November 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

November 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:40 am

Welcome to the September Stepping Thread. Set your goals, break them down into steps, and make your dreams come true. Hour by hour, day by day, week by week, state your steps and we'll support you and cheer you on.

"To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping" – Chinese Proverb
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: November 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:41 am

I started the thread this month in hopes of getting myself to start stepping again.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:12 am

November goals:

1. Start hat/scarf project again. The $200 I'll get paid for it will buy me a drafting table, which should motivate me to start doing artwork.

2. Find out what an ear loop is. I did some basic research (5 minutes) but don't really know how it works or if it would work with my phone or my hearings aids.

3. Call special phone company to see if they can help me make my phone work better or use an ear loop with it. They have CC phones but they say there's a delay in the response and I think that would drive me nuts and make a long conversation with a friend really annoying.

4. Start TKGA Master Knitter Program.

That should be enough for one month. I tend to overdo my to-do lists and get bogged down. Mary Kay Ash says you should do a 6 things per day list and make them little, tiny goals. I've been doing that and it's going well. It feels good to check off 6 things per day. Makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing things, even though the steps are tiny.

What are the goals for the rest of you this month?

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:49 pm

My 6 things list is working well for me. Sometimes I put things on the list AFTER I do them. For instance, today my printer wouldn't print. It copies but doesn't print. I spent 1.5 hours trying everything to get it to work. Still doesn't work but I put "Do 1.5 hours of computer work" on my list and checked it off as "done"!

P.S. I know I'm posting here on October 30th and 31st but I don't care. I'm really sick of October!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Inspire: Yay November!
First task for me should be " Set your goals, break them down into steps..."

I'll be working on getting my group game from "alpha" stage to "beta" stage, in computer geek stage.
Alpha stage = "We guarantee there will be problems! Things will unexpectedly break and go up in flames, but it will be so cool when done! Wanna look?"
Beta stage: "It should work! it does for us with only a little nudging, and occasional adjustment. Would you help us test drive to see if anything goes worng?"
Beta stage might also be inviting people over for a play to help built the set. It's a ways before Opening Night.
Except for these games, all the audience are also actors/authors.

Developing Alpha stage more than doubled my average words per day, and got me back in touch with a half dozen old friends.
Next stage should crank up my wpd, and give another dozen of us something to talk about and fiddle with -- including people newish to me.

To be continued.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:28 pm

In another thread, Square Peg referred to me as IS and to Elaine as EG. Maybe we should all have initials!

IS - Inspire Success
EG - Elaine Glimme
SQ - Square Peg
LX - Lynx
LD - Lyndon
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi, Everyone,

I shorten names sometimes, and use initials. I hope no one minds. Does anyone mind? EG is fine with me.

October was rough, but I don't expect November to get better. The weird part is - the things I deal with are not all that bad. It's my attitude that sucks.

My goals are:

1. a lot of writing while checking in with Nanowrimo. I probably won't hit the 50,000 because I'm getting close to the end, and most of my work will be editing which goes a lot slower.

2. improve health - vague goal, not clearly stated, but I've done two steps which seem to help. acupuncuture and I replacedtennis shoes with Mephistos, and boght an extra pair of Mephistos (very expensive shoes, but after one day, I can see a difference.

My goal for tonight - get the house clean enough that I won't be embarrassed for the dog sitter to see it.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:42 pm

To be honest, I never liked being called IS. I prefer Inspire. But if everyone else uses initials then I'm just one of the group and I'm fine with it.

Sometimes when I post I sign Inspire Success not just because it's my name but because I'm really saying Inspire Success to whomever I'm responding to in the post. I see it not just as my name but as a message, too. I hope that makes sense.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Elaine,

I'm going to start a thread in General Information about California restrictions on light bulbs and lamps. If you can help me with that, I'd love it. I'm going bonkers trying to buy a lamp.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1 msg 9

Postby Lynx » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Whew,

It's the first and I'm msg #9. Alright.

Attended the Nano kick-off event last night from 10:30 to about 12:40 when I left early. To quote a man sitting in the row behind me, "I'm happy I came, this is fun." Overall about 50 some folks came, maybe 17 in h'ween costumes. At the countdown to midnight we all hushed and got to writing. The first few who crossed the daily goal of 1666 yelled bingo and were awarded something. I got to about 800.

a couple of days ago I was thinking about Joan Didion's quip by the second sentence you write a second sentence you are all out of options. Decided the first sentence might be buried. And every sentence is a first sentence. Every word.

Came across a Japanese word related to typing/speaking a master's works: "utsushi, which refers to the emulation of a master artist’s work as a way to understand their style and technique." This from a promotion for an art exhibit by a Japanese artist at the Seattle Art Museum.

I have a few things on my list and I'm steadily working through them. One was connecting here. TaDone!
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Inspire Success, I know you taught, and so I understand "Inspire Success." And I see you inspiring us as well.

I've been out of haz mat for nine years now, so I'm not up to all of the California regulations, but I'll try to help with light bulbs info. And I do know something about them.

Me - I'm making a little forward progress. Good shoes, breaking up the long car ride, and acupuncture are all making my legs feel better. Especially the shoes. There's a dog that poops in front of the house almost every day, and once when he pooped right on my door step, I stepped in it. I couldn't figure out how to clean out all the treads, so I quit wearing my $$$$$$$$$ Mephistos, and started wearing tennis shoes (sneakers, keds, whatever.) After a couple of weeks, I was not just limping, I was hobbling.

Meanwhile, Molly had two-bucket flu all over my car. Again I had trouble cleaning out cracks and crevices. I just made an appointment with an auto detailer who says he can take care it.

Hope this isn't too much information.

Wrote 708 words so far for Nano. I find it's really important to make a start.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: Hope this isn't too much information.

Not at all, Elaine. As you always tell me, "This is the place to rant"!

Good luck with the poop/vomit situation. What an icky mess. Plus, your brand new expensive shoes that you loved! The trick to cleaning treads is to take a bucket, pan, or the bathtub and put enough water in it just enough to get the sole wet but not the rest of the shoe. Let the shoes sit for about 20 minutes in the water, then use an old toothbrush to scrub the gunk out. It's disgusting, but it works. I recommend wearing rubber gloves!

And...you keep on steppin' no matter what's going on in your life. That's impressive!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 six things

Postby Lynx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi,

As part of nanowrimo (Nano) I've gently begun to play with repetition. I normally don't like to repeat (so many X, so little time). But I'm re-reading a memoir that I read 3 or so years ago. Interesting. Less a feeling of boredom, I've read this before, it's more amazement. I don't remember some scenes at all and reading them again it's like the first time. And others are very familiar though I couldn't quote them, and still others are still vivid.

I'm also getting a DVD out to re-watch that's key to my nano essay. Another repeat.

I joined the Nano site and found a home on the nano-rebel-essayist thread. I'm doing a few of my Steinbeck Warmup there and watching to see how people respond.

Six things today:
1. rough in template for review of a play I'm watching tonight (find the image, put in the dates, location, etc.)
2. Visit library and deal with their decision about the book damaged in the rain (what luck!)
3. pick up DVD
4. Visit Wells Fargo
4a. use safe deposit box
4b. present letter to branch manager asking for a single account (follow up to the scandal).
5. come home and write for nano at least 25 minutes. I find I can reach about 800 words if I stay hell bent.
6. leave with enough time to reach theater for play. Watch play, Come home. Start review. Sleep. Get up. Proofread/publish review.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Lx,

When I first read your list it seemed overwhelming but when I read it a 2nd time, it seems very doable. I have what I call "In" days and "out" days.
"In" days, I focus on doing the stuff I do at home and then group all the out of the house stuff for the "out days". You just have in/out days.

Good luck with all.

I haven't made this a goal, but it seems to be falling into place -- put in 4 hours a day of designing 3 days per week. I'll see how it goes. I haven't worked in 14 years because of major health problems. It feels amazing to put in 4 hours a day of work. I can't even put into words how ...... something it feels. There are no words for it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:04 am

Howdy,

Inspired, I run off clear (no appointments) and crowded (one or more appointments) feelings.

What's left over from yesterday:
1. leave with enough time to reach theater for play. Watch play, Come home. Start review. Sleep. Get up. [done this far] Proofread/publish review.
2. deal with poor stitching on a new bag I got because my old bag let me down. Woke up singing "Say Something, I'm letting go of you." Cover by the Pentatonix.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYlvdLdK9w
3. patch in some interesting pieces i've written before I want to revisit for my essay.
4. catch up on some put off scheduling details.
5. get my pot luck stuff for a ballot party tomorrow. Compile various tips sheets.
6. Check in with nano forums, warm up by writing something, and run at least one 25 minute writing session. I may sprinkle them around, maybe 10 minutes at the top of the hour, 15 at the close.

Inspired, there's a type of flywheel to working. A string of days helps sustain more work, and a string of days "off duty" draws more days off duty. Four hours may work, but if it doesn't I support you relooking at that commitment and easing back to a workable level for now.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories