August 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:30 am

Hi ya'll

conference going farily well. recovered a fresh book, so onward from there.

just finished a great draft of my article to send to my editors. it's 1:30 am, I said by midnight, but I don't think anyone is waiting by the teletype for my text.

I'll sleep on it, read it over in the morning, and send it on its way. And wish it well.
http://mondaypoem.blogspot.com/2010/10/ ... llins.html

Envoy

Go, little book,
out of this house and into the world,

carriage made of paper rolling toward town
bearing a single passenger
beyond the reach of this jitter pen,
far from the desk and the nosy gooseneck lamp.

It is time to decamp,
put on a jacket and venture outside,
time to be regarded by other eyes,
bound to be held in foreign hands.

So, off you go, infants of the brain,
with a wave and some bits of fatherly advice:

stay out a late as you like,
don’t bother to call or write
and talk to as many strangers as you can.

by Billy Collins, from Ballistics, 2008
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: August 2016 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 am

I'm back.

Lynx, I hope the conference and the writing keep going well. And I hope they're fun as well as rewarding.

And I loved the poem. It's exactly how I feel about my writing.

Hey, Lyndon, and Inspire, I hope you're both still steppin' right along.

Me. It feels really good to be posting here again. Because of the fires, Tom and his mother had to spend a couple of nights at a friend's house. They came back to their house with power, but no water. Thursday, Mom fell down and couldn't get back up. Friday, she tried to get out of bed by herself and fell down again. She wants to stay at home, and we want to honor that wish, so now someone needs to be with her all the time. Night time is the tricky part - no surprise there. I'll skip the details, but she's up several times during the night, and someone has to forgo sleeping to make sure she's okay. The family is willing to help which is good, except, as with most families, there is some friction. Some of the friction is intense - again I'll skip the details. We're getting a hospital bed, which should help. A lot of this is a learning experience. We're figuring out what works and what doesn't. Monday we went to the doctors. He was unnerved when he saw four of us plus my mother in law enter his exam room. Plus he had eaten his lunch in the two minutes between his last patient and my mother in law. I saw his gnawing on a corn cob as fast as he could. Then grabbing a sandwich. And he had a meeting to attend right after my mother in law. And we had running water, but the water treatment plant was down, so we had to use bottled water (or boil our water.) And we rinsed all dishes in bottled water. Maybe overkill, but . . . Three cheers for paper plates and plastic utensils.

I'm back now. Having a lazy morning. I plan to get just a little writing done - just to get back in action. Again Molly's video will wait til we can get the team together. One of the members has similar issues - a very sick child.

Okay, time to walk a very patient dog.

Good stuff to all of you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Mother in law is doing way better.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:43 am

Hi Everyone,

Elaine, happy the MIL is recovering her health.

This is my "Steinbeck letter" to get myself warmed up for writing another article. Journalism is basically a process of reduction, which makes it ultimately tragic, according to the dramatic theory of Ayad Akhtar (Author of Disgraced) in his notes for his play "The Who & the What." He wrote:

"Whereas tragedies are stories of subtraction, comedies depict a process of addition. In a tragedy there are fewer characters at the end of the story than at the beginning. ... And even when death is not a literal end, the tragic sense speaks to us of life's inevitable loss.
"Comedy, as tragedy's opposite number, offer a depiction of life in the key of hope. This is why comedies so often end with marriage, a fulfillment that is more than a trope, an image of union and continuity, the archetypal precondition for the promise of new life."

I guess because so much is over simplified and left out.

To get to 1000 words—edited and submitted—first I need 3000 or more. Most will come from my notes and flash of ideas I began with yesterday, writing in pencil on the back of used paper. Really tentative and provisional.

The other innovation is I'll use my own reorg method. I find outlining modes in word processing programs wonky, and I actually only need a reordering arrangement, and not the I a. b. c. i. ii. iii. etc of a formal outline. So what I've learned to use is the sorting tool in the table format.

I dump ideas into a one column table, each ¶ in it's own cell. I then add a thin left column for tagging.

I now tag each paragraph so it can find its mates. Using a scheme where the smaller the number the closer it is to the top, I might code the introductory ideas with 100, and each of the various body ¶s will have its own three digits. So everything related to policing will have a 400 tag. These can be further organized, so that the first one I come across related to policing I'll tag 450, and as I come across more I can position it as before the first one, say with 440, or after, like with 460.

When I've coded all the ¶, I go to the the table tab—sort columns and sort the table by the first column in numerical ascending order.

Then the next fun begins. When I'm reasonably happy with the general order I delete the first column and then convert table back to text, and finish out from there.

Alright, first hour of work will be to set this up and fill it with my notes.

Wish me grace and ease,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Lynx, I wish you grace and ease.

Interesting, what you wrote about tragedy being a process of subtraction. Editing is mostly a process of deleting, and sometimes it's hard to delete - throw out the baby. But i think good writing is distilled writing - no extra verbiage. That's more important with nonfiction than fiction. And when you get a piece that just zings; it's clear and doesn't let the reader's mind drift, that's a happy feeling.

Again, I wish you grace and ease.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Lynx,

Grace and ease, coming your way.

I love the poem. It applies to my design project as well -- the sending out of any finished project, when it's finally out of our hands and into the hands of someone else.

I keep printing things and taping them to my wall to help me get through this project. I'm going to paste this one up, too.

Thanks.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi ya'll

OK, crush time and this is my warmup post to grease the fingers.

First off, I'm going to print out my notes: about 16 pages and close to 3000 words. Also, this AM as I rode my bike to work had a flash of how to organize it tighter which I wrote down at the first opportunity. Turned out that took a few minutes so I kept repeating the ideas in my mind so they would linger until I found time to attend to them.

Now, back to the process I discussed yesterday. I have just completed a nap and as soon as I find my red Jetstream pen I'm in business.

Here it is, set the time for an hour, GO!

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Lynx,

Ready, set, go. How did you do?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi IS,

I got about 800 words down fairly close to what I want. ±200 to go and too much to say. Stopped for the evening, sleeping, and seeing what my dream assistants have for me in the AM, if anything. I can probably manage if they wanted a day to romp, but I always like having them along.

Thanks for asking,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:40 am

Lynx,

I didn't know you use your dreams for inspiration. I've been doing dream journaling off and on most of my life. They are especially helpful with my creative work.

Everyone -- I started the September thread this month. I'm back on board!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories