Celebrating Success!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Celebrating Success!

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:16 pm

I''m rereading the amazing book, Wishcraft: how to get what you really want.

Here's what Barbara Sher says in this book, about celebrating your successes.

"Hurray for Me! Don't ever let anyone tell you that there's anything wrong with self-congratulation. When you've done something hard, you deserve cheers, from yourself and everyone around you. When you've done something hard and it's worked, you deserve a banquet"!

"Pausing to savor your own accomplishments and feel proud of yourself isn't "conceited" or "self-Indulgent", the way our Puritan culture taught us it was. It's food for your unfolding self."

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
My Mom was always horrified when anyone said anything nice about themselves or others. She thought saying something nice about her children would make them "spoiled". She thought saying anything nice about herself would show she was "conceited". She thought saying anything nice about someone else to their face would make them get a "fat head". She thought saying anything nice about someone behind their back would make the person she was talking to, think it was okay to say something nice about someone.

How sad.

She must be turning over in her grave, when she hears me say anything nice -- about myself, about other people, about anyone. Even saying, "Good boy" to my dog! It might go to his head and spoil him!

I prefer Barbara Sher's view of celebrating our own successes and the successes of others. That's why I post my own successes here on the boards. That's why I encourage others to post their successes here. That's why I ask other people to let me post their successes here if they're too shy to do it themselves.

Let's follow Barbara's suggestions. LET'S CELEBRATE!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Celebrating Success!

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:53 am

Good point. Growing up, there always seemed to be reluctance in complimenting someone. So the first few times I actually did get complemented, I really had no idea how to react. I drew in my breath as if the person told G-d to F-off! It wasn't until I read in a book that the way to respond to a complement was to smile and simply thank the person that I could actually not act like an ass.

BTW, Inspire Success, at the risk of getting you off-kilter, I'd like you to know that you are a wonderful member of this message board, a beacon of goodness! Hope you're OK with that. ;)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:40 pm

SquarePeg wrote:
BTW, Inspire Success, at the risk of getting you off-kilter, I'd like you to know that you are a wonderful member of this message board, a beacon of goodness! Hope you're OK with that. ;)

Not only am I okay with it, it's especially nice to hear today. I'll post why sometime soon, probably in a different thread. I'm smiling :) and saying Thank you!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:49 pm

I just want to second Square Peg's comment. It's great to have you on the Boards, Inspire.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:04 pm

I brought this thread up again because I'm feeling really depressed today.

I know Barbara does not believe in positive affirmations. Usually, they don't work for me either, but I thought I'd try one today.

"I am a beacon of goodness, I am a beacon of goodness, I am a beacon of goodness."

It doesn't chase away the tears but it does help balance them out a little.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 pm

I hope you're feeling better. I think there's a place in the world for words of gratitude and affirmation. Just as you said - to balance the negative. You can overdo it, of course, Reality is real, and the bad feelings are real. But without denying the bad feelings, sometimes it helps to look at the other side, especially after a good rant.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:02 am

I thought I'd bring this thread up again in case anyone is feeling like celebrating some of their successes today.

I mailed in my ballot today. I think that's a success. We should all vote and celebrate the fact that we live in a country where we can vote. We can make a difference. We can express our views and have them heard through voting. Get out there and vote everyone! Make yourself heard. Contribute to this great country we live in.

Inspire Success

Have a great day! :D :D :D :D :D :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 pm

I'm glad you brought this thread back.

There's a line from an old movie - "He really needed to win one."

That's how I feel now. I really need to win one. I guess my big win is that I got the dog @%%# cleaned up before the rain.

:D :D :D :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:...my big win is that I got the dog @%%# cleaned up before the rain.

:lol: Way to go, Elaine!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:06 pm

I chipped away at laundry that has piled up for...so embarrassing...2 months. Pretty much everything I own! It's going to take many trips to the laundromat to get caught up, but it's a start.

I'm used to living in a house with my own washer/dryer. Now I'm in an apartment and I hate having to go to a laundromat and fold my undies in front of strangers. But having everything pile up isn't any better. Chipping away, chipping away, chipping away...
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Hey! I should be happy it's just dirty laundry. Not...dog poop!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:12 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Hey! I should be happy it's just dirty laundry. Not...dog poop!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do enjoy having my own washer and dryer, but I remember one advantage to the laundromat. When you let the laundry pile up (not that I would ever do something like that :lol: :lol: ) You can do five or six loads at once. I remember piling my daughter and my laundry into the car, driving down to the laundromat, loading my kid and laundry into one of those carts and rolling up and down the aisles filling up a line of washing machines with clothes, then going back and letting my daughter fill the coin slots with quarters. (It was a lot fewer quarters back then.) And I think we got ice cream or something while we waited for the clothes to wash and dry. But yes, I will put washer/dryer on my gratitude list.

Oh, I have one piece of success. A friend told a bookstore owner about "The Molly Chronicles," and he wanted to check it out.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Today I'm celebrating the fact that I did four solid hours of designing. After 25 years of not doing this work, I thought it was over. Now here I am putting in 4 straight hours and really being pleased with what I got done.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Four solid hours is impressive.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:34 pm