December 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: December 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:31 am

I guess Mercury is not in retrograde. Congrats, everyone on your steps.

Big, non-writing step should happen today if all goes well. (God willing, and the creek don't rise, and it doesn't rain (too much.)

A friend took me to see "The King and I" yesterday. Feel all jazzed up after taking a break from everything.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Big success step! God was willing, the creek didn't rise, and it rained, but just a mist, not enough to keep the contractors from INSTALLING MY SOLAR PANELS. It feels like a really big step. It's harder to get someone else to do something than to do it yourself.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Big success step! God was willing, the creek didn't rise, and it rained, but just a mist, not enough to keep the contractors from INSTALLING MY SOLAR PANELS. It feels like a really big step.

The gods are smiling. :D And so are we. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am

Howdy,

Snowed last night and now the streets are slush. Hunkered down.

Today: continue as before. I'm finding as I keep my attention on my writing efforts DETAILS in the form of keys, wallets, where did I stash that cash, receipts, etc. begin an on again, off again relationship with my mental mapping. I'm excited about a bit of writing and ... and where are my glasses!? Here a bit of frustration makes a grab and if the item isn't found swiftly, it grows and can equal or overwhelm my excitement and even the idea itself.

There's an ancient parental (mostly dad) tape this repeats: If you can't X (the small stuff) how dare you think you can do Y (the writing)? There's a rhetorical truth to it, but one can't logic out of thinking that logic didn't create. I remembers whole days spent in misery under this dicta after some success. It's likely secretly core to my former attacks of m*n*a because I'd feel free of all that stricture scripture for a moment and wing it for the sun. Like Icarus.

My remedy tactic is to first reverse the phrase: I will dare to write well, though this strains my capacity to attend to small vital details.

Now a series of transformations to see where I can get to. Like changing words one letter at a time by adding or switching, or dropping. ... From AD to LAD to GLAD to GLADE to GLIDE for example.

I will dare to write well, though this strains my capacity to attend to small vital details.

I will dare to write well, though this stretches my capacity to attend to small vital details.

I will dare to write well, though this stretches my capacity to attend to material vital details.

I will dare to write well, which also stretches my capacity to attend to material vital details.

I dare to write well, which also stretches my capacity to track to material vital details.

I dare to write well, which also stretches my capacity track material vital details. I welcome both to create and edit what I do. So I will run a narrative in my head of what I do with material vital details. I'll practice starting today.

This is my warm up, thanks for your patience.
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:22 am

Your Dad's words need to be put into context. It's true that if you can't learn to add, you probably can't solve quadratic equations. However, just because you can't find your car keys, doesn't meant that you can't write. (But you do need to find your glasses.)

Also, from your Dad's words of wisdom, it follows that if you can get a PhD, you can do a heck of a lot.

And a lot of times people who are really gifted in one area, have trouble with the small stuff. Like the absent-minded genius.

Plus what I've seen of your work, is really good. IMHO.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 am

One step forward, two steps back. Molly can't stand up. I think it's the meds I'm giving her for incontinence. Rats!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-b

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi,

EG, reversals and pivots to plots of our lives and in our fictions. Hope some adjustment to meds changes things.

Re my dad's words, trust me, I'm clear about the context. My dad's words followed one of my triumphs where I'd lose track of some detail or another. So my doing great (triumph) > my feeling great > my lost detail > his comment > my feeling low and confused. Those comments were to dull, not enlighten, trust me, given the lifetime of evidence I saw of my dad's behavior. Words to enlighten could have been, "let's learn how to stay a bit more grounded after an appropriate time of enjoying a success." Or "When you're feeling this upbeat, start to narrate to yourself what you do with things, like, 'I put the keys next to the coffee cup,' or 'left gloves in pockets of gray jacket.'"

My task now it to jettison my child's mis-absorption and experience of my dad's words. This is short was of describing what sometimes are called scripts or strategies. Not the time for sharing this in details. For anyone interested here are a couple of links:

http://changingminds.org/explanations/m ... cripts.htm

http://www.nlpcoaching.com/nlp-strategi ... -behavior/

Right now I need to recover my fully working mind—I want to write and edit and keep track of my keys. No requirement I have to keep spinning because of damaging comments. There's something in the Bible about honoring ones parents that gets scrambled with leaving every dagger of harm in place. Don't subscribe, 63 years unwittingly cycling through this pattern is 62.9999 years too long. I need life, support, and freedom to be myself.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 9-b

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Lynx wrote:I need life, support, and freedom to be myself.

It looks like you found the words I was trying to find but couldn't.

“Freedom is a pretty strange thing. Once you’ve experienced it, it remains in your heart, and no one can take it away. Then, as an individual, you can be more powerful than a whole country.” ~ Ai Weiwei
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:25 pm

I meant for you Dad to put his words into context, not you, Lynx. By the way, did you mean for > to mean "leads to" or "greater than?" If you read it as "greater than" it's kind of affirming. I guess I'm trying to help negate the script you got as a kid.

By the way, I'm always losing stuff, my keys, my glasses, everything. I once lost a half an avocado.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi, I meant > as "leads to"—these are links in a chain.

Many people lose things, and I lose things away from this particular chain of this old script.

This was for me, my script, my particular script, and I don't expect anything universal about it. I may learn to track better and lose fewer things over time as the process of losing things, in me, may all be bundled and healing one might resolve a host of others.

I think you are feeling my keenness about this and my determination to make adjustments. Many people do and are themselves bothered by my sharpness, but that sharpness is also is mine. Many people almost seem, to me, to begin to "support" my father which makes no sense as he is not literally part of this conversation any longer. Plus, when I speak in a support setting, I ease any rules about evidence and justice. I support my friends to support them, not to establish right, wrong, guilt, or innocence. Support is not court. This is also what I expect.

It takes great energy to reverse and set right and I express my coiling of potential to see to my getting my resolution. Often it is less my healing, or even the content but my energy level around it. All mine, admittedly, but I now know some people are bothered by it. I don't know what to tell them, but I don't expect my personal processes to soothe others. They don't soothe me, right now, as I'm riled that this has dragged along behind me my entire life & pulled me down, emotionally, immediately after I felt quite wonderful after an achievement. I've had a faulty way of dealing with success that led to the loss of tens of thousands of dollars.Yes, I've been robbed and cheated by this script. Note: I wrote script not my father. Yes, there's anger and energy, not to blame, but to heal and move on and live out the rest of my life enjoying my successes without losing something immediately afterwards which destroys my joy and happiness.

Finally, I don't feel this is a legal or factual question of right and wrong. Even were I to feel my dad was "wrong" or "to blame" what then? I'd still lose things. I own that I interpreted his actions when I was a very young child, and this interpretation never returned for review or was appeal internally, and so carried on until now. I didn't have the insight to it until this week. An alternative interpretation by me or anyone won't change that old internal script. One way to change is to "retire" of the old show and the start a fresh one with better supports for my desired life experiences. Like a theater group of 1, this new narrative will require practice to reach perfection.

So, I attend to leaving that old pattern behind and creating a moving narrative that tracks where things are put with all the force of character I can bring. It's like cracking black walnuts, it can be done but I won't succeed if I think it's like any other nut.

Yes, I am a nut case.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Molly is okay. Other than that, today is bust.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:30 am

Hiya'll,

This narrative traffic-logue experiment worked well for the first day.

Doing well on my various projects. Up to page 12 or so out of 60 I'm editing. Hope to get through another 6 to 10 pages today. If I reach half-way by Tuesday, that'll be great. Came across a 3 part BBC series that is on topic, natch, that I will need to watch. Most of the fun now is fact-checking and light sentence/paragraph improving.

Also writing a difficult article on the fraught subject of police - community relationships (or lack for some communities). More videos, except for the final one where the votes were cast I'm sampling through.

Stayed up too late last night and feel it. Not good for writing. Early bed times, consistent get up times.
http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/1c ... 1573c.aspx

Let's see how I do on this writer's 13 pt plan:

1. Understand how much sleep you need. Ok, I need from about 11 PM to 7:30 AM, which is really from 11:30 to 7 because I don't go right to sleep and I spend half an hour each morning visualizing my day, dealing with psych and emotional changes, etc.

2. Set a regular bedtime and, more important, a regular wakeup time. This one is new for me. ±7:30 works, tho when I don't need to I don't use an alarm. If I go to bed early enough I also won't set one.

3. If you need to make up for lost sleep, have a daytime nap instead. … A short nap of 10 to 20 minutes can make you more alert and improve your concentration. A nap of 45 to 90 minutes will get you into slow wave and REM sleep, which enhances creativity.
I do this. When I had a job I had to really think about this because as a consultant working from home it was easy to do. Finally I hit upon ... tanning booths! With out the rays, just the bed, my eye mask (mostly handkerchief) and the timer on my watch. The per session cost on a plan was less than a tea or coffee.
4. Turn off all backlit screens at least one hour before bedtime.
5. Make sure you’re warm—wear socks if necessary—but that your bedroom is cool, dark and quiet.
6. Don’t allow your sleeping time to be taken over by worrying.
7. Eliminate caffeine shortly after lunch. Don’t drink coffee, tea or colas after 2 p.m.
8. Avoid alcohol at least three hours before bedtime.
9. Avoid sugar before bedtime.
10. Get exercise.
11. Avoid drinking too many liquids in the evening.
12. Quit smoking. Nicotine is a stimulant.
13. Wake up to light.

Do these.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:41 pm

RE: my goal of health this month. I got 5 books from the library about my illness. I've read one. Started a 2nd one.

I speed read non-fiction and leisurely read fiction. Because I've only been reading fiction, I'm out of speed reading practice. These books are a good chance to hone my speed reading skills in addition to getting the info.

Because it's been a long time since I've read about my illness, these books are reminding me of all the good things I used to do for myself that I've stopped doing. I had one notebook thing I used to use all the time. I have no idea where I put it. I'm going to see if I can find it online. Plus, there are websites that had programs that used to be helpful. I haven't been to those websites in years.

Time to take charge of my illness again and do the things I do have control over, so I don't feel overwhelmed and caught by surprise when I have a relapse.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12 7 pm

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi,

Inspire, I like the steps you're taking.

I'm settling in for a restful evening. Today very productive ... got through several more pages of my essay draft. Many paragraphs lopped off as not needed for what I need to say.

Also worked hard on an article coming due next Monday. Watched many hours of recorded meetings on a topic that literally is a matter of life and death, the use of deadly force in my state by the police.

Going to relax with reading a few published essays and looking at a book on editing.

Hope to have as equally productive day tomorrow and take a lunch break to hear a Bach concert at a church.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 12 7 pm

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Lynx wrote:Inspire, I like the steps you're taking.

Thanks, Lynx. Sounds like you've got a nice balance of work and rest going.

Lynx wrote:Hope to have as equally productive day tomorrow and take a lunch break to hear a Bach concert at a church.

Wow! Great lunch break. Wish I was going with you!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories