Elaine, the writer!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Elaine, the writer!

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Go check out Searching for Kansas in the Becoming Writers and Speakers forum. I just read it and was immediately hooked on the story from the get-go! It's the first time I've read anything by Elaine and I'm really looking forward to reading more.

Toot, toot! I'm tooting your horn for you, Elaine! Because I know you'd never do it yourself!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Elaine, the writer!

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:44 am

Be sure to check out Elaine's "Iverson's Vision Quest," too! It's wonderful!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Whew! I just started reading the first chapter of Elaine's first novel, Temporary Address, on her website. Yikes! I'm claustrophobic! Tells you how good a writer she is that I got so panicky in response to the first two paragraphs, I had to take a break and try to breathe! I'm going to go back and read more when I stop stressing!

So far, I'm doing far better reading the beginning of the second novel.

Elaine, am I going to be stressed and claustrophobic through all of Temporary Address??? I don't know if I can make it through!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:29 pm

P.S. I had a really stressful day and when I get stressed, ANYTHING stresses me more. Maybe I'm overreacting.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:08 pm

No, but if you've also got PTSD, you might need help coping with the ending.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the warning. I do have PTSD and have trouble dealing with novels sometime because of it. I think I'll stick to reading the Kansas one. I'm really enjoying that one.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 am

Hi, Inspire,

I know what you mean. I do most of my reading before I go to bed, and the book has to be funny or romantic. If I read something really deep and scary, I can't sleep.

"Temporary Address" is pretty dark. It has a kind ending, and there are some good and decent characters. And there are parts that are happy. But as I was writing it, I was fascinated by the evil inside one of the characters. And the story that I had to tell is a dark story. That's why I wrote "The Molly Chronicles." I needed a break from the dark side.

"Searching for Kansas" has it's scary moments, but it's a much lighter book. There are more funny part and more romance. At least I hope it has more romance. A lot of that isn't written yet. Also it might turn into three novels or three novellas. Not to give anything away, but something scary is about to happen to Alex.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 am

Hi, Square Peg.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:58 am

A question. I try use "he said" "she said" only when I have to. And I try to use names sparingly and use pronouns when I can. Am I overdoing this? Would my writing be clearer if I used more names? Does the reader get confused as to who is speaking? Does the reader understand to whom the pronouns refer?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:02 am

SquarePeg wrote:No, but if you've also got PTSD, you might need help coping with the ending.

The very end is happy, the the part just before the end is claustrophobic and intense.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:A question. I try use "he said" "she said" only when I have to. And I try to use names sparingly and use pronouns when I can. Am I overdoing this? Would my writing be clearer if I used more names? Does the reader get confused as to who is speaking? Does the reader understand to whom the pronouns refer?
In general, in a dialog between two people, I think the "he said" "she said" can be omitted without any loss of clarity. I didn't notice these specific cases in your writing being overdone.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:A question. I try use "he said" "she said" only when I have to. And I try to use names sparingly and use pronouns when I can. Am I overdoing this? Would my writing be clearer if I used more names? Does the reader get confused as to who is speaking? Does the reader understand to whom the pronouns refer?

Lots of questions there. I hope these questions aren't in response to my question about the Alex his/her. If so, that sentence was the only one I was confused about.

What brought up all these questions? :?

P.S. Romance and humor are what I really need now in my life. It makes me even more excited about reading Kansas. All novels need ups and downs, darks and lights, tension and resolution. Otherwise, they'd be flat and boring. For me, if the whole novel is dark, I get sucked down into my own depression. As far as happy endings go, they don't help me -- with books or movies. By the time I get to the end, I'm so slogged down in my personal, mucky darkness, NOTHING can haul me out of it. Sometimes, it takes days to work my way to the surface again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:24 am

I asked the question because I wanted the information.

I can think that something is clear. It's clear in my head. But if there's something missing, it won't be clear for the reader. You won't believe how often this happens.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 pm

I thought it happens to all writers. There's this idea of writing something and then stuffing it away to forget about it. Then eventually read it again, hoping that it seems like someone else wrote it. The older I get, the less time is required for this process. :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Elaine,

In case you get discouraged, remember the quotes from the first graders. Here's the one for you:

Number 12 -- The pen is mightier than the pigs.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories