October 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Howdy,

Keeping way too busy. I think I got a busy-bug when running through the 2 weeks of the design festival.

So, I pulled together the free concerts from the nearby music school (UW of Washington). They have a grant of sorts to make more concerts free. I pulled the list together, it's 58 from now till the end of school in June.

If 20% are the best ones to reach for, I'll next have to find 12 and mark them off.

I've discovered by accident something called Airtable, it's free, online/the cloud, and some type of hybrid between a spreadsheet and data-base.

It allows for imports. Way more than I need, but I like to combine something that's mostly routine with a bit of learning.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: October 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi,
Positive step - I got an acupuncture appointment. Hope it makes a difference. My energy level is zip.

Lyndon I don't need a procrastinators' club because I plan to get everything done tomorrow.

I found a copy of the novel dated October 1, 2016, so I didn't lose much when the computer ate my homework.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 am

Lynx, yay for the busy bug. It sounds wonderful to me.
And Lyndon, it sounds like you're getting a lot done too.

I'm moving slowly, but I'm moving. And I'm writing almost everyday. Still plan on getting everything done tomorrow.

Big step for today - laundry and clean the living room. Boring but REALLY has to be done. And I'll get a little writing done.

I'm planning on doing Nanowrimo in November.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Elaine,

I've been getting acupuncture weekly for a year now. It's amazing how it's helped my health in so many ways -- including energy. It is slow. Not a quick fix. Acupuncture is covered more and more by insurance companies. Sometimes, just for the first 3 treatments (like my friend at Kaiser), but sometimes much longer. I got it from Blue Cross 20 years ago, plus I got it from MediCal for awhile. Then they cut it along with dental and eyeglasses. It's worth checking with your provider.

Community acupuncture is when you get it with a few other people in the room instead of privately. I did that for a year, $20 per session, and it helped a great deal.

Everyone here, congrats for your continued progress. You all seem to be moving ahead at a steady clip. Keep up the good work. And keep on steppin'!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

Elaine and Lyndon, I just signed on for Nanowrimo in November, too. I'm using it write an long essay of around 8K words. My sh*tt* draft goal is 10,101 so I have something to trim away. Can I change the 50,000 default goal or is that locked in?

Through Nextdoor I discovered a neighbor who know for his lively letters to city officials about their indifference to doing that jobs is also an electrician. We needed our bedroom heater fixed and he dashed over, diagnosed the issue, ordered the part, and came back and put it in. While he was here we also swapped in a new light switch that's was acting cranky. Not only did he pass through the part at the wholesale price he paid, he also did all this work at the friend's rate—no charge. But when I offered a few dollars more than he quoted he didn't refuse the tip.

This has really lifted my mood. Hard to tell when something will do that and when not. The switch has been a low-grade complaint for months, and we've had no success getting any love from our interior designer nor or contractor/small jobs guys. And then, poof, it's done!

this writing thing

About 20 years ago I did a workshop with Prasad Kaipa—a high-level consultant who had worked out a simple way to unwrap the DNA for any project by constructing a 4-sided pyramid. Since then I've used them over and over to tease out my own feelings and thoughts about something. Here's a link if you're interested. http://kaipagroup.com/articles/four_que ... stions.pdf

Anyway, as I was getting ready I thought about getting things in place to use: to set up my "studio" with the right tools: getting example essays to study, joining nanowrimo etc being part of the prep. I also know I distract my self with "search" but some organizing principle in me actually did file away the pyramid I'd worked out years ago for writing. I just found it and wrapped it around an acrylic 4-sided pyramid encasing copper pellets. My question was: what will I need to write better and more fluidly?

When I look at it now I remember the four things driving my writing. "Feed dreams" literally, so that my unconscious is a partner and to remind me that so-called down time is anything but.

The other three relate to writing itself: "Mise en place" a French culinary term meaning "putting in place." Have my tools ready, pencils sharpened as it were, paper stacked and in it's box, etc.

One things are in place, writing requires my use of patterns. Getting to the "studio" is vital and it need not be a physical space. It might be temporal: my studio is half an hour each evening, etc. Or it could be an object: the specific file on my laptop is my studio. Getting a routine is another way to say building a pattern. Language is important, I want it to be artFULL, and I need to avoid the tensions between artistic discovery and fear of exposure when I release it to others.

When the first three align and flow, I feel a great thrill. I'll also need to be mindful not to let that become the goal and leave it as a welcomed by-process of the other sectors. After a decent, thrilling session, I'll take my rest and feed more the dreams.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 am

Lynx,

The November Nanwrimo goal is 50,000 words and cannot be lowered. However, there's no law that says you can't write 10,000 words and stop. That makes you a winner. You just can't buy the t-shirt that says "winner" on it. If they have an editing goal in November, you can write your 10,000 words, edit them, and meet the goal that way. Or you can write your 10,000 words, and then write 40,000 words about something else. I've found Nano helpful. Sometimes I've reached the goal; sometimes I didn't make it. But I've always written more than I would have on my own. And it looks like Lyndon's writing just took off after nano. So I think it's worth it whether you write 50,000 words or not.

Okay, back to work for me.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for the 411 on nanowrimo. I'll just do my thing and use the excitement and structure.

A decision today: use everything I've got: Scrivener, Word, excel, inspiration (mindmapping app for K-12), alphasmart (distraction free writing keyboard also marketed to K-12), trello, airtable, Keep and Share calendar, paper calendar, todo lists, paper, pencils, napkins, pens, etc.

Then I thought, My 'studio' is going to be chaotic, how will I track all of this? I'll use airtable which is free and online for basic purposes.

I watched a bit of Joan Didion talking about her writing. She said she taught herself typing in the 8th grade by typing out Hemingway stories. She says his rhythms and such seeped into her approach and style from this practice. Tres cool.

Off to play with Airtable for a few minutes. I want to see how to do countdown dates.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Lynx wrote:I watched a bit of Joan Didion talking about her writing. She said she taught herself typing in the 8th grade by typing out Hemingway stories. She says his rhythms and such seeped into her approach and style from this practice. Tres cool.
Lynx

Wow! I want to try that with my favorite authors. I wonder if it would work if I talked it into my Dragon.

It sounds like you're in an "up" space in your life, where you're actively using what works for you. I know what it feels like when I'm using the things that help me. I tend to slack off and then wonder why I stopped since they worked so well. You've motivated me to ask myself what I used to use that helped, and get those things out and give them a try again. Thanks for the inspiration. Good luck with using all the things that work for you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:33 pm

We have a new enthusiastic person on the boards. Say hello to Erwin in the New Users Post here first thread.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Inspire Success.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi ya'll,

IS, please try reading your favorites into Dragon and tell us what results. I am reminded that Mark Twain began as a journeyman printer. Someone asked him how he'd learn so much, and he said you have to read the works you were re-printing in order to lay type. Same principle. I'll see if I can find a quote (well, it hints at it):

The printer's art, which is the noblest and most puissant of all arts, and destined in the ages to come to promote the others and preserve them. The Mysterious Stranger

Mostly passive weekend with attendance at a conference followed by a performance tomorrow, and another performance Sunday.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:52 am

Lynx, Lynx, Lynx!

Thank you so much for the idea of talking my favorite authors into the computer! Absolutely amazing! I'm not going to talk about it yet because I'm so hyped up I'd go on and on and on. I don't want to use up a huge amount of space here. I'll try to calm down and write later about what happened.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the kudos, but "Wow! I want to try that with my favorite authors. I wonder if it would work if I talked it into my Dragon."

It was your idea, I just 2nded it.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 23

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Lynx wrote:It was your idea, I just 2nded it.

I watched a bit of Joan Didion talking about her writing. She said she taught herself typing in the 8th grade by typing out Hemingway stories. She says his rhythms and such seeped into her approach and style from this practice.

As a musician, what caught my attention, was the reference to "rhythms".

It was my idea to talk it instead of type it, but your mention of her typing it, gave me the idea. I would never have come up with that as a way to interact with my favorite authors. I'm still reeling from the effects!

I only did 1.5 pages from The Vagabond, by Colette. 1.5 pages and I'm so amazed!

I may be so amazed because I'm a bit hypomanic. It's a gorgeous, sunny day. Hillary Clinton's numbers are way up. And now, I have a wonderful new way to understand why I like my favorite writers. I think it will affect my own writing.

In the meantime, I do need to take a breath and calm down!
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:06 pm

I'm really struggling not to chatter here. But...

Whenever I try to write fiction all I do is describe things. No plot. No dialogue. Just descriptions. One of the realizations that came up from this exercise is maybe there is a plot. Maybe I just don't see it. If I allow myself to do what I do, perhaps the plot will reveal itself. If I trust myself and my writing, perhaps something lovely would occur.

I'm too hyped up to try anything right now, but in the near future...
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories