December 2016 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: December 2016 Daily Stepping

Postby Fotografa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Happy Holidays !
I hope the new year will bring us closer to our goals. With a clean new sheet of the life to come, ahead of us, we can start drawing with inspired enthusiasm!
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Fotografa, thanks for the well wishes, and welcome. Let us know what's in your plans, when you feel ready.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

25th

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,

Merry Christmas if you are celebrating.

Had a very productive day editing and rearranging yesterday. Feeling tired. More rest breaks today, but again want to put in 5:11 of time on task.

Beginning to get ideas for next phase which is reading it out loud with someone. My partner for sure, and a friend who volunteered. It's going to be a lot of time between looking closely at the writing and making sure the ideas knit together well. I'm estimating maybe 75 minutes per 1000 words. With a goal of 8000 words, that's 8 * 75 = 10 hours.

If this is too much for their schedules I'm thinking I might crowdsource slots for friends to volunteer into.

Then I'll be ready to proof it about 5 times.

To the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12.26 closing out 1K words

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:30 am

Hi folks,

OK, it's warm up before writing time. I've combed my first draft, dealt with gremlins losing a saved version (not much lost as far as I can tell). Revising my back up system to send backups to dropbox when I hit save.

Mary Karr remarked that she writes lots of pages. When her voice for the Liars' Club finally gelled (she told it in her father's storytelling style) she knew that was IT, and 400 pages of the old stuff had to go.

I did the same, yesterday, ripping out my first closing section draft and dropping below 8000 words again.

A few other deletions I have in mind will restore a total 1000 words to close with.

Today:
    Write those 1000 words.
    Take necessary breaks.
    Start to schedule times with readers.
    Nap.
    Have a list of small tasks for breaks.
    I think I'll buy turbotax. It's on a buy early plan, the sooner you get it the lower the costs; the closer to 4/15 the higher. Don't you just luv demand pricing.

I'm excited about these last 1000 words. Realize that excitement used to build to mania. I think it's because finishing an important stage releases more energy into my mind and body.

I visualize excitement and progress as a zipper with one side mania and the other side joy. What I'm looking to do is open the zipper and only run on the excitement to joy side. Joy is pure good feeling, breathing, nothing left to do. I've given up on mania; enuff said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYlvdLdK9w

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm identifying a lot with what you're writing about. To the page.

Me - I wrote a little this morning. It was all editing. I'm going to write five different endings (very rough drafts.) and see which one I like the best.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:49 am

Hi folks,

Yikes! 12 days left to finish essay. Tomorrow it will be 11 days.

Current status is I have it around 7700 words, of 8000 max. This is good, and I know things I'll expand upon and a few places to trim. That's what I always think and then the writing finds its own way, like a river.

Just went walking to awaken my brain. Worked! Came back full of ideas to get right to. For a moment I looked at my email tab and thought "don't you dare!"

Today:
Return some books to library, get a receipt
talk with support friend for 20 minutes
order ironpatches.co supposedly serious patches. For a break last night calculated which products were the most patch for the money. Funny, a month ago I figured out a work around using knee supports under my jeans.
arrange 10 hours of co-editing time with a few friends.
nap
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

27th

Postby Lynx » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:50 am

Today:
Return some books to library, get a receipt [x-done]
talk with support friend for 20 minutes [x]
order ironpatches.co supposedly serious patches. For a break last night calculated which products were the most patch for the money. Funny, a month ago I figured out a work around using knee supports under my jeans. [later, ordered a trackpad 2 for our Mac instead. decided one order a day, so still have ironpatches and turbotax to fiddle with]
arrange 10 hours of co-editing time with a few friends. [sent email]
nap [x]

Got Steinbeck's journals for Grapes of Wrath. He did it journal/diary form for that book, not the letter form he used for East of Eden. Skimming through for his quotes on his process.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:16 am

Sounds as if you're close, Lynx.

Me -

A few more Christmas-related activities to do. The last few days involved family matters mostly, which is as it should be.

Re writing - I'm feeling my way around the ending. I wrote four different endings. None of them grabbed me and said "I'm it." I'm thinking that if I keep working and writing something, it will hit me. Tom is reading and proofing what I've written so far. A lot of it is good enough to let someone else read.

The hard part is this - I'm writing and it doesn't look as if I'm getting anywhere. It's like you have to find out what doesn't work before you find out what does. But it doesn't feel like real work.

I want to fix up my back yard. I want to work on a small patch at a time.

Maybe I'll putz with the ending for a bit and then start my day.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:37 pm

I have a kidnapping, paid assassin, and other stuff. You'd think that would be easy to write. :bash: And I need an unexpected twist. It's one of my five endings. As my friend used to say, "it's like pulling teeth." cliche but true.

I'm piling sand into a box so that I can later build sand castles. Thanks, Inspire.

It seems to me that one ought to rejoice in the fact of death—ought to decide, indeed, to earn one’s death by confronting with passion the conundrum of life. Thanks, Lynx

I figure if I bitch about it long enough, something will come to me.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

29 Warm Up

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 am

Here I am, sort of wanted to get up early, but the cold house led be back to bed. One room has a timer and I'll set it for about 7:30 when I usually feel awake.

Had a rousing support meeting with someone in my mens group who was genuinely interested.

Just 15 minutes to work before I got to leave the house. Some blocks of text to move around and a quote to select.

Keep at your labors, Elaine, something will pop.

To the page,
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:10 am

to the page
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:09 am

Hi Folks,

Up Early by design from going to bed by 10:30. Have about 40 minutes so this will be brief. Want to make some edits, that's going to be my daily grind till i submit it.

Today I am going to reach out to friends to see if they'd like to co-edit with me a section. Would be great to get a commitment for the whole (±10 hrs) but not likely.

With little more than week to go ...

To the page (2tp),

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:41 am

To the walk

to the airport (ride for a friend.)

to the page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

31 Steinbeck Workdays

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:27 am

Hi folks,

A bit longer warm-up today. Entering an interesting phase where I share this pile of pages with other people. The great news is that I sent out my request and so far I've gotten 5 responses. The better news is the woman who taught me the benefits of co-proofing now living in CA instantly shot back she'd "LOVE to help" and proposed some times.

There's part of me that's ramps up to learn while I'm working on new creative stuff. Not sure this is wise, but here I am. Mostly I've been dripping this away on idle searches and some buys: visiting a couple of grocery outlets looking for organic stuff; looking at track pad 2s on ebay before and after Christmas (some drop in price after the holiday).

Also looked into the diary of John Steinbeck, the patron writer for warm-ups, maintained for his work on The Grapes of Wrath. Brainpickings got a good review of it here: https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/03/0 ... king-days/

One of the "learnings" i'll poke around with is comparing her quote picks with mine to see if she missed any significant ones. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Now that this essay is ready to go out I need to

work in today's edits
    convert from Scrivener to MSWord for the first time [there's that learning edge creeping in again]
    send MSWord file to people who expressed interest
    lock in endnote/footnote format
    see if there is a styleguide
    start a copyedit sheet
    Get back into reading The Artful Editor
    Reread the blog first 10 pages https://first10pages.com

Steady work, an honest days work, poco a poco, the thing moves forward.

Toot he page,

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:38 pm

January 2017 thread started.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories