me about this!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm still a really long way from being done, but I did find a way to make it easier. I taught myself how to embroider right-handed.

Plus, I figured out a way to have the back not look like a gigantic mess. This is important because the scarf will show the back. Thank God I had a hat to test this out on first. The mess will be inside and not show.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Lynx shared something in another thread about saying yes or no. My first therapist, 40 years ago, said, "It's okay to change your mind".

Once I saw how difficult this would be, I could have just told the woman I wouldn't be able to do it. I thought since I say yes, I had to follow through.

If I had it to do over again I would have said no in the first place. If I said yes, and then discovered how difficult it would be, I would have said, sorry can't do it.

Now I'm stuck with it. I keep having to pull stitches out over and over again because I'm not doing them right. :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:59 pm

I just emailed the person and apologized. It's been THREE MONTHS since I told her it would take 2-3 weeks. How humiliating!

The embroidery is going so slow it's unbelievable. I thought the more I did it, the easier it would get. Unfortunately, not true. :(
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:48 pm

I've made the decision to sell this to her at half-price. I'm not happy with the long delay. I'm not happy with the quality of my work. Making the decision makes me feel better.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:58 pm

I have a feeling she won't feel comfortable with 50% off. I'm going to suggest 25% off -- $150 instead of $200.

Still going really slow. It doesn't seem to be getting any better or any faster. I had to completely remove one leaf because it was so distorted.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:07 pm

I have to face the reality that I am no longer a professional. I am a beginner. I will have to relearn everything I used to know.

My design ability has not changed. The designs for the book are strong. But my actual skill level in doing all the needlework I used to do, is gone.

I have a quilt that was so finely quilted by me -- the stitches were so uniform and tiny -- that people think it was quilted by machine. Only when they look up really close, can they see the tiny irregularities that make it clear it's done by hand. This embroidery would have been perfect. It looks amateur and there's nothing I can do about it, except give a discount.

This project has been really humbling. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Feeling terribly uninspired
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:19 pm

It's hard for me to tell whether your work really isn't good enough or whether you're struggling with perfectionism.

Who's to say what a proper leaf should look like, compared to one that's distorted. Nature never gives us the exact same leaf, and the effects of sun, wind, drought (especially drought) and herbivores alter Her design even more.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:24 pm

SquarePeg wrote:It's hard for me to tell whether your work really isn't good enough or whether you're struggling with perfectionism.

Thanks for asking about that.

It's not perfectionism. It's measuring up to what the New York magazine editors used to require of me. Plus, if someone is paying $200 for a hat/scarf set, I don't want it to look "crafty", I want it to look professional.

It's so hard not to produce something professional. It's hard to face the skill I've lost. Not only was I a good designer, I was a good business person. I never missed a deadline. I was totally reliable. That's one of the reasons the editors liked working with me.

I thought about what you said about the leaves in nature. She requested that I do this for her, after seeing the professional photo of it. All the leaves looked perfect!

She sent me a really nice email when I apologized again for the delay. I told her personal issues were getting in the way. She emailed back and shared that she has breast cancer. I was touched that she shared that with me. And she said again how patient she is about this. She lives in PA and she said it was 93 degrees! So, a delay on a winter hat/scarf set is okay!

I'm taking the day off. I really need it. Thanks for checking in with me on this, Square Peg. I've been feeling like I'm hanging out in outer space with no net below.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories