EXERCISING THE BRAIN

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: EXERCISING THE BRAIN

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:44 pm

More info: Aerobic exercise is good for the brain because the brain needs a good supply of oxygen. Also -- Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:53 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I think mirror writing is looking in the mirror instead of the paper while you're writing. Am I right?
-snip-
That's a great guess, Elaine. Maybe you're right! I thought it was writing backwards such that when viewed in a mirror, the writing appears correct. So, yes, there's definitely a mirror involved, but I think it's not used while writing.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:13 pm

[quote="SquarePeg" I thought it was writing backwards such that when viewed in a mirror, the writing appears correct. So, yes, there's definitely a mirror involved, but I think it's not used while writing.[/quote]

That sounds even harder.

That's probably what people with dyslexia face.I tried it writing my name. Got it all right except for the capital E. :lol:
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:55 pm

That's good, Elaine! Of course the more you try it, the easier it will become.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 am

Another brain challenge. Try walking backwards as often as you can for one day. Or if you walk on a daily basis, try walking backwards occasionally to trick your brain into being challenged.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am

Interesting! I listen slow. "Limited auditory buffer" per psychology grad student who did a lot of assessment testing (I got about a 90% discount over someone who had finished all the courses -- and helped her with her homework!) It doesn't take much to get enough of an earful that more words don't go in -- or shove out random earlier words before I have time to process and translate them into text. Visual text feels much more like my native language than atmospheric vibrations.

My assessor also mentioned one of the intake questions she asks is "When is the last time you had a full physical exam?" One of her patients was having increasing difficulty with communications. After that question she went to her primary care doctor -- and found out she had ear infections in both ears. 2 weeks of antibiotics later -- problem solved.

In my case auditory stuff has been a problem over half a century, and practice (including a 7-year job that included transcribing from tapes) didn't help much.

I appreciate the book reviews.

A 72 year old friend says "Bouncing keeps me young!"
When she had sinus surgery in her 50's her doctor said "You act like a young person -- and you heal like one too!" Bouncing on the hospital bed was part of his reason for this assessment. :)
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Lyndon wrote:A 72 year old friend says "Bouncing keeps me young!" When she had sinus surgery in her 50's her doctor said "You act like a young person -- and you heal like one too!" Bouncing on the hospital bed was part of his reason for this assessment. :)

:lol:

Lyndon, do your hearing issues make it hard for you to understand people? Do you have to ask them to repeat things or speaker slower?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:47 am

I liked the games on Luminosity

https://www.lumosity.com/landing_pages/ ... Agn58P8HAQ

There are also free apps you can download to your phone like Wordbrain, which can become challenging
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:56 am

Elevate is another good one.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm concerned that Elevate and Luminosity might be similar to the books I mentioned -- mostly for left-brain type people. Do you think that's true?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Here's a brain challenge for you. Take out a pencil and a sheet of paper. Throw something -- a sheet, a towel, a solid colored top, or a crumpled piece of paper, on the floor or a table. Keep staring at it until you start to notice some part of it, then draw a line on the paper in response to what you see. Then keep staring until something else comes to your attention. Keep making lines.

This is not "art". The point is to challenge your brain, not to "draw" something that is supposed to "look like something". Keep doing it until your brain is tired, then throw the paper out. Ask yourself if you feel like your brain was challenged.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:I'm concerned that Elevate and Luminosity might be similar to the books I mentioned -- mostly for left-brain type people. Do you think that's true?
No, there are games that stimulate spatial reasoning, for example. Others that stress attention. But my concern is that you might need the left brain exercises, since language is also a left brain activity. A big clue is that a student will tend to prefer his or her stronger subjects and dread the ones he or she is weak in. The fact that you're opposed to left brain games is telling me that you need them more than the right brain games. So my suggestion is to include some left brain exercises in your regimen.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Also, it's "Lumosity" not "Luminosity" -- only four syllables. I made that mistake at first, too. Or perhaps that was your auto-correct's doing.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:25 pm

More on these games....

I used Lumosity and Elevate on a daily basis for a few months. But I reached a point where my manual dexterity limited my growth. For example, one game in Elevate requires you to enter synonyms for a word. There's a time limit and in order to show improvement in that game, the time limit gets progressively shorter each time you play. At some point, even if you can think of the synonyms instantly, you're being "graded" on how quickly you can type them in.

But I don't think this is an reason to avoid the games. They're free, and if you do reach the point where dexterity hampers your growth, you can switch to some other program, such as playing an instrument, for example. (Here I mean "program" in a very broad sense, as opposed to computer program.)
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:51 pm

SquarePeg, I appreciate your advice to do some left-brained games. However, I don't have to specifically do things I don't enjoy, like these games and puzzles, in order to challenge my left brain. The books I've read that don't suggest games, suggest the following, which all interest me a great deal:

Learning a new language. 40 years ago I spoke Spanish fluently. I'm planning on learning again. I've started watching Spanish soap operas. Very fun to not only relearn the language, but with the additional challenge of figuring out what is going on with the characters. As you mentioned, language is left-brained.

Learn to do art work. I'm starting over in that as well. As far as your response to the spatial games, I tried them. Boring and pointless for me. Doing art is equally challenging spatially and for some of us, much more fun. For a spatial challenge, I suggest people here to try the one I posted using the crumpled fabric. I especially recommend it to left-brained people to get out of the safety of their usual games and puzzles.

Learn a musical instrument. 20 years ago, I played piano and guitar. I'm planning on playing again. In order to do the pieces I want to play, I have to relearn reading written music. Definitely left brain. Not my favorite part of playing, but I'm willing to do left-brain things when there is a point to them and they lead me to doing something I do enjoy -- actually playing the music.

Many people enjoy the challenge of games and puzzles. I think it's great they've found something they enjoy while exercising their brains. For those of use who don't enjoy those things, there are plenty of ways to challenge both left and right brain regions, while doing things we enjoy.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories