August 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

August 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:30 am

Can't believe it's August already. Let's have fun with this month.

Commit to taking steps toward your goal. How many steps? That's up to you. Especially since life has a way of getting in the way of important things. I'll be back with some quotes.

Thanks for bringing this back, Inspire. I wanted something funny, and this hits the funny bone.

Barbara's books are all about seeing your life in a fresh and new way. I love the way these kids have updated the old proverbs that were drummed into me in grade school.

A 1st grade teacher had twenty-six students (6 year olds) in her class. She presented each child in her classroom the 1st half of a well-known proverb and asked them to come up with the remainder of the proverb. Here's what they came up with.

1. Don't change horses until they stop running.
2. Strike while the bug is close.
3. It's always darkest before Daylight Saving Time.
4. Never underestimate the power of termites.
5. You can lead a horse to water but How?
6. Don't bite the hand that looks dirty.
7. No news is impossible.
8. A miss is as good as a Mr.
9. You can't teach an old dog new Math.
10. If you lie down with dogs, you'll stink in the morning.
11. Love all, trust Me.
12.The pen is mightier than the pigs.
13. An idle mind is the best way to relax.
14. Where there's smoke there's pollution.
15. Happy the bride who gets all the presents.
16. A penny saved is not much.
17. Two's company, three's the Musketeers.
18. Don't put off till tomorrow What you put on to go to bed.
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and You have to blow your nose.
20.There are none so blind as Stevie Wonder.
21. Children should be seen and not spanked or grounded.
22. If at first you don't succeed get new batteries.
23. You get out of something only what you See in the picture on the box.
24. When the blind lead the blind get out of the way.
25. A bird in the hand is going to poop on you.
26. Better late than Pregnant.

Number 12 and Number 13 are my favorites. Which are your favorites?

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega

Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: August 2016 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:30 pm

Happy August, Everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi Steppers,

Elaine, thank you for posting the children's list in this forum and thanks for crediting me with originally posting it. I noticed the date when I joined the boards -- 2001! Wow! 15 years of posting here on the Boards.

People on the Boards have supported me through so many different goals and projects over the years and I'm so grateful.

I, on the other hand, have had the wonderful experience of listening, brainstorming, and supporting people who have come here to achieve their dreams, step by step, using Barbara Sher's books as inspiration.

What a journey it's been! I hope that even more people who visit here will have the courage to join us, going after their goals, knowing that we will help them in every possible way. Visitors, lurkers, occasional posters, newbies, please come and go after your dreams.

Let's celebrate Barbara Sher not by just reading her books, but by TAKING ACTION and GETTING SUPPORT to make our dreams come true.

Barbara Sher says the following in her first book, Wishcraft, "A talent or interest is a living part of you -- like a hand or an ear or an eye. It needs to be used, it needs to be fed, or it will atrophy -- and you'll be less than you're meant to be."

Join this Steppers Thread and one step at a time, let us help you make your dreams come true.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:03 pm

I didn't work out a series of daily goals for August -- but I've kept up with July writing pretty well.

Setting up a forum for a future game. At the moment several of us are brainstorming what we'd like in next game(s), and making up and finding holes in rules. Fun!

Evening appointment, but I'll work on seeing what my August direction looks best, and the daily step towards it.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for this repost and tribute Elaine and Inspired. Fav: 26. Better late than Pregnant.

First grade (six years old)? Where does that come from: Mom, older siblings? What's going on in their house?

Travel then work right away the early part of the week (a good thing, can always use cash).

Goals for this month:

get thru scoring the grants submitted for project I'm part of. Have till 9/14.

get real press credentials (first time) to attend a sociology conference and then write a pair of articles based on what I learn.

Four close friends have died in the past couple of years, one by suicide. Intuit my way into connection with new friends. It's a challenge, but is anything worthwhile not a challenge?

Update and make official medical directives, end of live papers (power of attorney, will). Emotionally tangled and messy, which is life.

Deal with my nearby university's losing of a returned book. I have to replace it, yuck and unfair, so I'm finding ways to insert some personality and irony in my response.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 am

Third try at making Molly's video. Struck out. Molly does really well when it's just the two of us, and she bombs when there's someone else around. We're closer at figuring out how to do it. We're going to try one more time, and then give up. On the plus side, we had a lot of fun and more than a few laughs. Molly enjoyed the treats, but didn't like getting tangled in her costume. I'm not looking for ideas as I post here. We have it down to one idea that will work (I think) I wish I knew everything and didn't have to do any learning.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Lyndon,

Congrats on keeping up on your writing. Does that mean you're doing more than your "spurts"? (Is that the word you use)?

What kind of games do you do and how does it work with others?

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Elaine,

Congrats on your commitment and work on Molly's video. After all that work, I hope it becomes a reality.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 4

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Lynx wrote:
... so I'm finding ways to insert some personality and irony in my response.

Lynx

LOL! That's so "YOU" Lynx! Go for it!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Lynx,

Congrats on cash coming in. Always nice.

Medical Directives. Ick. I have to admit that I still haven't done that. Maybe you will motivate me to put it on the list and actually GET IT DONE this time.

Sorry to hear about the loss of friends. Always so hard. Good luck with the new friends coming in. I hope you're better at it than I am. I have to admit finding friends has never been my strong point.

What will you do to get "real press creds"?

Thanks for posting a serious quote on the quotes thread. I have been in the silly mode, probably because I've been fighting a low-grade depression. Glad that someone besides me is posting there.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:16 pm

There was a thread "Any other plate spinners out there" in the active topics list. I was going to respond but it's not active. Does anyone know which forum it was in?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:42 pm

Lyndon,

I was going to respond to your July post but I get totally intimidated hearing big numbers like .. 50,000 words goal ... got 25,545 words...

..words per day (wpd)... 277 wpd up to 1241 wpd....

Yikes! As a non-writer I have no idea what that means. Maybe it's not as stupendous as a non-writer may think. Any number above 40 is big for me. My design book has a total of 30 designs. That's a lot of work for me. How many words would I write in the book to support the chapter titles and photos? Absolutely no idea at all. Maybe I would write more words than I think. But I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE it isn't going to be in the thousands of words.

What I do know is what it sounds like when someone is really happy about what they've accomplished. That's what I heard in your post. So, a big CONGRATS to you for achieving that. And...I'll try not to run away so quickly when I hear big numbers in the future!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:55 am

The idea behind Nanowrimo is to give your inner critic a vacation until August 1st. Most writers do best just writing and writing, even if a lot of it is garbage, and then later coming back and editing. And that's how a person can write 50,000 words in a month. Also this year, Nano has a way of counting hours of editing. I was mostly editing work that was pretty far along, so that went quickly, but I did some first draft work as well. Usually editing rough work takes a lot longer that writing a rough draft, especially if its a very rough and drafty one to begin with. (If editing means cutting out pages and pages of garbage, and completely reworking paragraphs, you're not going to get very high numbers.) Most novels are between 60,000 words and 100,000 words in length. On a good day, writing and editing, I can usually write about 500 words, which equates to 15,000 words in a month.

In my (cabin) group of twelve, two of us got to 50,000 words. (I was one of them.) We were both editing work that was pretty far along. Another person got to 27,000. a few wrote between 2000 and 8000. The rest didn't write anything. Also, in April and July, you can set your goal to something less than 50,000. In November, the goal is 50,000 and can't be changed. I've enjoyed doing Nano whether I won or not, and I've always done more work that I would have accomplished otherwise. Also you have to take life into consideration- other obligations, illness, etc. Most of the times that I've won, it was shooting for 20,000 words.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Hiyall,

Well, the saga on the lost book closes with my finding a reprint and paying a processing fee. Backed off of most of my jokes when I came to write the form for their staff person to sign showing she had receive the book that I had delivered. Did inquire whether they would really use the beautiful cover and after a bit of hemming and hawing she admitted they don't usually and I asked for it as a memento of this lovely experience.

Re: What will you do to get "real press creds"?

You go to the press page pdf for the conference: http://www.asanet.org/sites/default/fil ... ration.pdf

and fill in the form and send it to your editor and then keep reminding said editor to send it in. He did on the last day for the early registration. Now we wait and see.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 8

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:05 am

Lynx wrote:... I asked for it as a memento of this lovely experience.

I'm glad it's finally over and you found a way to do it in a "Lynx way", as always. :D

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories