Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:45 pm

Awesome, IS!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 pm

I posted this in the Gratitude Thread and thought I'd copy it here, too.

"I'm grateful that I'm designing again. It's such a pleasure to start my day reviewing what I did the day before. It's always refreshing to see what further insight my dreams bring me each night. I rush out first thing in the morning to look at what I've done and see what changes my dreams suggested to me".

"It's soothing and meditative, exciting and rewarding. I never thought I would ever design again. Life brings such interesting twists and turns".

Anyone out there who is reading this thread and has an old dream you put up on a shelf years ago, please consider taking it out, dusting it off, and sharing it with us here. I've discovered so much by designing again and have received so much support and encouragement here. I guarantee you, if you start your dream thread, we will support you, too.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47 pm

I posted this in the Celebrating Success thread but I copied it for here:

Today I'm celebrating the fact that I did four solid hours of designing. After 25 years of not doing this work, I thought it was over. Now here I am putting in 4 straight hours and really being pleased with what I got done.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:15 am

:D
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:13 am

I ordered an LED swing arm lamp to help with better lighting for my work. It will arrive in 5 days. I hope it helps.

In the meantime, I plan on starting the hat/scarf project again on Monday. I hope it goes easier than in the past! I'd love to have it done by the end of November.

The baby blanket book is progressing well. I'm now swatching. Some designs are progressing well. Others need to have changes made. This is typical of this type of work. No rush. It feels like I'm "working" again. I've put in 4 hours a day for a few days on the book. I'm happy with where I'm at with the book project.

The truth is, I'm kind of scared to get back to the hat/scarf project after all the stress it caused me. I'll find out on Monday if taking time off helped.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Wishing you good things. I hope you don't stress.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I ordered a LED magnifying lamp. I don't need it for regular knitting, but when I do embroidery and quilting it will help a great deal. It will arrive in 10 days.

Today I'm getting the hat/scarf out and at least take a look at it. I might attempt some of the embroidery. I'm approaching it very slowly because obviously when I worked on it before I drove myself bonkers because of the deadline and the fact that it wasn't turning out well. Maybe with the pressure of the deadline gone, I won't feel so pressured and can work really slowly and carefully.

Wish me luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:01 pm

I haven't started the hat/scarf yet. I did receive my LED swing arm lamp today. Haven't opened it yet. I'm experimenting with the magnifying lamp that I received yesterday.

YOWZA! The magnifier lamp is definitely going to help prevent eye strain with all the knitting I'm doing for the book. I didn't think I needed it for that, but it's going to be great. I haven't tried it yet for embroidery. I think if I could pull the thread up to the side, it might work okay. I will have to try it. I'm going to go set up the regular swing arm lamp now to see if the lighting helps.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Wow! The magnifier lamp I bought is perfect! I'm so pleased. I did a great job of research and made the right choice.

I'm glad I got the 5" lens instead of 3". 3" would have been to small. The 5 diopter is a perfect magnification. At first when I tried it for embroidery I was bumping into it when I pulled up the thread. But because the lamp is so easy to adjust and bend into any angle you need, I discovered I could have the lens vertical, still have it magnify just fine, and have plenty of room to pull the thread directly up. Also, I'm so glad I got one with a dimmable light. The brightest is good if I want a quick view of something, but too bright for all the time. The dimmer level is what I need for long term work. There are 6 adjustments -- so much range!

AND... it's supposed to help prevent eye strain and I can tell already it does. I knit for about 10 minutes, looked up into the distance out the window, and instead of having it be blurry, my eyes were clear. It's going to make a huge difference with all the close up work I do.

It's one of those items that you "get what you pay for". For $90 I got a lamp that suits my needs perfectly, will last a long time, will help me work better and therefore make the money to pay for the lamp.

OptiLumix – Ultra Bright Dimmable 60 SMD LED Magnifying Lamp – 5 Diopter 5” Lens – Adjustable Single Arm
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:02 pm

My goal is to work 4 hours per day 3 days per week -- 12 hours a week.

Yesterday, I did the boring tasks that aren't fun but need to be done. I'm sorting through all the books I have, photocopying stitches and then testing which directions work best. I have a commitment to making my instructions as user friendly as possible. There are many traditional stitches that are listed as the same stitches, but all have different instructions. For instance, once I collect all the bobble stitch patterns, I photocopy them and put them in a 3 ring binder. I will make a swatch with all the different bobbles. So far, I've found 14 (yes, fourteen!) different bobbles and I still haven't gone through all my books.

It's tedious, but the end result is I will have the simplest, easiest bobbles and the clearest instructions for each one. They will all be gathered together in one binder, for easy access in the future.

Drudge work. It's not all fun, folks! A large portion of being a designer is not designing. It's just plain old fashioned work.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Your readers will be so glad you did this! Also, I was thinking that the content of your post could be included in the book's foreword with some rearranging of words and such.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:15 am

I'm working on two business related aspects of designing that I will be doing for the book. The first is checking into charities that involve people knitting things for the needy. I want them to be listed in my book and on my future website. I possibly want to choose one, and donate a percentage of my sales of the book to a charity. Also, I will have 24 finished sample baby blankets for the book. I'd like to donate them to a charity as well. Of course, I'd mention which charity I donated them to in the book, so maybe others would donate blankets to that charity.

The second is affiliate marketing and whether I want any of that on my website. Have you ever wondered why there are so many strange photos on different websites -- things like a 95 year old woman's "makeover", the giant pig standing next to a human to show it's size, etc.? It's affiliate marketing. It means that if you click on the image, go to that person's website, and buy something there, the person's website you saw it on originally, earns a percentage of the sale.

I'm looking into it, to see if there is anything I want on my website. I don't want to send people to yarn stores where they offer free patterns since I'll be trying to sell my patterns. I'm considering craft stores like Michael's or Joanne's who offer yarn and possibly free patterns but people might go there for lots of other items. I'm thinking of websites with related crafts like a quilting website. Since my website will be selling knitting patterns I'm trying to think of what websites my readers would be interested in going to after they see my website.

Since all my patterns are going to be for baby blankets it might be okay to send them to yarn places because most of the free patterns are for other items like scarves and potholders and small items. They'd be seeing baby blankets on my website and seeing free patterns of other items on other websites.

Not all stores offer affiliate marketing so at some point I'd have a list and then email them to ask about marketing for them.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:23 am

This next idea isn't business oriented but knitting related.

I found one charity that makes blankets for charity. I know there are knitting groups at senior centers. I'm thinking if I can get yarn donations, I could get the knitters to knit squares and then as the designer I would organize the squares in nice patterns and sew the squares together myself.

I would write 3 or 4 different patterns for the squares and people could choose which ones they'd like to do depending on their skill level. They could choose their colors and when I assemble the blanket I would make sure the colors and textures look good. If someone's square doesn't fit in design-wise I would set it aside for another blanket that would have a good match.

This project would be fun for the knitters, fun for me as a designer, and good for the charity.

There are 3 senior centers in my area. Part of the challenge would be yarn donations. I gave a huge amount of my own yarn to the senior centers about a year ago, so all of my yarn is gone. If anyone has suggestions for where I could get the yarn donations, I'm open to hearing it. Yarn stores no longer have bulletin boards. These days, everything seems to be done online.

This project would be a future project because I have a lot going on right now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 am

I'm surprised at how many views this topic has gotten. I bet part of the attraction are the words ...after a 25 year break!

If you have a dream that's been put on the shelf and you'd like to get back to it, but you're saying, "I want to do this BUT...and then you have a huge, long list of reasons why you can't do it -- start a thread in the Wishes and Obstacles forum and we will help you get ideas for how to get around the obstacles.

If you have an idea and are excited about it, but don't know where to start, go to the Idea Parties section of the boards and start a thread there so we can have fun brainstorming with you.

If you have a project but you need lots of information about research, websites, etc. go to the Needs and Links forum and start a thread there. Someone here might have the answers to your questions.

If you need accountability, join the Steppers thread on Success Stories. The title of the thread always starts with the month/year. For instance, right now, it's November 2016 Daily Stepping. People post their daily/weekly/monthly goals and we support each other in accomplishing them.

I'm so pleased that people are enjoying this thread. I would love to support you in your own dreams. I hope you will get the courage to start your own thread so I and everyone else here can help you and cheer you on. Remember, Barbara Sher says we can all achieve our dreams with two things -- ACTION and PEOPLE TO SUPPORT YOU.

Inspire Success
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:47 pm

I would think any house of worship would allow you to place a bin in a reception area for donations of yarn. Then again, they might also have a group of needlecrafters who knit for the needy as does our local Lutheran church.

Once you create a blanket from squares, it would be good to take a picture to let your donators know what the end result looked like.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories