November 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: November 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I'm feeling very anxious about writing...

Set the timer for 10 minutes and tell yourself that's all you have to do. Stop when you the timer goes off. Now, skedadle, and put in that 10 minutes. Remember to breathe. I'll be checking back in to see how you do. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:32 pm

It's 9:30 pm - yoga time for me. Elaine, I hope you got some writing done tonight. Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:43 am

I'm going to be offline for a few days. Best wishes for getting lots of steps done. Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Yes, Inspire, I typed for a bit that night.

Something I just remembered that I want to put here.

I entered kindergarten when I was four years old (my birthday is in January, so a very young kid.) and I didn't know how to speak English. Every day after school, I'd go to the principal's secretary's office, and I'd wait there for my mother to pick me up. Most of the time in school, I felt very scared and very alone. I never did learn how to make friends and have fun with people until much later. Anyway, one day, I was waiting for my mother, and the principal, Miss Katherine, was there, so, not knowing any better, I said, "You know, Miss Katherine, I don't like your school." She said something that I didn't understand. Then she said, "you know, this makes Miss Katherine very cross." I didn't understand the words, but she wasn't yelling, she sounded like she cared about my feelings. "Cros"s must mean, "sad." So I said, "Oh, I"m glad." She said more things that I didn't understand, but I learned that "cross" probably didn't mean what I thought it did. I " said, "I'm sorry, because that was what you were supposed to say when grown ups were mad at you. Later Mommy told me that they were probably going to kick me out of school for that. How's that for a lesson on never tell someone what you're feeling?

This was about 65 years ago, remember. Things are different now.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

telling your feelings

Postby Lynx » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi EG,

Maybe that story needs a sweep into the corner so you can tell your fictional feelings OUT LOUD and PROUD.

It's nearly 9, I'm tired from a productive day. Drafted a job application I'm sending in the AM. No one is there now anyway and I like to have one overnight to allow my dreams to have some say.

Had a "law of attraction" coaching session (free) today to help the student clock her hours. Went well. Mostly I left it feeling more inner permission to block out distractions while I write the essay. Seems my life is blocking out distractions. Distractions is, of course, where's the fun's at.

One permitted activity: there's a personal story-sharing meet-up I attend and this month's topic is permission. It's key to my essay so I will go to get ideas. Also need to attend a parent support group to update my memories of how it operates to fold in new members.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am

Yes, Lynx, that's why I posted the story. I'd forgotten about it. And if' it's influencing me, I want to get it out of the way. In general, little girls back then were not encouraged to disagree with anyone.

I'm making some progress on my non-writing chores, getting some things done that' I'd been putting off for a long time. And I think I'll try out the light box today.

As usual, your projects and activities sound interesting, Lynx.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Happy celebrations everyone.

I'm up and working on housekeeping details for my essay. Had a panic that I would not find a quote, but found it! It's from Ionesco's Rhinoceros: To Understand is to justify.

Yesterday, I took a book to the local university library to replace the damaged one I turned in a few weeks ago. This is the second time this year I have an issue with a borrowed book. The first was deposited in a dropbox and never seen again.

I've been borrowing books all my life, so this is an interesting run of bad luck. This round cost me over $100 ... $25 for the replacement book, $15 restocking fee by the University and $65 for a new, larger, waterproof-for-d*mn-sure backpack. The last backpack has been given away because it failed to protect anything inside during a heavy downpour where I had to run for several blocks to make an appointment on time (no umbrella).

Anyway, they have the damaged book ... and a fresh one I supplied. I wanted the damaged one given to me, reasoning, they had a book in decent condition when I borrowed it, they now have a book in decent condition again. Suddenly, it's "university property" and cannot be given to an individual. Alright, I'll buy it. It can't be sold, either, without wide public notice. This attitude bothered me because I'm not anyone, I'm someone who has been required to pay up or replace a damaged book, one they probably won't reshelve. They consider my fresh book a "gift." It's as much a gift as a baggage fee is a gift to an airline.

Shake it off.

Ok, onward.

Weather is not inviting, so hunkered in to chip away at some things.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:21 am

If I worked for the University, I'd have given you the damaged book.

An interesting Thanksgiving. Chris (caregiver/friend) cooked a huge dinner at our house for his family and ours. Then his dogs got out because the fence had fallen over, so he had to run home to fix the fence and missed dinner. I was thinking it was probably better that he eat with his family. (His daughter was having some trouble dealing with deaths in their family), and realized at 6 o'clock that they didn't have any food. It was all at our house. And we had leftovers on top of leftovers. I felt like decadent aristocracy with starving peasants. Called Tom and he called Chris to arrange for them to have some of the feast he had prepared. But apparently it didn't happen. Chris is in the hospital because he has an infected tooth/half of his face. So maybe that's why he took off in such a hurry.

Earlier, MIL had given Tom a bad time. She told him to get a haircut and called him an embarrassment. (Bad move on her part.) He showed up in time for dinner with his head shaved. Some people can pull off the look. He can't. His ears and nose seem to go on forever. I'm going to take a picture and include it in a Christmas letter. All the important news in our family is sad, so I want to end with a chuckle.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

nano noted

Postby Lynx » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:23 am

Hi folks,

If you're racing to the finish for Nano and face the challenge of editing, I've stumbled on a pair of discoveries to share.

1. I review plays for Drama in the Hood. http://www.dramainthehood.net/

2. I'm to review Treasure Island on Saturday. This in itself has some interesting discoveries. Robert Louis Stevenson dashed off the first 15 chapters in 15 days after he casually drew a map with a buried treasure. He slogged along for a while, then in a burst finished off the closing chapters in two weeks. After reading it through, he sold it for serialisation (Scottish) for £30. He sold it again in book format for £100 a couple of years later. It's since never out of print.

3. I decided to look up the adapter for this fresh production, Bryan Burch, to see what I could learn. Found a guest blog (long) about his experiences sussing out the value of a novel in the first 10 pages. Along the way he casually mentions that he found Susan Bell's The Artful Edit to be useful.
https://gentlyread.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... yan-burch/
http://books.wwnorton.com/books/detail- ... 87&CTYPE=G

4. Looked up the Artful Edit. It was late and I couldn't finish either the blog or the sneak peak at the book, but I know I've found 2 somethings. Plan to finish them today and see to borrowing/ordering her book.

Happy writing, happier editing, happiest finishing,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:29 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:Earlier, MIL had given Tom a bad time. She told him to get a haircut and called him an embarrassment. (Bad move on her part.) He showed up in time for dinner with his head shaved. Some people can pull off the look. He can't. His ears and nose seem to go on forever.
:lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:32 am

Lynx,

Thanks for sharing the details of all the writing info you discover. So interesting to me. I'm a reader, not a writer, but I find it fascinating to see the inner workings of writers.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:09 pm

I'm up to 7339 words as of this morning. I was working as you were posting here. (If I keep going at this rate, I'll finish the 50,000 words on April 20th 2017 :lol: ) I always imagine that I can do what Robert Lewis Stevenson did, but usually it doesn't happen that way.) Still I do get sudden bursts when everything is perfect. And I know I'd have written less without Nano.

I'm hoping that today is one of those burst of creativity days. I'm at the point where I know what I want to happen, I just have to write it, and then fix it so it's more interesting to read. The real sluggy part is when I don't know what I want, so I just play solitaire and ignore the fact that I haven't a clue what to say.

Lynx, you sound positive about your writing. I hope it's going well. Also Lyndon, hope you're having a lot of success. Also, anyone else who's writing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:35 pm

8240. But that's mostly garbage. It's always small steps. I want to get from here to there in a couple of hours.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:8240. But that's mostly garbage. It's always small steps. I want to get from here to there in a couple of hours.

Good luck. I'll check back if you want me to. Would you like accountability? Or would that feel like having someone look over your shoulder?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:54 pm

I could use some accountability. I'm going to try to get back to the hat/scarf project. One leaf done today would be nice. One of them is about 1/2 done so having that one done shouldn't be a big deal. I sat down yesterday and asked myself what was the resistance. Embarrassment, mostly. Promising her over and over to get it done, extending the deadline, then saying I couldn't finish it. Making it into such a drama. Feeling incompetent. Etc, Etc, Etc. I hope I can get past that and start fresh. I do have the new lamp so I should have better lighting. That might help. I thought it was just a magnifying lamp, but it has a flip lid, that when you close it, you can use it as a regular lamp.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories