December 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: December 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:42 am

Lynx, I reread an old post. Just got "yuck this list" :D Congrats on your project. Sounds like you're making headway.

I like "to the page" reminds me of a galloping horse.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:51 am

So I got the hanging-over-my-head stuff done, and my house has gone from disaster to very messy. Today's goals are to keep writing, get the house down to just-a-bit-messy, and put up Christmas decorations and send out Christmas cards. It's really about three days worth of work, but it's all fun stuff. Also, I want to bake cookies and buy some more presents.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:08 am

Hi folks,

Called Louisiana about my tax bill for some property down there and they are running a month late due to the flooding.

Got a good enough draft of my news story done and read thru about 80% of it with a friend tonight. We will finish over the phone tomorrow.

Wandered around a really interesting store I hadn't paid much attention to as a stress reliever, Grocery Outlet. Reminds me a bit of the Aldi Brothers stores crossed with The Dollar Store. It's interested that the checkout person was quite cheery and announced how much I'd "saved." I asked compared to what, well, the other stores, duh!

Now to sleep, perchance to dream,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Freud and Daily Healing

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:47 am

Hi,

Awoke thinking about our back and forth around my losing things and wondering where I'd come across thinking like that? As an aside before I forget, have been much better at tracking since that morning.

To the origins. It was Dr. Sigmund Freud's The Psychopathology of Everyday Life I read for my own edification as a young adult. I'll see if I can find a clear quote about his approach (Wikipedia):

During the year 1898 I published a short essay on the Psychic Mechanism of Forgetfulness. I shall now repeat its contents and take it as a starting-point for further discussion. I have there undertaken a psychologic analysis of a common case of temporary forgetfulness of proper names, and from a pregnant example of my own observation I have reached the conclusion that this frequent and practically unimportant occurrence of a failure of a psychic function – of memory – admits an explanation which goes beyond the customary utilization of this phenomenon.

Freud's concluded:

The unconscious, at all events, knows no time limit. The most important as well as the most peculiar character of psychic fixation consists in the fact that all impressions are on the one hand retained in the same form as they were received, and also in the forms that they have assumed in their further development. This state of affairs cannot be elucidated by any comparison from any other sphere. By virtue of this theory every former state of the memory content may thus be restored, even though all original relations have long been replaced by newer ones.

I also spent many years working and playing with dreams of myself and others. Also trained as a lay therapist. So I applied what I'd learned and experienced to my own challenges of tracking where I put things.

This is a third of my warm up. I also have a couple of long email messages to read and respond to, then, it's ....

to the page, in a little while,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Lynx, your post interests me. I've been losing things all my life, and of course it gets worse as I get older. My husband is even worse than I am. Congrats on the progress.

Also congrats on the articles you're working on. Sounds like things are going well.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

18 sun

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:52 am

Yes, Elaine, for the moment things are well for me. Talked to a lifelong friend the other night who had a serious head-on car accident two years and plus a stroke and is now living off disability and requires lots of aides and assistance. Walks a little bit with a walker.

She still lives as full life as she can. She is now considering what projects she might take on within her new circumstances. Courage!

About the pscyhopathology ... the reverse is the psycho-remedies of everyday life. I must have dozens of remedies between the tools I've learned and the tools I've invented, and the tools I've adapted or adopted.

At root is a sincere and humble offer from the conscious self to my unconscious self for friendship and cooperation. I get here through writing my tri-alogs (one voice me, one voice unconscious, one voice "the problem"). From here an easy way to get into changing is through using NLP Reframing: http://nlp-mentor.com/six-step-reframe/

Then, from there, sometimes it's a toggle. Some change, some relapse, another session perhaps with a new approach, change, relapse, session. Live and repeat as necessary.

Here's an example, a couple of days ago I has a phone call with a key person for the article. I looked at the area code and for some reason I panicked thinking it was wrong. Of course, it was right but at the time I had to make the a quick double check, it was right, and I made the call maybe a minute or two late. But I started feeling crammed and off-balance.

So I had a little conversation with Panic the next morning before I got out of bed. Turns out Panic and Mania share neuro-chemicals that rush in and shake me us. Shake up things. Panic shakes me up while creating something, and Mania shakes me up during and after succeeding at making something. They are seriously confused, like the Starkiss Tuna! I want to shake up things, not be shaken up!

So I did a guided meditation imagining myself always gently floating on the surface of a pool, but the pool itself (life experiences) gently rises or falls given circumstances. I'm always buoyantly floating and aware of my surroundings. No need any longer for Panic or Mania. Or as I came to call them Pania and Mania. Floating is Sane ... Sania?

To the page,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 18 sun

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:12 am

Lynx wrote:No need any longer for Panic or Mania. Or as I came to call them Pania and Mania. Floating is Sane ... Sania? Lynx

Sania. I love that. It sounds like you're using your tools well.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:23 am

Lynx,

I don't know if feedback is helpful or not. If not, I will hold my tongue. I have noticed within the last few weeks, signs that you may have taken up temporary residence in the land of Mapania. I made a mental note to myself and didn't say anything, because I don't know if feedback is helpful or hurtful. Let me know which and I will adjust my comments accordingly.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Mapania?

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi Inspire,

Please, comment at any time. Just happens that 12/18's blog on Moodscope dealt with this very concern. https://www.moodscope.com/blog/

Writing is really slogging most the time which leaves no space or time for mania. Ended off last night very tired, for example, not manic, and planned when I'd nap today as I fell asleep. Not manic right now and planned nap time in about 20 minutes. What you are sensing is my commentary when I have the time and freedom to get to my own works. Having overlapping projects and very little time means I have a laser focus on staying on task. Many days I have various commitments which means just less time to create.

But anything is possible. Virginia Woolf on finishing a bit of writing:

FEBRUARY 7. I wrote the words O Death fifteen minutes ago. having reeled across the last ten pages with some moments of such intensity and intoxication that I seemed only to stumble after my own voice, or almost, after some sort of speaker. . . . Anyhow it is done; and I have been sitting these fifteen minutes in a state of glory, and calm, and some tears. . . . How physical the sense of triumph and relief is!
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1954/ ... of-reality

Also my brand of mania used to come during and following successes. Right now I'm in the middle game and nothing feels successful. But Woolf's comments is instructive to my Mania self: a state of glory, and calm, and some tears ... How physical the sense of triumph and relief is! Calm!? Tears!? Relief!? States and feelings to evoke within myself, indeed, for how to feel when I've just finished.

The panic was not related to mania, just used similar neuro-chemicals.*

* This claim is not proven by the FDA, a brain surgeon, or by any type of brain test or scan. **

** Don't care.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Right Life Decisions

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:24 am

Warm-Up,

Reflecting on a line from Anne Truitt's Daybook:

p 66/
The Hallmark of a decision in line with one's inner development is a feeling of having laid down a burden and picked up a more natural responsibility.

Ah yes, and tracing that line and returning to it for both strength and confirmation of still being "in line." This is what religious hermits ache to do. I think my practice of 30 minutes for and with myself every morning while still in bed is my way of brushing aside the cluttered business of living by the dictates of others (bills, taxes, obligations) and sensing where that line lies and which decisions are ripe for re-doing.

And I agree with Truitt, I would add you also get a gift from the soul. For me it sometimes a refined sense of smell, or feeling like my fingers and bones have been oiled, or a bouquet of insights about random things.

When I can express the new decision in real life and time, there's more gifts that follow. For years there's been a broken pattern between my partner and I. I would bring up something I know we'd talked about and for whatever reason she can't recall the conversation. Recently, I wanted to comment on how the inventors of Microplanes have made millions off of repurposing a common rasp. She didn't remember the conversation and after 2 sentences I could see she was no nearer to picturing what a Microplane was (we'd even handled them in kitchen stores).

At that point I said, "Okay, I'm done. I'm out of this conversation." And walked away. Not angry, just knowing I'd be wasting my creative energies for no benefit. This was new, and the result of a decision inline with my own inner development. I felt great.

To the page,
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:37 am

Feeling very sloggy right now.

Goals for today - clean kitchen bake cookies make coleslaw work on Christmas cards.

those are the biggies. My writing is happening. My other chores aren't. Yesterday, two Christmas parties.

I like what you wrote, Lynx. For me - I'm not doing all that much. I have too much time, I just don't fill it. Probably a bit of depression.

Inspire, please read yesterday's post under "searching for Kansas." I hope you get a kick out of it. (In a good way. No pun intended.)

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Had very satisfying two hours of relaxed handwriting stuff. Today had an enjoyable couple hours working on a spreadsheet for the game. (Think of it as outlining, though some number crunching will be involved eventually.)
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:51 pm

Elaine: This is likely not useful, but for some reason the thing to do with Weasel's Dream that came to mind was to do an animated musical of it. Found a copy of Fantasia when housecleaning ...
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Lynx, good wishes to your friend who had the car accident.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Lyndon wrote:Elaine: This is likely not useful, but for some reason the thing to do with Weasel's Dream that came to mind was to do an animated musical of it. Found a copy of Fantasia when housecleaning ...

Hi, Lyndon. It won't work for this dream, but I'll file it in the back of my mind for later. I love the idea. It'll come in handy when I need some comic relief.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories