Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Okay. Here's the goal. DO SOMETHING TONIGHT. ANYTHING. 5 minutes. 1 minute. Get the yarn out and look at it.

PLEASE --- SOMEONE HOLD ME TO DOING 10 MINUTES TONIGHT. HELP!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:21 pm

How can I help you do this? Can you send me a message or reply here to let me know what you did with your ten minutes?
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:59 pm

THANK YOU! YES. When I get my 10 minutes done, I'll post here. It's 5:00 now. I'm hoping by 7:00 I'll get going with this.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:13 pm

It's 7:15. I'm going to do this. All I have to do is 10 minutes. I'm going to get started.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Wonderful! How did it go? What did you do?
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:48 pm

Thank you so much! I would have procrastinated another day, but knowing you were going to check in with me motivated me to get going.

For me, getting started on things tends to be really hard. Once I get started, I'm fine.

I'm doing the scarf first. It took me 4 tries to get the right gauge. I haven't crocheted in 25 years! Plus, the yarn I'm using is black and it's hard to see the stitches. My lighting is not the best. I think I'll need to buy one of those "swing" lamps to have light directly on my stitches.

I just stopped working -- 8:40!!!!!! The gauge is correct, I got 2inches done, and I love the yarn I chose. I've never used it before. It's 100% Peruvian Highland Wool. It feels really "buttery", which is lovely. Some wool can be scratchy.

So, FINALLY, I've begun this project! The rest of the scarf is just worked the same so it should be a lot easier. It will measure 48" and I've done 2" tonight. It doesn't sound like much but the rest will go fine. I might be able to finish the crochet part of the scarf tomorrow.

The project has 3 stages -- the first is crocheting the scarf and hat, 2nd is sewing the hat together, the 3rd is adding embroidery to both.

I want it to be finished and in the mail before September 1st. That's my new deadline.

Jennifer -- YOU'RE AN ANGEL! Thanks again.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:05 am

Ohhh it sounds lovely. I love scarves, and it is almost that season!

It sounds like you made some significant progress! Great job! Do you have a website where you post pictures of your creations? I would love to see it when you finish.

Will you work more today?
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Glad you got started!

It sounds like you need "ProNagger" which, I think, is an actual service started by one of the members of this board.

I've not used it, here it is for next time: http://pronagger.com/welcome-gate

I recall trying a nagging service for free once.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:24 pm

I did have one session with Rachel, the Pronagger. I can't afford her, but she was offering a discount so I took advantage of it. I highly recommend her for anyone who wants an amazing online coach. She spotted my problem immediately and got me going again. She does sometimes offer free sessions and discounted sessions. I'm on her email list and when she offered a free session I didn't take advantage of it because she helped me so much during the one session I didn't need another session. That's how good she is!

She does have a free thing where people "bookmark" what they're doing. 10 minute each time.They log in, say what they're going to do, then log in again and say they got it done.

It doesn't work for me because I just keep putting off doing the 10 minutes! I've never been able to talk myself into trying it. I need to have someone check in with me personally, like Jennifer did. That's what works best for me.

Inspire

P.S. Barbara Sher uses the Pronagger and highly recommends her. That's how I found out about her.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:45 pm

You mean people get paid to nag other people? Maybe I should start charging my husband... :lol:

Inspire, will you work tonight? :wink:
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm working right now! 12:47 p.m. Thanks for checking in.

I bet your husband owes you big time for all that nagging! But then he probably nags you too, so you're even! For some reason, when women do it, it's called nagging. When men do it, they call it "being right"! (I'm probably going to get in trouble with some of the posters here for that one!)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Ha! Funny how that works, right?

Well, you are on top of it! That is great! I am excited to hear about your progress. I'll check back later.
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Oh, here is the free chat service on the same website:
http://pronagger.com/bookending-chat/
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:24 am

More encouraging thoughts to you.

I hope your resistance quiets down while you're doing the crocheting. It tends to show up more when you're trying to figure something out rather than when you're adding one stitch after another and you don't really have to think much. Which is the fun of crocheting and knitting, that soothing feeling of the yarn and needles.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:35 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:Which is the fun of crocheting and knitting, that soothing feeling of the yarn and needles.

Hi Elaine,

I'm glad you're back again after your break.

The quote above only refers to people who get to use my designs for their own fun and enjoyment. Professional designers producing something under deadline, it's not fun at all. That's why I used to pay people to produce the samples.

One of the things I enjoy as a designer is knowing that my customers are enjoying what you mention above. I serve their needs. I give them a pattern that they can work from and enjoy as a hobby. They can take as much time as they want, go at the speed they want. They can take a year to make one project if they want to.

I took this project on, thinking it wouldn't take me much time. It's been 25 years so my time estimates are way off. Plus, after not working for so long, my speed is really slow.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. I am working on it daily.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories