July 2016 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

July 2016 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 am

July already. Commit to accomplishing some steps every day towards your goal. We'll encourage you along the way.

"It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel (thanks, Lynx)

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't." -Richard Bach writer (thanks, Inspire)

And some quotes from Molly:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A gopher in the mouth . . . and your human will try to take it away from you.
Stop and smell the hydrants.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: July 2016 Daily Steppin'

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Elaine,

I love Molly's quotes! Tell her to go see my Quotes for the Day thread. There are several just for her.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Molly’s quotes are inspiring!

Already up to over 1/10th of 1% of my months goals. Expect to accelerate today, when I’m neither asleep or at work.

As long as I’m doing something daily for Camp Nanowrimo and the LIVE THE YOU LOVE, the 8-minute writing sprints will be taken care of. But they will be on standby if I have any off days.

Extended weekend includes librarying with my best friend. We have a study room reserved for 2 hours in the middle, to spread out books and craft supplies without needing a discussion with cats on whether these are cat toys.

Some more fun archeology and file compression in storage.

And a 4th of July Seder with old friends.

Since I’m concerned that the quotes of the day will be interesting and that I’ll keep on reading “just one more”, I’m going to put that off until after a bunch of writing.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Thank you for the quotes, Inspire. As a canine-American, I enjoy topics that deal with us dogs. I particularly enjoyed the one about learning foreign languages, as I am conversant in gopher, SQRL, and cat, and of course dog. I have tried to learn human, but it's a very limited language, as it doesn't make use of tails, paws, or licking.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Hello,

Thanks IS for the quotes thread and the chit-chat about shoes. I think one of the failings of institutional religion is the "judgment" thing among celebrants. I remember this same feeling in a family when my mom would spruce us up if we were to meet our grand parents. I felt, what's the important part there, ME, or the cleanliness. The ME was shoved back, of course. When are we relaxed and ourselves with each other.

There's a great novel, Shoes of the Fishmerman, and I'll see if Goodreads has any quotes worth reposting. Well not from SotF but another work:
“Each of us can walk only the path he sees at his own feet. Each of us is subject to the consequences of his own belief.”
― Morris L. West, The Devil's Advocate https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes ... ris_L_West

Lots of things, no set schedule through Monday. Coleman Barks, "One appointment can ruin a day." Said to someone he had an appointment with for an interview.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:45 am

It's so easy to be wonderful in your head, and so hard to actually do the work. I'm going for the whole 50,000 words in Nanowrimo. Most of what I'm doing is editing work that is fairly far along. So I figured it would be easy. Hah! 1666 words per day mount up really fast, and I'm behind, of course. But I'm having fun. The six thousand words I've completed might be the final edit. :D

Okay, back to work. OH, I'll post some of it on the writers' thread.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5-DIY planner production

Postby Lynx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:18 am

Hi y'all,

Made great headway on a small project I give myself every year. For a long time I used to make my own day timer to use in one of those Franklin-Covey six-hole binders. Then for a few years I used a commercial product, but didn't like how it arranged the page. Then I switched for a year to Plum Planner which has some customization features and is sold on Etsy. Last year while trying to get in touch with the company to discuss details the whole thing became too frustrating, so I went back to my own using ideas picked up from other planners.

I actually like DIY planners because it's 100% the way I want it. What I've landed on is a full-year with an annual at a glance on a 2-page spread, a single page at a glance for 2018, a monthly calendar and one week per page wide or landscape printed with frequently called names and addresses in the back. And a few blank pages for notes.

I also add my biorhythms to each day. The hard part was getting the spreadsheet programmed (first in Clarisworks-Appleworks, then in MSFT Excel after my Mac could no longer run appleworks). Then it's a process of printing out the pages and taking the set to the office supply store for spiral binding. For 2016 I went with a paper cover, but for 2017 and beyond I'll go with at least one cover in plastic so I can use it as a coaster should the need arise.

Not sure how Long I had to sit with the computer printing out the pages I wanted, but at the finish it's something I made the way I want it. Some type of satisfaction in that. Like cooking.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 am

Lynx: Yay do it yourself! Happy cooking up the planner book that works for you.

Slow, often frustrating weekend. I had occasion to recall the words, "I can't brain today."
Saturday I had a sleepathon, didn't stay awake long enough to make breakfast until 5:13 PM. (I saw a clock, numbers often stick.)
Sunday I was up to so-so, Monday I re-crashed and missed a Fourth of July seder some reform Jewish science fiction fan friends were hosting.
Tuesday I got to work, still very tired. Fortunately I don't snore.

I'm almost up to peppy now. Need to do a blizzard of coding at work and be very wordative on my project.
So far I'm managing to be easily distracted. Curious is better than blah.

Ah! And I managed to fix an engineer's computer problem, getting from first polite call, to "This is great! I can take it from here." in about 15 minutes. (Didn't watch the clock this time though.)

Now to see if lunch time is a nice writing frenzy or a nap.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I am in awe of people who can fix computer problems.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 5-DIY planner production

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:48 pm

Lynx wrote:Hi y'all,

Made great headway on a small project I give myself every year.

Lynx

I Iove it that you call this "a small project!"

I'm doing something similar with my design stuff -- organizing, labeling, photocopying, decision making. It seems to me like a BIG OLE HONKIN' GINORMOUS pain in the fanny! It's true that it will be very useful for me once it's done. But the doing of it makes me bonkers. Glad you're pleased with your end results. I hope I will be with mine, too. But I got burnt out and stuck in a corner out of sight.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:12 am

Livelying up myself, and got another 1% of my not-quite-ginormous project done, and a reasonable amount of sleep.

I don't live for the weekend, as I don't make a habit of being miserable 5 days out of 7, but I am especially looking forward to this weekend.
Some things to do, but the most tightly timed errands (on the way to a library) to pick up some packages of swell stuff from Diane at the UPS store for Diane, sometime between 9 a.m. and 5 P.m.
This does not feel like racing the clock.

A couple years ago, the landlords put up a "security fence" along the front of the apartments. Wood, looks nice, is 5 feet high, and doesn't have an intercom.
It is good at keeping apartment dogs in when playing on the yard, and UPS and other delivery people out.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Howdy,

I'm a bit on edge as i returned a book to my local univ library Sunday and they've lost track of it and it's not been scanned as returned. Of course they all seem to imply that I still have it and need to look around more, because they have these fancy systems in place, etc. Yeah, well, this happened to me before and I found the book at last—reshelved! I've been checking almost daily and sneaking a peak at the reshelf carts, but, natch, no book.

Nothing about this through the weekend, then we take it up next week again. Whose the patron of lost thing? St Anthony? May he intercede and make the book appear again.

O blessed St. Anthony,
the grace of God has made you a powerful advocate
in all our needs and the patron
for the restoring of things lost or stolen.
I turn to you today with childlike love and deep confidence.
You have helped countless children of God
to find the things they have lost,
material things, and, more importantly,
the things of the spirit: faith, hope, and love.
I come to you with confidence;
help me in my present need.
I recommend what I have lost to your care,
in the hope that God will restore it to me,
if it is His holy Will.

Amen.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:25 pm

Lynx,

Wow! Thank you for sharing that prayer. I'm going to copy it into the Quotes for the Day.

I hope the book turns up soon.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:25 am

I like the prayer, Lynx. "things of the spirit, faith, hope and love." That's what resonates with me.

My writing is going well. It's because I'm editing work that are already far along, so I don't have to do a lot of creative thinking. It's just fixing things like, "this sentence is way too long." or "I've used the word also too many times." 33,000 words so far. (That's very good.)

In other aspects of my life, I'm slogging along. So many people in our lives are old and sick. I got a summons for jury duty. And I'm having a lot of trouble with sleep deprivation, which leaves me grouchy and dull during the day.

Happy steppin'.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Like the prayer, thank's Lynx.

"How goes the Great Work" a friend in the Australia Bureau of Statistics asked (via email.)

Well, the project of excavating and minimizing Mount Miscellaneous went well the weekend, exporting 3 or 4 cubic yards to trash or recycling (some though is laundry, which will return to haunt of Tuesday), and another cubic yard of neatening, compressing, folding and putting in it's place. Almost instantly a bigger room!

Writing though, not so much. But two good bursts today, and Nanowrimo's helpful computers calculate that at this rate I will finish by January 27, 2017.

To be continued.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories