July 2016 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: July 2016 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am

Hey, Lyndon,

re Nanowrimo,

I've done it many times now. Sometimes I've won, Sometimes not. But I've always written much more than I would have otherwise. Also, you can lower your goal anytime before they allow you to upload for a win.
Me - Writing is good. otherwise bad stuff.

We're at that age when people die, but it's all happening at once. My mother-in-law's sister passed away a month ago, and her second sister passed away on Monday. Tom's (my husband) cousin died on Tuesday. His best friend died a couple of weeks ago. He'll have to put his horses down soon. He's having chest pains and can't deal with lifting the hay bales. These horses are rescues, brood mares from the equine equivalent of a puppy mill. They're not broken, so no one else will want them. That's why Tom took them. he rescued them because no one else would. His brother died last year. No, I can't lift the hay bales. There's probably more, but i can't remember it all.

The writing is my bright spot.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi

Elaine, I feel weighty with the word of your losses. All the more reminder to love every moment and still be prepared for changes.

Suddenly, "journalism" has crept into view as an income options. Limited of course, I don't have a rep like Hunter Thompson or Norman Mailer. Talking to an editor today and mentioned, rather reminded, a friend I write and she's pitching a story idea to her editor, also today. Forwarded a notice about a conference and asked if I would think about covering it.

No word that the library has found that missing book. So I'm on the hook for the replacement, natch. I looked up the book, fairly cheap on ebay. Just luck, as some books I check out are very rare.

The way forward and out is to wait out the 'search period' like I can believe they even care to bother, negotiate the replacement issues, etc.

I'm going to limit my use of the drop boxes, maybe even take a day or two fine if I must from here on. When I drop books off they enter it and offer to send an email receipt ... a digital trail and "proof." Up until this episode I usually passed on getting the receipt. No mas.

I hate it because I know I returned the book, but I have no proof. It could well have been fished out as a prank over the long weekend (and nights) it sat there before the library staff retrieved the books. OK, enough with this.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Elaine,

My heart goes out to you. I have had similar experiences in my life and I remember saying, "Please God, could you just space this out a little? I know I have to deal with it, but does it have to be all at once"? Know that I am praying for you.

It is so kind of Tom to adopt the horses. At least, they experienced love at the end of their life and will have a humane transition. That means so much.

Lynx, maybe your library doesn't have this, but mine does. Whenever I return something I get the option of having a receipt. I always take it. At least the email thing at your library is an option.

Congrats on the "journalism as an income option" and the things that are in the works. May I have your permission to start a Success Stories thread about this? If you don't feel comfortable, I won't do it. We could cheer for you in a separate thread just about that one item.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers.

Tom is an animal rescuer. The horses had about five good years with Tom. I go nuts with all the animals Tom rescues; thanks, Inspire, for reminding me what a good thing it is. - seven cats, two birds, one skunk, one dogs, turkey eggs (yuck, turkeys poop a LOT). The chickens weren't rescues, nor were the other turkeys, nor the goats.

Lynx, sorry about the stupid library and the stupid book, but the journalism possibility rocks!

okay, on to steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Inspired and Elaine and everyone else,

I'm done with dropping books off in the bins. Yes, for a live drop off I can get a receipt (which I do every time now) but the bins are just that, empty boxes where you can drop off the books. I can foresee a time when I'll have to accept a day or two of fines. So it goes but I'm not going through this again. The last time they lost a book it popped up on the shelves in a day or two. No such luck this time.

St. Anthony must be on vacation.

When their staff person wrote he said I could appeal but I don't see how I have a case with no receipt. So I stepped up to the desk for my "sentence." I hate being innocent and still having to pay.

Looks like I might be able to avoid the $150 fee and pay just $15 processing fee plus cost of the book if I can either (1) find the exact edition in very good condition with no marks, bent pages, etc or (2) I get a pass to replace this with a paperback edition in good condition. I wouldn't have to have to get it hardbound. Immediately went to 3 used bookstores (this is a university district) and found the paperbacks in great condition. Still searching for the exact replacement while awaiting their ruling on paperbacks. Amazon has the one I need, but the robot can't tell me what condition it's in.

About a separate thread, I'd rather keep it all here. I'm following the quote thread, but with some pick-up work I'm doing and the pressures to write to deadlines I'm not much good at staying abreast of things.

I'll be out of town for a week so someone will need to begin the August thread. I'm back 8/2.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Clearly university libraries are stricter than public libraries. When Astro chewed up a library book, they asked me for $13. Good luck, Lynx.

Me - We had health issues, but I think everything's okay now. So I get to concentrate on writing. I'll start August. kAnd I'd like to write success stories, Inspire. I'm scared I'll leave something out or leave someone out, but I'll try. But I want to get some other things done first.

Good steps to everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 am

More problems at home. Yuck.

I only have 2000 words to go for Nanowrimo. And I just feel sloggy. If I can get into the spirit of writing,I'll finish today.

Happy stepping.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 am

"Time is what keeps everything from happening at once" -- but sometimes time seems broken down on the funeral front.

For months before and after my father died, my subconscious insisted and putting in Taps as background music is he made a cameo in a dream. And sometimes in dreams he didn’t appear in at all. This was tiring. But after a while, when he shows up it’s with “a twinkle in his beard” of amusement, and much more the cheering effect on the scene that he’d have preferred.

Took a while though.

Writing has been going well, except for complications like a 35,000 acre wildfire on the far end of the county. "Ominous bur picturesque" the paper says. It's no danger to us, except for annoying my allergies.

Surprisingly time consuming is when an OCD apartmentmate decided to vacuum the apartment. He's been a true friend in need. But (this would have been a less fraught paragraph without a "but"), he has his rituals. The dance of the furniture ended up taking over the weekend. (Parenthetically he has some awareness and humor about this, and he was delighted with the microjoke "I'm CDO -- that's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with the letters alphabetized AS THEY OUGHT TO BE!")

My average daily speed has been going up. 600 words per day average for month, but up to 1500/day this week. If I had started out at this rate, I'd be on the home stretch. As it is, I'm finishing the month better than I started it.

Most of my best writing (and programming and map-drawing) for last third of a century has been when I could do multi-hour dives. I don't yet have the focus to get back to that in current environment, but I've become much better at doing short bursts -- and doing them so they will yield a piece that can connect with other pieces going forward.

I'm way behind in the LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE book club, but should catch up. Peeking ahead I see a chapter on "Gather your allies" which I seem to have been working on independently.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:18 am

Hi,

sounds as if you had fun with Nanowrimo. I did too. Really enjoyed it, and got a ton more written than I ever would have done on my own. PLus one of my cabin mates was an overachiever.

Inspire, I like your idea about posting success. Sometimes when everything feels sloggy, it's helpful to remember the things that we did accomplish, and especially how much work it took to get there. (or sometimes how easy it was once we got over the "I can't do this" mopes.)

Hope everyone has a good August.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:36 am

Camp Nanowrimo – end of July update – I win!

A writing project goal was 50,000 words. I got 25,545 words by late July 31st, which equals 51% of that goal – so I can say “I met the majority of my goal!”

My words per day (wpd) speed increased each week, from an atrophied writing speed of 277 wpd the first week (that had a 5 word and a 50 word day) to 1241 wpd the fourth week. I didn’t find 4 times as many hours in the day, nor did I suddenly start typing 400% faster. I got better at hanging on to especially quarter hour and half hour bits and pieces of the day.

Feel like I haven’t hit my peak yet. More data needed!

I also met the goal of getting back in touch with various online friends, and starting the preparation for some good games together (for a certain intercontinental value of “together.”)

And I had fun, and made new friends. Continuing chit chat with them on Goodreads.

To be continued with that.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:15 pm

I'm so glad for all the good things. Congrats on winning.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories