Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Lyndon wrote:Speaking of knitting and recovering, the song WE ROGUES OF WOOL usually is good at cheering me up.

The author/cartonist said "I remember trying to describe this sequence to some friends “You see, the vulture is a pirate, singing a sea shanty, only it’s about knitting, and instead of being on a ship, they’re all riding sheep.

I mostly got raised eyebrows"

http://www.littledee.net/?p=3753

I LOVED THIS! HOW FUNNY! YES! ANYONE WHO IS A KNITTER KNOWS IT'S ABOUT KNITTING. Although I I wouldn't have gotten the fact that the vulture was a pirate and the sheep were supposed to be ships. I would have thought it was a funny song to sing, while knitting wool and riding sheep! Thanks for sharing it!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:38 pm

Now I have to go back and write down the lyrics so I can write a melody to it so I can sing it while I'm knitting!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 am

I think there's a link to the author singing this at http://www.littledee.net/?p=3781

I'm sure someone who thinks up knitting vultures riding sheep would be delighted to know of other creative melodies.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:46 am

Hey, I got a check in the mail for designing. It's $3.86. Yes, the decimal is in the right place. Three dollars and eighty-six cents.

DON'T LAUGH! It's the first check I've received for designing in twenty-something years. I feel like framing it!

I contacted a company I used to work for 20 years ago and asked if they owed me any royalties. They said they usually don't cut a check for less than 10 bucks but in this case they would do it if I wanted. Hell, yeah! I want the check! I got the check! I'm officially back in business again! Whoohoo!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Applause!
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:37 am

More Applause.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:56 am

Clapping, clapping, clapping...
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks for the applause!

After 3 months of working on the book idea here's what I've got so far:

The title, the number of chapters (5), the number of patterns per chapter (6-7). I like the title, I like the chapter titles, and I like the designs I've come up with so far. They don't number 32 yet but they will.

Whew! I'm glad that's over with. Now I can focus on the swatching. I think my hand is healed enough to start. I won't know until I try. I jabbed a knife into the web area between the thumb and index finger. The superficial wound is totally healed, but I must have hit a tendon. There's been a sore lump in there for awhile. We'll see how it goes.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:26 am

Inspire, it's fun reading about your project. You sound so happy. Good wishes to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Need some brainstorming help. Can anyone come up with something to substitute for the phrase "inspired by...."?

There are too many books in my field with that phrase so I'm trying to come up with something else. Thanks!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:13 am

Ignore the request for a "inspired by" line. I figured it out!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:23 am

Just an encouragement post. You've come such a long way. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks, Elaine. That's sweet of you! Even when things are going well, it's nice to have the extra support.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:44 pm

I could really use some help. I got the title of my book. I looked up every book with a similar concept (on Amazon -- 14 books). My is unique. Fit's in the category, but no one has done something exactly like it. This should be a good thing.

I got my titles for my 5 chapters. They sound great, look great, are good ideas, there's flow, etc. This should be a good thing.

Then I decided to do a mock-up of the book, so I printed out the Title and the Contents page and put them in a 3 ring binder so it looks like the first two pages of the book. This should be a good thing.

Instead, I feel panicky, nauseous, can't get my breath, scared, etc.

I think, "This thing could really be a book! It's going to take too long. I don't have the skills. I don't know what I'm doing. I'll never make it through the entire year it would take to put it together. I don't want to do it. I want to go do something else. NOW."

I keep thinking, Barbara talked about this in one of her books, maybe more than one of her books. What did she say about it? Does anyone know?

Why would someone hyper-ventilate and pace the living room if they know their book could come into being and be a good one?

I feel sick! Help!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 am

I have some ideas.

In Barbara Sher's version of stages of excitement, Stage one is intoxicating euphoria - you can do anything.
Then there's stage 2 - you crash. Everything's bad. Seth Godin (I probably misspelled his name.) would say to plow through it. Barbara Sher would say to eat ice cream. This stage will pass.
Stage three is not the high of stage 1 nor the low stage three. You're just a person doing her thing. And that's where most of the work gets done.

These ideas are from me:

You're doing creative work. Sometimes the ideas seem to want to percolate in the back of your head for a while before they come out where you can see them.

Everything is so easy when it's all in your daydreams. Actually doing the work is hard. And that's what you're doing. You're doing the hard stuff. Putting the ideas down, and dealing with "I don't know." Congratulations on having the nerve to step out of the daydreams and actually do the work. So many of us don't.

Feel free to rant and complain here.

A comment. You said you liked my work and couldn't understand why I said it was so terrible. It really was terrible - back then. It got better. Sometimes I have to tell myself that - over and over.

I hope you keep going, because it sounds like a fun project from what I've read.

Whatever you decide, we're with you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories