November 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: November 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I'll post, "Wow, put on the brakes! :wink: " or "Wow, want some caffeine? :wink: "

Thanks! I don't drink caffeine but... "Go have some chocolate -- immediately!" might help. Ice cream is also a big pick me up. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I'll post, "Wow, put on the brakes! :wink: " "

If I'm going too fast, I also respond to..."Whoa, Nellie"!
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:18 pm

In case you're wondering what the heck Elaine and I are talking about -- if I get depressed she's going to suggest an immediate infusion of sugar; if I get too wound up she's going to go "Whoa, Nellie" to slow me down. It will help with my up and down moods.

RE: work. After a long day of moving furniture around and cleaning under things which totally screwed up my neck and shoulders, I rewarded myself with 1 hour of fun work.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:13 am

9.5 hours this week. If I can get 2.5 in today/tomorrow I will have reached my goal. After spending days in bed after the election, I'm relieved to be working again. I was afraid that depression was going to last a long time and keep me from working.

Now that I'm back on steppers I feel like I'm hogging the thread. Hope I'm not being obnoxious with my constant counting of my work hours. :oops:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:01 am

Now that I'm back on steppers I feel like I'm hogging the thread. Hope I'm not being obnoxious with my constant counting of my work hours. :oops: — Inspire

Not at all, use us. For a long while it was just EG and LX out here in the hinterlands holding space. So activity of any sort is great!

Today:
Working up words into my essay for Nano. 7801 so far. Really helping my thinking and ideas, the prevision stuff of excellent writing.

Call with a friend this PM for mutual support.

Considering putting myself on 'mute' about electoral stuff for a week. I'll know most call.

I also have a free "law of attraction" coaching session on Sunday I need to send back my hopes and dreams for. Many have scrambled since the election.

Mostly, I'm worn out from bringing my philosophy of "start with my, our strengths, build out from there" into discussions. Most people pretty rapidly dive willingly it appears to me into despairspeak. Not me, not my horse.

Lx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 am

It is nice to get someone else posting here, Inspiresuccess.

my Nano writing today is pure venting. It feels like something that I need to do right now. I've been really depressed for the last few day - personal and global problems. I'm going to describe the country and the world as I see it going two months from now. Then I'll hit it with positive. As I said, the hope I see for us is if we take care of each other. and if people who would disagree with me would say enough is enough.

So I'm writing like a fiend right now. It's something that I need to do to balance the depression.

Inspire, the house cleaning and the fun work you're doing feels like the same thing, balancing out the last few days. And cleaning house is so symbolic of cleaning out everything else. Check in tomorrow, with us or with yourself to see if you're overdoing it. The feeling I get from your posts is that you think you might take it too far.

Also on a positive note, Molly got her nails trimmed yesterday, and we got pills for pain, joints, and - I hate to mention it - incontinence. So a few problems should disappear from my life.

Now if only the elected fecal sample would disappear . . . (You know, when I say fecal sample I'm not referring to Molly's deposits anymore. )
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Now if only the elected fecal sample would disappear . . .
Have you checked the Election thread lately?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:So I'm writing like a fiend right now. It's something that I need to do to balance the depression.

I'm glad to hear that. Not only good for depression, but also that energy blasting out through writing I think is good for your writing in general.

RE: Pet incontinence. The pets I had that lived for a very long time all had this problem. It's part of the age process. I was able to get through it with all the love I received from them for so many long years. I'm sorry to hear that Molly is at that stage, but after 15 loving years...

Yesterday's work was fueled more by anger than being hyper. It's sounds like you and I have both taken anger and depression and fueled it into something positive. I knew a minister years ago who suggested this response to negative things and I frequently use it.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT GOOD COMES OF THIS!

Every time I say it when things are going bad, it always makes me laugh because it's so preposterous.

Yesterday details. I got angry that I had this situation sitting here for a year or two with no help. I finally did it alone. I have a small old bed that used to be called a "single bed". Smaller than a twin bed. I can't think of what it's called where it has a pullout frame underneath with another mattress for someone else to sleep on. I bought it at a garage sale and left the pullout and kept the 2nd mattress. So, I have two mattresses on top of each other.

Pulled bed out. Cleaned behind and under it. Pulled both mattresses off to put a cover on one. Put everything back on and discovered I forgot to put the dust ruffle on. Both mattresses off again. Everything done again. I hate it that I have no one in my life to help with this s**t, but this is the reality of my life. I have several other things that are heavy and hard to do alone, but I'm going to do them myself soon. Get it over with.

Other physical thing. My TV stand arrived. Simple, 5 minute assembly. Unfortunately, 10 minutes of scraping and gently using Goo Gone to get the large sticker off of it.

Then to the audiologist.

My "work" was my fun reward for all of the above. Did a swatch, liked the results, gave me ideas for more things.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Lynx wrote:I also have a free "law of attraction" coaching session on Sunday I need to send back my hopes and dreams for.
What's a "law of attraction" coaching session? Sounds interesting.

Not me, not my horse.
I like that phrase. Did you make it up or is it some saying I haven't heard before? Nice rhythm. I'm going to borrow it.

Yeah, people keep saying to me, "Well, I voted. That's all I can do." Not me, not my horse. I started this year with LWV volunteering and one Clinton thing. I'm going to continue pushing myself into whatever ACTION I can do with volunteering and doing more than voting. Elaine, things like posting about the petition we can sign for Electoral votes for Clinton is a form of action and being involved. I've been posting info I find on the Election thread. Plus, some humor there.

Both of you know me well enough by now that humor is one of the ways I cope with depression. I post funny stuff in the Quotes thread. Now I'm posting some funny stuff in the Election thread. It boosts my spirits a tiny bit and I hope sharing it helps others.

Elaine and Lynx, I'm glad that the Nano thing is helping both of you this year. I considered doing it but the last thing I need right now is speeding up in response to a time frame. I knew it would send me off the deep end. I need to slow down, not speed up.

Thanks both of you for welcoming me back to this thread. I appreciate it.

I am a bit speedy and I hope you can tolerate my multiple posts. I just spent 1.5 hours posting on the Barbara Sher thread. Might be good info for other people but I'm going to go lie down and do some meditation.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:29 pm

I did 30 minutes of yoga and calmed down. I have an appointment. When I come home, ABSOLUTELY NO WORK!

It helps me to do simple things like vacuuming, washing dishes, basic cleaning, etc. That's all I'm allowed to do. Clean. It's going to be a challenge. But I've got to not THINK.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:34 pm

I did one very gentle hour of work, while watching my favorite TV show, The Voice. The floor around my work chair gets piled up with binders, papers, books, and swatches. A big, messy pile that stresses me out. While I watched TV, I slowly sorted through and made smaller, more organized piles. That leaves me 1.5 hours left for my 12 hours per week. If I can do that tomorrow or Saturday I'll reach my goal.

I'm very calm tonight.

I took a break from my weekly acupuncture because I need to use the money for some chiropractic that I've put off for years. But, since I'm being unstable I think I might go for at least one session so he can see what's going on. I haven't decided yet. I really need the chiropractic adjustment. I have been doing yoga for an hour every night for about 2 months. As everything gets loosened up, I'm more aware of the areas that are really out of wack and need to be adjusted. Damn it for not having enough money to do the self-care I need. Patience. One thing at a time. Eventually, I'll get both treatments.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Dammit. I worked another hour. An actual stressful work hour. :bash: WHOA NELLIE
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:10 am

I can't think of what it's called where it has a pullout frame underneath with another mattress for someone else to sleep on.
a trundle bed.

I got two thousand words written - mostly babble, and yes it's good therapy for me. it dawns on me - I didn't feel this bad when my parents died.

Anyway, steps for today are writing, walking Molly, of course, and going to the gym - maybe swimming.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

not me, not my horse

Postby Lynx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi folks,

"Not me, not my horse" is an Russian saying I first heard in a short video about the South African artist William Kentridge. Last month I asked my Russian friend if she'd heard it, and she hadn't, but when I looked it up, there it was. It's a peasant's saying as a joke to avoid responsibility. The fuller translation goes: I'm not me, and that's not my horse." They way I've shortened it I want it to mean: That's not my values and I don't feel a need to get engaged as I have my own values and areas of engagement.

I've lost a few days of tracking this thread with other things being uppermost for my time. Among them I've gotten a service battery alert on my Macbook Air, so dropped by a couple of Apple service places to discuss. The first said replacing was $140 if they kept the machine until the part arrives, or $180 if I kept it till they could work on it. The difference being the cost to me of people in the past flaking on bringing back their computers to get fixed. Thanks whoever you were, you owe me $40.

They also said if it fully fails there's no damage done and the machine will still run off the adapter.

The next store was permanently closed.

There's one other local option and I'll then have all the 411 I need.

After 200 Job applications submitted before I imposed a stop, I have another I'm interested in and feel I have a chance to land. Looked over the application brief this AM and at some of their materials online. Great fit from my point of view. Working on Cover letter next and some small tweaks of the resume. One of the questions they want addressed is what skills or knowledge would I need to get up to speed. Great question! Helps me feel I can be clearer in the rest of the letter.

Nano effort is bumping along. Hunkering down this evening to get my momentum back in gear. The more I get into this, the more I have to say.

Oh, I'm on an 8 day my-side only political talk fast. Not ignoring your comments re: that stuff, just won't say anything so I have space to clear my own mind.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:28 pm

I''m also Russian, and I've never heard of "not me, and not my horse. But I'll use it from now on.

I'm feeling very anxious about writing, probably scared that I won't have anything to say. Well, I"ll give it a short spurt and see what happens.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories