Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Designing again: after a 25 year break!

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 pm

6:15 pm. Done for the day. Both the scarf and the side of the hat are done. How funny -- I just added up my hours today -- exactly 4 hours!

I'm taking tomorrow off. I have full days available Wed-Sat. I never do more than 4 hours per day on this stuff. My neck, back, and shoulders are complaining even after taking some pain meds about 1-2 hours ago.

Elaine, I'll check on Steppin Thread and Kansas thread to see how you did by the end of today. Please post your results there.

I will be starting the Sept Steppin thread and will join again to do my steps for art and music. The steppers thread is about steps and is shared by as many people who want to join. I started this thread because it's so much more than steps. I wanted to keep it separate from other people's steps and goals. That's why I get touchy about sidetracking from what I'm focusing on here.

We're only 1 day away from September, so I'll be stepping again with all of you there. And continuing my designing here.

Nighty night, everyone. Elaine and Jennifer -- thanks for holding me to my bookmarking today. I definitely wouldn't have pushed myself this hard without knowing that someone was going to check up on me!

Inspire

P.S. Obviously, I will not make my goal of finishing this project by Sept. 1st. Sigh.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:52 pm

I wasn't expecting to work today but I put in 1 hour 25 minutes and got the top of the hat done. Tomorrow I'll start the embroidery. I have no idea how long it will take. My ability to estimate time is way off after so long.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Great progress, Inspire!
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:13 pm

Not such good progress today. In fact, none so far. It's a beautiful autumn day, with a gentle breeze blowing in through the window, sunny and mild. I've discovered a new mystery author and I'm only half-way through the book and on my way to reading the day away.

2:00pm. I keep trying to talk myself into getting started, but you know how I am about getting started! I'm sure, as usual, I would do well if I could just get going. But nothing I do motivates me. With the black yarn, I have to make best use of the natural light since my indoor lighting is so bad. But who can work on a beautiful day like this?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Oh, now I'm feeling guilty. I guess I'll start and just work for 10-20 minutes at a time and read in between. I get so sick of myself when I do this resistance nonsense. It sucks up my time I could be doing something better.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:13 pm

This is hopeless. I was ready to do the embroidery and I accidentally snipped a hole in the hat. I'm going to have to unravel the damn thing and crochet it again. I just can't handle this.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm trying not to panic........if I were knitting I'd know what to do -- unravel, pick up, knit. Evidently crochet only unravels in one direction. If that's true I'll have to crochet the entire hat again. I wish I had chocolate!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:34 pm

Does anyone know how to crochet? Is there any way I can salvage this if it were crocheted in the other direction? I can't figure out how to do it. It's just not working.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:21 pm

Oh no! That is so frustrating.

I know how to crochet, but I am the beginner-est of beginners. So, I am not sure how to answer your question. I am sorry. :(
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 am

I'm so sorry, Inspire. do you have any crocheting friends? I've crocheted a couple of times in my life but never completed a project. Here's my two cents. Is there a way to unravel a couple of stitches on either end of the hole. Then, then tie on a new piece of yarn to the "beginning" end of the hole. crochet to replace the stitches you unraveled, and then tie it to the "end" side of the hole. Or have you already unraveled it all and started over? Anyway, I'm really sorry about the accidental snip.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 am

I didn't know how to do it so I started over. I'm about 2 inches from the end. Then I'll start the embroidery. It's a new day. Maybe it will a better day for the project.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 am

Two inches from the end doesn't sound too bad. Good wishes.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:11 pm

5 hours. I can't do any more today. The crochet side of the hat is done. I had to do the whole thing over because I couldn't figure out how to pick up and work it past the hole I made.

I've been trying to start the embroidery, but like everything else, I don't remember how to do it. There are 10 leaves. I didn't even get one done. That was my goal but I just can't do anymore. There are 4 different stitches and I don't remember any of them. Plus, the diagrams are done for a right-handed person and I'm left-handed. I had to do half of them right handed because I just couldn't figure it out. I'm ssoooooooooooooo tireeeeeeeeeeeed.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Five hours is great. I am sorry you had to start over.

My daughter is a leftie, too. I never realized how many things are made more difficult by this. I hope it will go faster than you expect.

Keep up the good work!
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:01 pm

More encouraging vibes being sent your way.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories