September 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:30 am

Ahoy Karen and welcome aboard.

As you can tell we're about more than just the literal steps because all that other stuff, life, is just there to be in the way, or supportive as the case unfolds.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: September 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:58 am

Hi, Karen, welcome.

Lynx, yay on your article.

Me - I had as much fun writing a I would have had playing solitaire. When it's good, it's good.

Happy steppin', everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Elaine Gillman:
Hope you got a good “muwhahaha!!!” for Weasel.

I never got into solitaire cards, though I often like writing a lot, and playing some multi-player games going around the board on my own.

Lyndon: This has turned into a somewhat low burst of activity (or flock of activities) month. So far! But then realized that my average words per day were “down” to 2 or 3x what they had been in June. Some of this is raising the bar on expectations.

Also got back in touch with another friend -- the director/referee/host of the last big complicated game.

Lynx: A recurring problem at work in last 40 years has been saying “yes” to too many things. And somewhat in rest of life, though I regret the work stuff more.

For getting up to saying “No” the analogy to pruning sometimes works for me. That is, intellectually it makes sense, but my emotions aren’t always convinced.

I enjoyed one of Barbara’s true scanner stories when she showed someone (well, got him to show himself) that he really wasn’t interested in “everything” but “only a few hundred things.”

Speech software:
Speech recognition software has never worked well with me, and robot customer service spends more time saying “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that” than anything else. My family’s genetic background is at least 95% British Isles since the 19th century.

Phone robots Pay Attention to my sweetheart, who gets to check many more ethnicity boxes on the census form than I do.

Lyndon again: Various routine medical tests have consumed time – and shown improvement. Yay!
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm working on a good mu ah ha ha. For Weasel. It's hard to get something bad enough for the scumbag that he is, but I think i"m on the right track.

Life is interfering, but I'm getting a little bit of writing done.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

23 maker or manager

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 am

hi folks,

My free productivity tool, Trello, sent this blog along about being mindful of when we are in maker mode vs manager mode.

http://blog.trello.com/maker-vs-manager-productivity/

I suspect the stuff we mostly post here as 'steps' fall into the maker mode.

There's a link out to an inforgraphic on multitaking & the need for 30 minutes warm up before the sweet spot for maker mode kicks on.

http://www.inc.com/laura-montini/infogr ... sking.html

To turn knowledge into wisdom takes action,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:54 pm

I suspect the blog is right about it taking time to get to the "sweet spot." If I understand him correctly, the "manager" part is the dealing with other people part of the job- the PR, which I hate. Besides the "Maker" and "Manger', there's the "doesn't require much brains' part of the job. I suppose that's technically part of the "maker." Sometimes that's a very comfortable task. It's a way to get started. I might have no idea how Weasel is going to get Vivian to go out with him, and just staring at the screen feels ucky, but, I can always do the easy proofing. The typos, misspelling, grammar mistakes, and the paragraphs that have the same word in them five times.

Last night I figured out how Weasel gets Vivian to date him. Alex is a more interesting villain, because he has a human side to him. Weasel is just diabolical. I think I need to make him more human. Right now, I don't want to. Maybe he'll have dreams of being a better human.

This is me signing off.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi folks,

Taking a long delayed look at some architectural drawing for our condo residing project. Stainless steel, good for at least 70 years.

The current cedar lap siding put on in 1982 and began to seriously look old and tired around 2010. 28 years. Plus we had to repaint (and set aside moola to repaint) every 10 years or so. No repainting for maybe 30 years.

Is there a contest. Someone mention a contest?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:31 am

The metal siding wins, IMHO. But that's thinking 70 years down the road, which people don't always do. Even considering the repainting job requires thinking ten years ahead, which is a long time from now. I suspect the decision will come down to what costs the most right now, and what looks better.

Speaking of contests, I entered the humorous speech contest and lost. I'm probably glad I lost, because I don't want to do the work of preparing the speech and going on the next level of the contest. But, of course, I wanted to win.

Writing is going well. I'm looking for ways to make my villain more interesting. He's sort of patterned on Lucifer from "Paradise Lost," so I should probably read it again. (I'm sure I read it in high school. - but probably only parts of it.) And he's insane. I'm thinking of Hannibal Lectern (excuse spelling. I'm sure it's wrong.) He's really interesting and he's pure evil. I can't see any way to make Weasel less than 100% evil, but in life and in fiction, characters are not just good or just evil. So - quandary.

September's almost over. Yikes! Does anyone want to start October? I'll do it if no one else wants to.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi folks,

Well, had our meeting, and the metal siding looks terrific, but is about 50% higher than our current budget ceiling. More from the drawing boards ...

Now have an interesting note from Obama care in my state that I'm supposed earning more than the max for getting subsidized health care. They show me with income I certainly don't see, so I'll talk with them tomorrow and if necessary appeal ...

Ah, my finances are most likely more complex than they are trained to deal with ... on the yuck list.

Wish me luck ...

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

30 Starting November

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:12 am

Hi

Elaine, if you're up to it, sure, make a start.

My warmup notes. I never like dealing with bureaucracy. It feels like they always have a hidden rule to evoke to deny me something. And also, anyone who actually thinks is punished. Like the Wells Fargo guy who did the right thing and WF retaliated because they were more interested in cheating ...

https://consumerist.com/2016/09/21/well ... -accounts/

Remind myself to breathe, listen long and speak clearly, ask questions, take notes, and afterwards scream into a pillow!

Other than that, checking out a talk on the biggest hoard of Tang Dynasty stuff found in one place and what it tells about tea trade. Part of a series on tea, the most popular beverage in the world (after water, which hardly should count as it's part of tea and coffee).

In this talk, Professor Mair discusses the Belitung shipwreck, a prominent theme in his co-authored book “The True History of Tea”. The shipwreck yielded the biggest single collection of Tang dynasty artifacts ever found in one location and a priceless insight window into the history of tea of China and the world during the early 9th Century.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories