December 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: December 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Inspire: Belated (or time-released) seconding of Yay! for self-care as regards thermometer. Now that you don't have to take the excessive heat/cold next steps should be easier.

A bunch of my goals floundered on health, and so while it is not the most fun of goals to work at, I've been putting it more in front.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Just sent my draft article—Yay! Worked it over with a friend Friday and a few tweaks from my ever-helpful dreams and off it went. Awaiting Editor's response, ...

Now to my nanowrimo draft. Worked on it two solid days over the weekend. Right now trimming out double entries (same topic addressed in multiple writing sprints). Also trimming out successive drafts of sections where I had some initial working ideas and kept returning to it with different spins.

Have most of today and all of tomorrow before commitments grab my time and mind.

Oh, the friend who read through my article draft said he was available to work through the essay with me. Yes! I found his approach congenial and his ideas and edits excellent.

A word at a time, a sentence at a time, a ¶ at a time, a section at a time—

To the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

DO NOT READ: Unless you really HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO READ

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:36 pm

I haven't read recent posts, but I will do so soon and respond. In the meantime...

The following has nothing to do with my goals this month. It is information that nobody needs to know including me. Yep. So why post it? I found it interesting and I thought someone else might find it so as well. Or not.

If a woman loves mystery novels set in 19th century London, how does she find them in the library? She types in "Mystery fiction London 19th century". Then what? There are 332. This would be daunting for most folks -- not this one. She skims the cover pictures of all 332 and in a very short time, selects the 4 she wants. How does she do that? (she being me). How do I do that???!!! That's what I asked myself just now.

Step 1: Skim past anything with pastel colors. Those are romance novels -- silly fluffy things where men are "rogues" and women are...whatever women are in those books. These books tend to have "catchy titles" like, The rogue not taken, Bite at first sight, Earls just want to have fun. Avoid all titles that include the words -- rogue, earl, duke, scoundrel, bride, seduction, etc. Font is important, too. Avoid any titles that have wavy, scrowly, flowery fonts.

Step 2: If it has good cover art and the title isn't too awful, it's worth taking the time to read the brief overview of the book. After the aforementioned eliminations, there's usually very little left.

Step 3: Place holds on what's left.

Step 4: Pick up at library.

Step 5: Read, enjoy, repeat.

It amazes me what I can do by looking at cover art!

Of course, if I could figure out how to use the Kindle I bought 6 months ago, I could be reading ebooks. The Kindle came with no directions. It said to plug in and charge and then it would tell me what to do. I charged it. It didn't tell me. The only thing that showed up was one sentence in a foreign language.

I went to the help website. It assumes I already know how to use the damn thing (duh!) and the website will help me with specific problems. Not the problem of...how can I make it show me something other than one sentence in a foreign language?

I have to go to the library at the right day/time to get the person there to help me. On Saturday. Between 12-1. I don't do well with limited time frames. Still on the to-do list. Sigh. Back to cover art.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:41 am

Hello all, or hallo ell?

Inspire, my goto teacher is Dr. Google, PhD. I fiddled with a couple of search attempts and found this video from Andru Edwards of Gear Up from 2012 on the Kindle Paperwhite? Not sure which model you have but the fundamentals might be similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qoxlpUUo0o

Just by coincidence, I've met Andru a couple of times and he's a really cool guy.

The basic strategy is:

Try out a term on google. For Example, "Kindle start up" Or "Kindle getting started" or "kindle start steps"

Then look for and click the video sort tab. You may or may not know that Google Owns YouTube. Means youtube is INDEXED to heck. Hecko everyone?

Pick a likely video. After you skip or hum while google's ad is running, watch about a minute. If it doesn't suit your needs, go back to the list and try another one.

Even amazon may have videos since there's Amazon Studio: search something like: amazon kindle getting started.

Use the pause/play button to stop the video while you hunt out what they are describing.

I use this method all the time. For example, right now I'm learning Scrivener on a just in time basis—when I need to know something I search it up. Yesterday it was how to superscript and how to change to page views.

Today: 1/ 5.11 hours of editing. 2/ Reading more of a funny interview with Amy Hempel in The Paris Review. 3/ Visit my nearby university surplus store to see if they have more 5.11 tactical pants. 4/ Go to drug store to see about iron on patches for my carthart (really? yes, tis true, two pair) pants & jeans.

Tomorrow: acknowledge I've been really working diligently and allow a day of rest and distraction.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks, Lynx, for all the info. I'm notoriously bad at how to Google. I will try your suggestions. I really appreciate it. Plus, thanks for reading my long, pointless post! I came here this morning to delete it. I'm glad you beat me to it before I deleted.

I'm happy for the writing progress you've been making. Very exciting, especially that one article. Congrats.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi Inspire, google is the same process you use at the library to find books, simply at a much much bigger scale. So, I'd say, you're notoriously good just yet to see & feel it.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I hate being wrong. They say that apologizing drops your testosterone level to a dangerous level, and I believe it. Anyway, that said, I can remember saying "I'm sorry" often enough that I think I do admit it when I'm wrong. We have two people in our family (one male, one female - it's not a gender thing) who are always right, and it's driving me crazy.

This is a rant, by the way.

I contend that if you give someone who is lactose intolerant milk products and don't give them Lactaid, you will have unpleasant consequences. And I further contend that if Cool Whip says it contains milk products, and you give Cool Whip to someone etc., etc., etc. And I further contend that if, the first time you gave Cool Whip to said person, and had unpleasant consequences in epic proportions, you should remove Cool Whip from the diet first. The purchaser of the Cool Whip claims the problems stems from sugar, honey, and all things sweet. I'm not talking about a ton of sugar, I'm talking about a spoonful of honey in a cup of tea or a large helping of jam on a piece of toast that never caused any trouble before. The Cool Whip replaces all other sweets.

The Cool Whip proponent is also amazingly good in many other ways. He just can't admit that he bought something that caused a problem. But he's definitely a keeper. He also admits to OCD.

For me, it started out as an "I'm right and you're wrong" thing, at least in part. But I'm also worried about the inconvenience to everyone from the unpleasant consequences as well as the health of the person eating Cool Whip. And I think I've moved past the ego issue. I know I'm really bad at telling people that they've made a mistake. By the way, I've never had to deal with the aforementioned consequences.

Okay, thanks for the rant time.

Writing is going well, or at least it's going. It'll slow down when I start working on the climax.

Happy Holidays, and Happy Googlin, Everyone!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:20 am

Hi folks,

Elaine, I share your rant! I'm finding that many—rather most—people simply lack any idea of why they are talking, what relationships need for speech, and what they can to do to help the relationship.

I'm back on hook to get a combo lock for our garbage bin. Tried online and ebay but with shipping its way to expensive. Now looking to find one locally if I can. There's a particular brand I think will do well, but if I can't track it down tomorrow, I'm going to get a supposedly weather tough Master Lock.

I'm also back to trying to repair my jeans. There's a specialty company called iron patches /IP/ that has high reviews on Amazon. IP has both patches for inside and outside the jeans and I'm considering doing both because the gap I have to deal with is big. I took back my Singer faded denim patches I just bot for a refund.

Also, day off from editing. My mind needed a breather. Getting my wordcount down is tuffer than I thot. It's fun to play with spelling here, bot, tuffer, thot.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Yes, I find that about 90% of my editing is cutting.

I'll be working on Xmas for the next few days. a lot to do, and not enough time.

Concerning the Cool Whip issues, I had told him my concerns, and he just said it's not the Cool Whip, it's sugar. I told my husband, who doesn't like confrontations either, but he's better than I am at diplomacy. So I'm dropping it.

To the store.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi Elaine,

I often jokingly mime a sheet of paper and ask the person to sign off on that. I then I say I've done my part and leave it alone, too. Right move.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 22

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Lynx wrote:Hi Elaine,

I often jokingly mime a sheet of paper and ask the person to sign off on that. I then I say I've done my part and leave it alone, too. Right move.

Lynx
:lol:

Yes, I've done all I can do. Anyway, she's going visiting over Xmas, so it won't be an issue til she gets back.

Me - still behind, but it's coming along.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

doubt/ A Rant

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi folks,

Rant time, for sure.

Now comes The Doubts. Time is dwindling and I don't feel anywhere near where I'd thought I'd be by this time. That article ate a precious week. Other commitments eat three days a week and leave my body and mind tired.

Yesterday I did something I do a lot. I made a calendar of the next few week till it's due and looked my available time to work. Drew off some time for rest and random things like, oh, shopping, exercise, let's say. Then more for the nuttiness that the gremlins toss in. I'm not naming any lest they are watching me type. The social stresses around the frantics of the broken/stolen election stuff that I'm still keeping fairly quiet about still haunts and drains energy.

My life partner kinda sorta remembers how I like my support (direct, simple, act curious) when I have the patience to remind her after she doesn't. She can't be bothered to remember before then. But it leaves me feeling much alone and requires more effort to avoid exposing myself to what feels like her yawning indifference to listening and going along with what I ask without my having-to-remind-her-how-to-support-me-every-single-time.

The article is merely draft, naturally, and may come back with major needs.

I need to start arranging time with my reader friend. Nothing feels ready for other eyes.

Time is running low, support is low, stress is high. Great, just great, life has brought me yet another fine mess, YAFM.

Okay, shake it off,

To the page.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Hope the rant was helpful.

To the page, to the page, to the page, page, page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Removing Goal Debris

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:15 am

Hi,

Yes, rant helped.

For my warm up today I'm going to clear out all the goals I failed to make. I tell myself during the final push to finish something that I always finish. Not true. And those missed, broken, stalled, reversed, etc. goals are cluttering up my motivational system, crowding out ideas to do what I need to do today, and weigh me down with emotional-mental luggage that has nothing in it I pursue anymore.

In the spirit of the I Ching's 8 trigrams, here are 8 areas I swept clear:

1. Relationships. All the flattery and flirting that led to nothing. Or sometimes worse—Can we be just friends? "How did I end up in the friendship room?" Chris Rock. So long.

2. Relationships. The tangle of confusion when I was in love with two friends at once, twice! And yet a third time tho they weren't friends. Goodbye.

3. Self-defense. The stress of public exposure and trial by friends from one of those triangles. Chucked to the recycle bin.

4. Writing. All the stories I pitched, wrote, submitted and ... nothing sold. See ya.

5. Money. All the winnings never won, all the jobs and careers I prepared for that never were offered, all the training I took in prep for anything that wasted my time and energy. You will be missed, for sure.

6. Travel. The six months of world travel visiting food festivals and taking cooking classes. Not gonna happen. This is very sad, but I gotta let you go, too.

7. Living in community. Five years I served as an officer of an intentional community association. I traveled and visited. Led workshops. Finally invested in a likely place and had my earnest and sincere enthusiasm rebuffed. Negotiations failed. Left community (got investment back). Five years! Gone.Now in condo from hell. Unfair, yes. Maybe my tale will help others and the idea is always with me, but for life, living in community like I imagined and work for, it's over because I have a mortgage and too much else to do. And I know there are no guarantees.

8. Bridge. Seeming a simple thing, but tween the incredibly complex job of tracking how local government makes love with greedy developers and condo complexities, and chasing income, and needing to idle sometime—I've no consistent time, no consistent partner, no consistent energy. I've had good runs of playing in the past, now is not one of them. I pass.

Wow! Look at all this Space and Quiet!

To the page,

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:16 am

I just noticed at the bottom of the main menu for the Boards, there's a note: Most people on line ever October 31, 2016. If any of you want to post anything, please feel welcome. (But no pressure.)

The Boards are not dead. We are not alone.

Happy Holidays, Everyone!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories