EXERCISING THE BRAIN

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

EXERCISING THE BRAIN

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:43 pm

I'm posting this in the success stories section because I INTEND TO BE SUCCESSFUL in this area.

I have discovered that my inability to hear is not solely because of my hearing loss, but because of my brain not functioning as well as it should. My brain's slowness in comprehending the messages coming from ears is causing distress and isolation from other people.

My goal here is to find ways to challenge and exercise my brain in hopes that it will help my hearing and therefore increase my ability to interact with people. Barbara Sher always says, "Isolation is a dream killer". I'm not going to let my dreams slip away due to the inability to connect with people via hearing.

My first step is a book called, "Keep your brain fit: 101 ways to tone your brain" by Gareth Moore. I'll post soon to let you know if I recommend it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: EXERCISING THE BRAIN

Postby Fotografa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Good for you! I'm waiting for your book review :)
I can already tell you a few of the things that make my brain swet: learning a new language, or a new instrument, or a new activity, or a new class of something i'm interested in. OR, just meeting new people, new cultures, travelling.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:17 am

Awesome!

I think I wrote before about how stimulating the vestibular system leads to auditory comprehension. So swinging, bouncing, rocking are part of occupational and speech therapy programs.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:30 am

Fotografa wrote: ... learning a new language, or a new instrument, or a new activity, or a new class of something I'm interested in.

I've been wanting to relearn to play piano, play guitar and to relearn to speak Spanish. It makes more sense for me to learn things that use hearing. All 3 of these things involve using hearing, but hearing something else besides struggling to hear and understand English.

Fotografa, Thanks for the reminder.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:33 am

SquarePeg wrote:...stimulating the vestibular system leads to auditory comprehension. So swinging, bouncing, rocking are part of occupational and speech therapy programs.

Very interesting. Especially the idea of speech therapy for stroke victims in relearning speech/hearing. If you know more about this, let me know. All 3 things you mentioned -- swinging, bouncing, and rocking can be done while listening to music.

I think I'll put together my own hearing improvement program based on using music and Spanish.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:19 am

Combining music and movement and Spanish sounds great. Letting your body move to the beat -- dancing, even -- is a way to combine the vestibular stimulation with physical exercise, which will also benefit the brain.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:39 am

I also think your own combination of music and movement exercise program would do good.

Maybe if you are a bit into holistic healing, you could do a little yoga with music and "hearing meditation", like concentrating on what you hear and relax into that.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks for the post, InspireSuccess

Keeping our brains active is something we all need to do - for so many reasons including hearing.

As I'm reading this, I'm trying to think of activities that I can do, and activities that I will keep on doing after the novelty wears off. :lol: So thanks for the reminder.

Good wishes to you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 pm

I checked out two books from the library:

Keep your brain fit: 101 ways to tone your mind Gareth Moore
The little book of big brain games: 517 ways to stretch, strengthen, and grow your brain Ivan Moscovich

If you're a left-brain person who likes things like logic, math, etc. you will like these books. They're obviously written by people who like this kind of stuff.

I'm a right-brain creative person and these books are definitely not for me. I thought maybe the parts that are visual might be good, because I'm an artist/designer, but they're not. I could care less whether circles are turning in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. What I do care about is whether visuals are artistically pleasing.

What I will do to challenge my brain visually is to start drawing again. I'm going to focus on drapery. Drapery does not refer to curtains; it refers to how fabrics fall. If you take a shirt and crumple it and throw it on the floor, the way the fabric falls is called drapery. It's a challenge to see the dark and light, the bright and shadowed, the shaping, etc. Analyzing this and recreating it on the page is interesting. There's a point to it. The point is to recreate an interesting visual.

There are brain challenges that I'm reading about that are interesting and can be done by anyone, whether they are left-brain oriented or right brain oriented. I'll come back and share those with you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: ... activities that I will keep on doing after the novelty wears off.

It's interesting that you mention that. Novelty is what the brain thrives on. When we do the same thing over and over again, the brain isn't challenged, so it gets lazy.

Here's a simple challenge. If you are left-handed, spend one day trying to do everything right-handed. If you are right-handed, spend one day trying to do everything left-handed. It will wake up your brain and give it a good challenge!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Elaine,

You already do something that challenges your brain on a regular basis. You write novels. Remember, I mentioned that the brain loves novelty. You give it novels! :wink: Your brain never knows what challenge you're going to give it on a daily basis. You're already doing one of the best things you can do to keep your brain active and healthy. Congrats! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:48 am

You're right about the writing being a good excercise. I can play solitaire for hours and not get tired of it, but I get tired after I've been writing. But I mainly get tired when the words don't flow trippingly off of my tongue (or my computer.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 am

inspiresuccess wrote:
Elaine Glimme wrote: ... activities that I will keep on doing after the novelty wears off.

It's interesting that you mention that. Novelty is what the brain thrives on. When we do the same thing over and over again, the brain isn't challenged, so it gets lazy.

Here's a simple challenge. If you are left-handed, spend one day trying to do everything right-handed. If you are right-handed, spend one day trying to do everything left-handed. It will wake up your brain and give it a good challenge!
This reminds me.... You could try writing with both hands simultaneously. Or mirror writing. These are ideas from "How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci."
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:52 am

SquarePeg wrote: This reminds me.... You could try writing with both hands simultaneously. Or mirror writing. These are ideas from "How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci."

What's "mirror writing"?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm

I think mirror writing is looking in the mirror instead of the paper while you're writing. Am I right?

I'm going to try both for a break from writing. Right now, the words are flowing trippingly, but I have to take a break every few minutes.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories