Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Many people read this thread. I want to ask you, beg you, plead with you, to write ANYTHING here. Even a "keep going", "good for you", "enjoying your thread", etc. really helps. It helps a lot. PLEASE...take a moment to comment, no matter how small or short it is.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi Inspiresuccess, I mean this with kindness...

Turn off the computer, stop fooling around and get started!

Sorry dear.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:21 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Hi Inspiresuccess, I mean this with kindness...

Turn off the computer, stop fooling around and get started!

Sorry dear.

THANKS, SQUARE PEG! I got a really late start time and a really early stop time. In other words, I didn't get much of anything done.

BUT...SINCE YOU INSIST...I'll get back to it and do a little bit more! Thanks!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Okay, SquarePeg. Just for you. I did more work. I kept saying, "This is for you SquarePeg... :lol:

The following isn't complaining -- just observation and information.

I used to play piano and guitar; do quilting and embroidery; knit and crochet; and do artwork -- mostly drawing. All of these require a very specific type of concentration and eye-hand coordination. I haven't done any of these things in about 25 years. The level of concentration, visualization of shapes, eye-hand coordination and struggling with the right-hand/left-hand issue, has combined to make this work unbelievably difficult.

Now I really am done for the day!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Good job! And thank you!

I hope you're getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep can contribute to concentration problems.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Rock on!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi SquarePeg,

Thanks for posting today. I just took a break and I'm having trouble getting back to it again. I'll start doing it for you again! That actually helped me yesterday.

I am getting plenty of sleep. The concentration issue comes from what I wrote below -- visualizing the shapes, using my hands to do delicate stitches that need to be lined up very closely, left-hand/right-hand confusion. I keep switching hands which tangles it up and I have to pull it out again and start over. CONCENTRATE ON USING THE SAME HAND. I have to keep saying that. Some stitches I'm totally unable to do left-handed. Others I can do both but it gets confusing. 25 years ago I'd not only figured out how to reverse everything from right-hand instructions to left -- I also was very good at it. I'm struggling but I'm doing it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:41 am

I think you gift is the designing. So this is the hard part of the wish. Please keep going. And, if possible, don't stress. But you're still free to grumble here if you want to. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks Elaine.

You're right. I'm a really good designer. That is my gift. I can take traditional patterns that have been done for many years and tweak them in simple ways that make them both familiar but fresh.The technical stuff has always been a challenge.

I've been viewing my ideas for the baby blanket book on a daily basis and can't wait to get started swatching to see if they translate into yarn. So far, I really like the sketches and ideas. I'm still intrigued with the concept of the book. There are 14 nature books on Amazon. Unfortunately, there are only about 4 in my local library. I can't afford to buy them all so I can't compare my idea to what's out there. I'm thinking about checking the libraries in other counties to see if they have some.

I felt last night like something shifted in my brain about doing this embroidery left-handed. I'll see if that's actually true when I get to work today. If it is true, it would make the rest of the project so much easier.

Thanks for checking in.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

So what became of the something shifting in the brain?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:04 pm

I've had to face it today -- I cannot do this project. I sent an email to the person who I was doing it for and told her so. She was so kind and understanding. At some point, I will tell the story of how this person came into my life and how she came to ask me to make this hat and scarf for her.

I have to let go of designing and take on some of these huge life challenges that I haven't admitted to myself, to her, or to people here on the Boards. Not stuff I want to go into. Big enough to make it impossible for me to do even the smallest of things - - like concentrate enough to do embroidery.

Thank you SquarePeg, Jennifer, Elaine, Lyndon, and anyone else whom I've forgotten, for your help and support. It really helped me to hang in there as long as I could. At least the hat is almost done. Only one out of 6 leaves left to do. I had to redo 4 out 6 because they were so bad. The good news is all 5 of the ones finished are professional. Nothing I will be ashamed to send out into the world with my name on it.

SquarePeg, I think the brain shift will help. The last leaf I finished went as slow as the others but I didn't need to redo any of it and it turned out well. I just can't proceed right now.

Thanks again, folks.

What I have been doing every day is a tiny bit of work on the designs for the book. I'm still pleased with the progress and what I've come up with. I'm continually surprised at how this book is progressing -- even, steady, good speed, good ideas, good designs, etc. I haven't done any swatching but now that I'm not working on the hat and scarf I might be up to working on them. They're just for me -- not something I have to send to someone paying me to do them. It could be enjoyable to knit and embroider at my own speed on new designs instead of one that I created 25 years ago. And if I'm not up to doing them, it doesn't matter. No pressure now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:09 am

I'm glad you're working on something that's fun.

And you learned what you DON'T want to do; that's important information.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:16 pm

This sounds like a good revelation. Putting production aside to concentrate on design must feel so liberating!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:12 pm

I took the month of October off. As of November 1st, I'm going back to work with the designing.

Tonight I got out my binder for the baby blanket book. I eliminated one chapter. A lot of people don't like editing, but I do. It's like weeding a garden; you pull out the plants you don't want, and water the plants you do want.

The book originally had 5 chapters. Four of the chapters have been growing themselves well. They flow organically into each other. The other one didn't go with the flow so I chucked it.

One advantage of cutting a chapter is I only have 24 designs to do instead of 30. Less work!

It felt good to get back to working on the book tonight. On Monday I will start officially working again both on the book and the hat and scarf project.

Time to start fresh.

P.S. The designs in this book are inspired by nature. I just noticed all the references to nature I made above -- "weeding a garden"..."watering plants"... "growing themselves"... "flowing organically"... "starting fresh"... I think that's a good sign. I'm tuning into the project again!
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:01 pm

I hope this works well for you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories