December 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: December 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Goal. Health. I can't count on meds being enough. I ordered some books from the library. I haven't read about my illness in several years. It's time to read again and to see what new books are out there. Maybe it will help.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Feeling very slumpy and lumpy.

Came out of the slumpy and lumpy at about four o'clock this afternoon. I got out a pretty good draft of Weasel's dream. Still needs tweaking, but it's basically what I want.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi

EG, so cool you've laid out some text you like to deal with weasel's dream. The muse was awake while you were slumpy and lumpy.

Inspire, are you referring to the Henry Ford quote? If so, thanks.

I've got another newspaper article to draft on top of all else. It's included a 100 pg report (read) and for background looking at the last meeting on a task force on video to watch. It was their last meeting and they ran as long as it took, about 9 hrs of recording time. I have 2.5 hours to go. Brain drained. Do tomorrow.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Lynx -- sympathy on need for rant.

Me: Getting a little daily writing in. Yay. (A bit too tired still for "Yay!").
Saturday was Diane's annual artists and crafters show, which was fun and tiring.
And got a doctor's appointment at high noon Saturday through a good local nonprofit. Very frugal! And quite pleased with new doc. Cautious tweaking of some med doses.

Sunday was a quarterly checkup for the car, which ended up taking 4 hours. Most of this was waiting, as it turns out the shops "appointment scheduling" was a "you will be ahead of any walk-ins" and not as closely connected with when our car would actually be seen as, oh Dr.'s office appointments. But Zephyr is fine.

Do you name vehicles or equipment?

Monday was a half day at work, and then give Diane a lift for a quarterly checkup at the doctor that's most fun to visit. She's fine! We came back zig-zagging to see lots of Christmas lights. And a small sprinkling of other celebratory lights.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:01 pm

Also did my first GoodReads review. I had intended to get into it with my Camp Nanowrimo cabin buddies in summer, but was a bit slow.

Reviewed Merrie Haskells CASTLE BEHIND THORNS, which has roots in Sleeping Beauty, but grows up to be its own thing.
While I didn't sleep a hundred years (just umpteen years in this story), it still seemed appropriate for the unexpected delay.

Among the story's pleasures is that is isn't driven by anyone making Dumb Choices to drive the plot. They try things, and often have occasion to regret their choices as they learn more -- which is a rather different thing. "I was hasty, and have much to make up for" a Saint's spirit says late in the book. Another says "Some problems are not for you to mend."

There's a lot of mending, kindness and careful experiments. I keep checking it out and re-reading chunks of it, and will probably need to give myself this for a Christmas gift.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi folks,

Seeming better rested than I'd guessed I would feel. Also, biohythms are cruising relatively high, on average, so that helps.

Do you name vehicles or equipment?

Yes, this Mac I'm writing from is also a Zephyr. Good scrabble word.

Car was: Frog Mo (frog mobile because it was a squarish 1978 Toyota station wagon) and now Gold Finger (2000 Nissan Maxima). My bikes are The Juice (stolen) and The Juice II.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 5

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:30 pm

Lynx wrote:Inspire, are you referring to the Henry Ford quote? If so, thanks.
Yep. Saw it right after your rant and posted it for you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Lyndon wrote:Do you name vehicles or equipment?

Never. Never even thought of it. Is this a "guy thing"?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

HELP!

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Lynx, You seem to know a lot about government agencies. I don't know if you can help me with this or not. They're coming tomorrow to check it out so I don't know if you'll get this message by then or not.

The thermostat in my apartment doesn't work properly. I basically have two choices -- too hot or nothing. I have a pencil mark on it. I have to put it all the way to the top to get it to kick on and then very slowly lower it to the pencil mark. If I'm even a tiny bit lower than the pencil mark it won't work at all. Unfortunately, at the pencil line it's too hot so I spend all day and night manually turning it on and off.

I put in a written request for a digital one and let them know I have a special discount on my utilities bill because of health issues and control of the heat is important.

They let me know they would change it but I will have to pay for parts and labor because it actually works.

I really like living here and usually they're really good about this type of thing. They have new management and they might be getting stingy because of that. I would like to give them two options -- 1. they install it free or 2. I report it to...someone. I'm pretty sure they would do it for free if they know I would report it. This is a government subsidized apartment complex and they're very careful to comply with all requirements.

It's not a lot of money -- $25 parts and $15 labor. It's just that I don't think I should have to pay it if it doesn't work properly.

I told them I wanted to show them how it works/doesn't work and they said they'd stop by tomorrow afternoon.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

6 Inspire's Request

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Inspire,

I found this on the Rent Control Board's site: http://sfrb.org/topic-no-260-handling-repair-problems

I'm clipping the more useful parts, I think, for you here. The short of it is that the landlords pays for repairs out of the rent they receive because it is their property, not yours, and I see that implied but not directly stated in the SFRCB's language. If you move out next week, you can't take the repaired part with you.

The Rent Board has the authority to adjust a tenant's rent based on a lack of repairs and/or maintenance. ...

Write a letter to the landlord and list the problems you want fixed.…

If the landlord fails to respond … then write a second letter and state that as a last resort, you may call a City inspector to file a complaint and that you may also file a petition with the Rent Board for a rent adjustment if the items are not repaired by a date that you think is reasonable.…

Get a receipt if they force you to pay and then write to the RCB and ask for a refund on rent and enclose a copy of the receipt.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks, Lynx.

The rent control board. I knew you would be able to think of the type of agency.

My apartment people don't think it needs to be fixed. I think it does.

The handyman is super nice so I'm hoping when he comes today he'll agree that it needs to be replaced, at their cost. He's coming sometime after 1:00.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:37 pm

My heat issue is resolved. They installed a digital thermostat, no charge to me. The handyman checked mine and said it worked fine, but because I said it doesn't work in the lower heat settings, he's taking my word for it and telling management it needs to be replaced.

Health was one of my goals this month. I've been fiddling with this crappy thermostat for 3 years. I finally spoke up and asked for digital. My first response to paying for it was to say, "Ah, um, okay" and feel uncomfortable about it. Next step was to speak up and say I shouldn't have to pay and ask to have the handyman check it with me there before installing the digital. I explained to him how it doesn't work for me (even though it did when he tested it). When I was in my 20's I got a book on women being assertive. They had a little test to take to see if you're assertive. They assigned names based on the results. My name was "Doris Doormat" based on the test! My first response still tends to be Doris Doormat (oh, you want me to pay for it? Sure. I'll pay for it). But my Assertive April person sometimes step in to the rescue like this time.

Having control over the heat will help my health problems, so yay! me for taking care of this.

Geez, I still have Doris Dormat in me. Now I'm feeling uncomfortable and guilty since the handyman said it really did work fine and I feel like I "should" have paid for it. Argghhh.... It's done. I have to let go of the uncomfortable guilty feeling. SO STUPID but it's still the way my brain works sometimes.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:08 pm

I'm progressing on my other goals for this month.

Wardrobe. I took advantage of the Black Friday online sales and bought a really basic wardrobe -- jeans, tops, 1 pair shoes, 1 pair boots, and a winter coat. I don't know why, but I kept summer clothes in my healthy, normal, small size but not winter. For winter all I have is one pair of jeans, 3 shirts, no winter coat, etc. I have basics now.

As far as work goals -- I'm not working due to health issues. However, I'm doing related things which will help me move forward with work, once I return to it. In case folks don't know -- work is knitwear design. What I am doing is experimenting with yarn colors for sweaters I plan to make for myself. Not actual work, but it's a good challenge for me to be knitting anything.

Health. Books are on hold at the library for me to pick up -- books about my health problems.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:12 pm

I checked my goals list at the beginning of this month. The other two goals have to do with my hearing. I'm pretty miserable about it and I'm not being proactive in any way. Maybe if I were feeling better health-wise I would be doing more on those goals.

Considering the fact that this is only week one of December I'm doing surprisingly well on my goals.

One of my goals a month or two ago was to deal with the TV situation. I've bought and assembled the TV stand. I ordered the TV cable. I haven't bought a TV yet. I'm planning on doing that this week or next. I have lived here for 3 years without a TV. It will be a big difference.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:05 am

Hi,

Go Inspire, go. Happy the tech agreed with your assessment and put in a new device at no charge. Us 99ers, we're understanding.

Also, great cheers for all the progress with your goals on health and clothes and easing into design work again.

I have four days pretty much clear of hard appointments, meaning I can do chores like shopping when it feels right to take a break.

I hope by Monday ...

Finish the last 100 minutes of a government task force I'm watching. Takes about 1.25 longer due taking notes and having to backtrack to get quotes right.
Look into setting up interviews for the next couple of weeks.
Read 12 short essays related from the publisher I'm sending my essay to for the contest.
Add bits and pieces of writing to my main doc and print it (using Scrivener and have some minor things like page numbering to work out).
Meet with possible siding contractors and start the vetting of them for the project/write quick note to team/send any follow up details.
Now the fun starts.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories